Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Girl_Anachronism)
    I'm more into punk myself. Dare I say.. punk rock.
    Very nice. :p: So... who are you into? And what sort of punk are we talking about here - more modern stuff or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n u c l e a r b u d d h a)
    Rock is a huge genre, though; surely grunge and the like come under it?
    Rock Genres

Big up alt + prog rock

(Original post by Optimistic)
    Rock Genres

Big up alt + prog rock
    Good heavens. That list is huge. No wonder nobody knows/cares what anything is.

ReputationRep:
    I like alot of old-school stuff and some newer power progressive metal (might not be considered in this thread :p: sorry if it ain't)

I think Nirvana were good, a bit samey i see where you're coming from but they're an awesome band nonetheless. I also agree that they wouldn't be as famous if Kurt hadn't shot himself...

GnR, how can people argue that they're crap?? I mean, Appetite for Destruction sold like mad and they were the kings of the music scene at one time... Personally i think the old GnR was fantastic if not a little bit elaborative (ie huge solos)

ReputationRep:
    Good heavens. That list is huge. No wonder nobody knows/cares what anything is.
    But for someone who truly delves into the music then they would be able to pick up on things like genre as they go along just with the experience.

Oh and i don't consider half of that stuff as proper genres. Jay Sweat Rock? What the hell is that?

(Original post by rashid1988)
    But for someone who truly delves into the music then they would be able to pick up on things like genre as they go along just with the experience.
    Yeah, probably; they'd be able to pick up on all those subtle differences. But then people disagree on what makes up each genre anyway so why would they bother? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, probably; they'd be able to pick up on all those subtle differences. But then people disagree on what makes up each genre anyway so why would they bother? :p:
    Yeah the subtle differences are sometimes the only differences :p: Well, it gives someone a direction/ more specific area if they're looking for something in particular. So if one identifies a sound and then asks for more of it by genre then people's recommendations can go alot further.

I think it'd be easier to ask for similar bands, though, rather than going by genre. Even then there'd be problems I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I think it'd be easier to ask for similar bands, though, rather than going by genre. Even then there'd be problems I suppose.
    Aren't they relatively alike though? Bands are similar, in the context within which we're speaking (recommendations), by genre mostly right?

Yeah... but then (for example) if someone asks for an 'indie' recommendation, some people would suggest obscure bands on independant labels and some would suggest bands like the Kaiser Chiefs (which I wouldn't consider to be indie at all).

If that person instead asked for groups similar to the Kaiser Chiefs, the suggestions would hopefully be more suitable.

ReputationRep:
    What's Soundgarden's best album? I've got about 7 of them and I dont really know where to start :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkened Angel)
    What's Soundgarden's best album? I've got about 7 of them and I dont really know where to start :p:
    Superunknown is supposed to be good!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... but then (for example) if someone asks for an 'indie' recommendation, some people would suggest obscure bands on independant labels and some would suggest bands like the Kaiser Chiefs (which I wouldn't consider to be indie at all).

If that person instead asked for groups similar to the Kaiser Chiefs, the suggestions would hopefully be more suitable.
    Ah yeah you're right, sorry indie is one huge genre (which i don't really like) with like ample amounts of bands many people disagree on. I was talking perhaps about sub-genres (but then that's my mistake for not making it clear).

Also, don't some Indie bands fit into other genres as well... for me, indie isn't really a genre per se cos isn't a genre supposed to relate to the sound of the material? But indie doesn't tell you about the sound... Or at least the sound is a conception through other bands classed as Indie. I havent heard much indie though so correct me if im wrong.

I still stand by the original point of this discussion that genres help in identification, if used properly though.

ReputationRep:
    Superunknown is supposed to be good!
    Thanks, will check it out

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah you're right, sorry indie is one huge genre (which i don't really like) with like ample amounts of bands many people disagree on. I was talking perhaps about sub-genres (but then that's my mistake for not making it clear).

Also, don't some Indie bands fit into other genres as well... for me, indie isn't really a genre per se cos isn't a genre supposed to relate to the sound of the material? But indie doesn't tell you about the sound... Or at least the sound is a conception through other bands classed as Indie. I havent heard much indie though so correct me if im wrong.

I still stand by the original point of this discussion that genres help in identification, if used properly though.
    I'm not much of an indie fan either, the only indie rock bands I've heard are Arctic Monkeys and Kaiser Cheifs, dont like either of them much. I'm more into American rock atm.

What exactly is indie anyway? I thought it was some sort of alternative rock that doesnt fit into any other rock genres?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not much of an indie fan either, the only indie rock bands I've heard are Arctic Monkeys and Kaiser Cheifs, dont like either of them much. I'm more into American rock atm.

What exactly is indie anyway? I thought it was some sort of alternative rock that doesnt fit into any other rock genres?
    From what i know, Indie is shorthand for 'independant' rock. So it's like rock that's not on a big commercial label. From this, it gives nothing about the sound of the music. So i dunno... :confused: Basically for me i could start a death metal band and not be on a large label/ be unsigned. Does that make my band an indie death metal band? Someone with more knowledge help us out...

ReputationRep:
    From what i know, Indie is shorthand for 'independant' rock. So it's like rock that's not on a big commercial label. From this, it gives nothing about the sound of the music. So i dunno... :confused: Basically for me i could start a death metal band and not be on a large label/ be unsigned. Does that make my band an indie death metal band? Someone with more knowledge help us out...
    Well if thats the case then the Arctic Monkeys and Kaiser Cheifs aren't indie anymore.
    I've checked wikipedia and it said its any music thats not a major label, so I wouldn't classify indie an a genre, isn't genre meant to describe the type of music it is?

ReputationRep:
    Well if thats the sace then the Arctic Monkeys and Kaiser Cheifs aren't indie anymore.
    I've checked wikipedia and it said its any music thats not a major label, so I wouldn't classify indie an a genre, isn't genre meant to describe the type of music it is?
    :ditto: my point exactly. In which case 'indie' doesn't really describe the sound of the music.

ReputationRep:
    My favourite rock band atm is Nirvana, fell in love with them first time I heard them Also love Coheed and Cambria, 3 Doors Down, ACDC and Guns & Roses.
    Yeah, Nirvana! Overrated? No!

And saying they were only widely known because of Cobain's death is totally untrue.. not all bands with singers who kill themselves become instantly famous.

Plus Coheed do rock, although personally I think I prefer their first album to the newer stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biffy Clyro)
    Plus Coheed do rock, although personally I think I prefer their first album to the newer stuff.
    I've only got their latest album atm, totally love it Any good recommendations for one of their earlier albums?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.