Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do we wear skinny jeans? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exoskeletal)
    there are a fair number of not just overweight but obese people in my fair city who wear skinnies (I've seen a few boys at it too), and most would rather they didn't.
    Uggh, I know what you mean! People should remember to dress for their body shape, not because something is in fashion!

I always see boys wearing skinny jeans and I hate it! Me and my housemate both have the gray Baxter jeans from Topshop, and were driving through Manchester when we both shouted, "That boy has our jeans on!" It was shocking - I saw waaaay too much of him than I wanted to!

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't wear skinnies (size 12 on bottom) although I do have a friend who is a similar size to me and looks great in them...they do a lot more for her legs and bum than bootcut jeans anyway.
    If you've got the figure I don't see why you shouldn't wear them, they look pretty cool.

ReputationRep:
    I love the look. But cant wear jeans. They dont fit. Ever.

Ive never ever had a pair of jeans that looked good on me. But thats cool. Skirts are nice too.

ReputationRep:
    'Cause they make me feel like Kate Moss

ReputationRep:
    I personally hate skinny jeans and the whole indie type fashion that includes converse sneakers etc etc. I find it scruffy.

Sarah

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its particularly size that matters when wearing skinny jeans but proportion. Someone like Scarlett Johansson would look ridiculous in skinny jeans, but someone who was in a bit more proportion but the same size wouldn't. I think they look really nice with wedges or pointy courts and a long tshirt for a summer look

ReputationRep:
    I'm sick of seeing them now, they have been out too long now and wish something new would some about!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I have a couple of pairs and I wear mine slightly baggier, because of my leg length(size 8 about 28-29" leg..find it more awkward sometimes). I prefer that to reeeaally tight fitting pairs because I'm quite self conscious if everything was clinging to me, so I usually wear my long-length tops with them to cover my bum too!

I do like wearing them, but I like that topshop etc are focusing on new jeans cuts rather than "OMG MORE BAXTERS?!!?". I like my baggy jeans too!!

ReputationRep:
    Aye skinny jeans are out now anyway. Go for the cropped ones.

ReputationRep:
    I wear skinny jeans because they actually give me something resembling a feminine figure. Most other jeans make me look like a 10-year-old boy. They're also the only jeans I've ever tried on that actually seem not to be either too big or too small (I'm smack bang in between two sizes)...maybe it's the stretch thing...

I will, however, never buy Topshop skinnies again. I washed mine once on a medium cycle and the waistband expanded by three inches. Nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Satine)
    I wear skinny jeans because they actually give me something resembling a feminine figure. Most other jeans make me look like a 10-year-old boy. They're also the only jeans I've ever tried on that actually seem not to be either too big or too small (I'm smack bang in between two sizes)...maybe it's the stretch thing...

I will, however, never buy Topshop skinnies again. I washed mine once on a medium cycle and the waistband expanded by three inches. Nice.
    Oooh really? When I wash my blacktopshop ones it makes them all tight again. I was stupid enough to buy the 26 waist so thery fall down, but after the wash they fit better again.

ReputationRep:
    gosh, the 26 waist fall down? you are slim indeed.

I wear the 26 by 36 inch, fit like a glove

ReputationRep:
    I would love to wear skinny jeans but they just never look right on me. I dont think there is a certain 'type' of person who can pull them off. There are loads of different styles of skinny jean and it just takes time to try them all on!

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, I went to London yesterday and wherever I looked people had them on. Went into Topshop to find some new jeans and the baxter range has taken over! How many colours do they frikin come in, argh! People wear them because they are the 'in thing'.

ReputationRep:
    Skinny jeans are soooo hard to pull off! I think they only really suit people with quite boyish figures, not too much of a bum or hips. I think that for the majority of people bootleg jeans will always be more flattering.

ReputationRep:
    i never wear skinny jeans because i don't like my legs and don't want to show them off at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel_Cake)
    Skinny jeans are soooo hard to pull off! I think they only really suit people with quite boyish figures, not too much of a bum or hips. I think that for the majority of people bootleg jeans will always be more flattering.
    :dito: I agree with that; almost all the people I've seen who pull them off are very thin (often tall too) - though that said I have seen curvier people who pull them off thanks to having the right proportions. Having a 23 inch waist but a size 10-12 arse means that skinny jeans are not a great look for me :p: They can look great on the right people though. I much prefer kick flares or bootlegs. Bloody Kate Moss starting trends

ReputationRep:
    I know, damn her! I like straight cut jeans because they're fitted but not too flared

ReputationRep:
    Why all this talk about women how you think are fat wearing them? Look i am 5"9 and i am a very curvy girl i am a size 14 sometimes a 16 but i can get away with Skinny Jeans Since i am quite tall.

Women are ment to be the hourglass figure and skinny jeans help me to gain that They are soo much more flarttering for me then bootcut jeans, they make my look fat. If skinny jeans were for only girls who had no figure then why the hell do they sell sizes from 12 - 18 then?

It does not matter how your body is to wear them. But personaly i would not what to be a really skinny girl, and besides i get a lot of compliments about them since i am not skinny i am curvey and i carry them better thean ones without a bum or extreamly skinny legs.

ReputationRep:
    Well they have to make them in larger sizes, or shops would be flooded with complaints. I just think they look so awful on some people - their hips look massive, they look stumpy and so very top heavy.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.