Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jameo)
    While in England recently I noticed that all the Irish people had a great sense of pride about being Irish.I asked myself the question.Why?
    I'm from dublin and began to feel this pride too.Its like some kind of superiority complex.Is it built into us in primary school or by our parents.
    Anyho,just thought id mention it!
    Ireland wooo!!
    Definitely the parents, those beggers have been brainwashing me since birth!:rolleyes:
    But yup, ask anyone in my school what nationality I am, and depite my thoroughly English accent they'll say 'What that ******? Oh he's Irish.'

Zoecb: I'm afriad I'm going to have to use that as my avatar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddylad)
    Ireland wooo!!
    Definitely the parents, those beggers have been brainwashing me since birth!:rolleyes:
    But yup, ask anyone in my school what nationality I am, and depite my thoroughly English accent they'll say 'What that ******? Oh he's Irish.'

Zoecb: I'm afriad I'm going to have to use that as my avatar
    were you born in ROI?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    were you born in ROI?
    London actually, I have dual nationality but both parents are from ROI, I was christened there and am shortly moving back there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jameo)
    While in England recently I noticed that all the Irish people had a great sense of pride about being Irish.I asked myself the question.Why?
    I'm from dublin and began to feel this pride too.Its like some kind of superiority complex.Is it built into us in primary school or by our parents.
    Anyho,just thought id mention it!
    Did you got to Trinity college? I want to go because I love Irishness like Geldof, U2 and definately Sinead O' Connor - she's cool. Have pride for your country - just don't see yourself suprerior to others whio are not Irish.

ReputationRep:
    Btw, don't you hate that Brian Mcfadden who left Westlife? Urgh - do you know what his album was called? Irish son, English heart... eek.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Basilisk)
    Btw, don't you hate that Brian Mcfadden who left Westlife? Urgh - do you know what his album was called? Irish son, English heart... eek.
    *vomits*
    OH I applied for Trinity College!

ReputationRep:
    Haha! Nice icon!!! The actor is Stuart Townsend btw.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're thinking of 'Irish blood, English heart' by Morrissey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    I think you're thinking of 'Irish blood, English heart' by Morrissey
    Oh yeah... easy mistake

But just look at the lyrics to Irish Son, it's just :eek:

I was born in the heart of Dublin
    Back when being gay wasn't cool
    Made get on our knees every Sunday with the other fools

We were warped by the Christian Brothers
    In the cell blocks at our schools
    Get a handprint on your skin
    Before you break their rules

ReputationRep:
    the bryan mcfadden album was just called irish son

some profound lyrics on that one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    Haha! Nice icon!!! The actor is Stuart Townsend btw.
    I was about to ask you who it was!!
    Am very happy with my new handsome avatar I may have to marry him! Although, I should raise this in the gay marriage thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dead man's shoes)
    the bryan mcfadden album was just called irish son

some profound lyrics on that one
    Yeah I know what you mean. I kinda liked the line "Go hit me now
    That I'm twice your size" -i t reminds me of my brother. He always goes on about how he'd beat his teachers up he saw 'em now. He's huge btw and he used to be really little and skinny in his teens.

ReputationRep:
    Some bits of Ireland are stunning. But the same is the case in every country, really.

Like Technik says, there're scummy bits, nice bits, and everything in between. Same with the people. Nice enough that there's a romantic idea surrounding Irishness, but don't let it cloud your opinion on a place and people that is as varied in terms as niceness as everywhere else.

And as for Irish accents? Some of them are just... rough. :/

I'm much more familiar with the Irish communities in W. London than Ireland itself, but I've been out to Cork a good few times. And all me grandparents are/were Irish. That's my Irish credentials, because they're apparently important to some people. I don't feel particularly Irish though, I'm just a bit more involved in some of it than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrus)
    Southern Ireland prehaps, the Northern Irish accent is painful to hear (listen to Ian Paisley).
    I love the Northern Irish accent! Especially the Tyrone accent hmm!

ReputationRep:
    I'm quarter-Irish, though you wouldn't think it to look at me.

ReputationRep:
    no eyebrows on your cheeks?

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah... easy mistake

But just look at the lyrics to Irish Son, it's just :eek:

I was born in the heart of Dublin
    Back when being gay wasn't cool
    Made get on our knees every Sunday with the other fools

We were warped by the Christian Brothers
    In the cell blocks at our schools
    Get a handprint on your skin
    Before you break their rules
    Cliché ridden.
    My uncle and my father were sent to the Christian Brothers at a fairly young age...not a nice experience...or so I'm told.

One of them was supposed to become a priest. But my uncle became an alcoholic fireman and my father became an alcoholic low-ranking civil servant. My (late) grandmother was not pleased.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dead man's shoes)
    no eyebrows on your cheeks?
    Well, I pluck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I'm quarter-Irish, though you wouldn't think it to look at me.
    Irish and Welsh? You would only need a touch of Scottish heritage with a scintilla of Indian blood to have a complete, full bodied anti-English complex.

ReputationRep:
    all these "multi ethnics" or whatever you'd call it.

i, my brother, mum, dad, both grans, grandas, aunts, uncles and cousins were all born in belfast or north down...which is the 15 or so miles of land along the coast. most of the rest of my family is probably similar. not aware of any of them coming from outside NI

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.