Turn on thread page Beta

Need a good comeback watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So glad I'm not the only person who thinks this. It can be really hurtful. I'm happy with my body but pratts like him just make me feel so helpless - like I can't fight back.

People have made some really good suggestions, thanks.

I would love to know when the hell the whole weight thing started in history though, like there's something wrong with you if you are bigger/smaller than sizes 8 to 14 (or thereabouts, I don't know where the 'socially accepted' standards lie). I bet it came with the advent of the corset! I'll bet if you presented a group of cavemen with a nice voluptuous size 18 woman they wouldn't complain. The same with e size 6 one - easier for them to swing her over their shoulder and take her back to their cave, lol.
    That amused me. I suppose way back in history men would have slept with size 6 girls as in ancient societies, I'm thinking Greek and Roman, girls were married as young as 11/12.

(Original post by Kernel)
    Oh, and seeking witty retorts via the internet, is really poor form.
    Actually, my original post was not seeking a witty retort:

"So the bottom line is, what can I say to jerks like this to shut them up, without sinking to their level and offending them."

It was to find something I can say to them which isn't stupid or offensive and doesn't leave me feeling helpless.

But yes I did get carried along with the humour of the thread in the end - some of these comments are d*mned funny!

ReputationRep:
    It was to find something I can say to them which isn't stupid or offensive and doesn't leave me feeling helpless.
    Well a witty retort would do just that, no?

Anyway, perhaps drown his remark in a sea of sarcastic praise for his hilarious remark, its crude but effective. I dunno, I'm no good at this- I'd like to think I go for the witty retort, but any decent responses only materialise in my brain about 10 mins after the event, if they materialise at all.

ReputationRep:
    sod being polite and just tell him "yeh...i wish my t*ts were as big as yours"

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who thinks that might not be as insulting as you think??? In fact, it could even be seen as a compliment...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crosseyed_cat)
    haha class!!

to the OP, i know what you mean, i think it's so unfair that it's ok for larger people to pass what can be quite insulting remarks about thin people's weight, yet were the situation reversed we'd more than likely get a slap for it.

i can never think of anything good to say in response to such comments either though

It's so unfair, you've heeded all of the government advice about exercising, eating well, keeping your weight down. But then you get horrible comments about it.

but I guess it's a jelousy thing. Just like when yu do well at school you get bullied. I find that the jelousy bullying is much more hurtful than the other stuff. I got a lot of comments at school about being ugly, my acne, etc and they just rolled off me. But stuff like this, I don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crosseyed_cat)
    LIKE IT.

ReputationRep:
    I need some advice.

I’m quite slim (size 6, but I have very tiny bones so it looks totally normal on me, also have a bodyfat % of 21 so I’m not underweight). I am sick to death of having to defend myself for it. For example, the other day at work we were having a discussion about food and one guy said he didn’t like cream, and I said, oooh , I love it. He then turned to look me up and down and said, yeah, as if YOU’D eat that. I just couldn’t think what to say back to him – I could have made some snide retort about his rather ‘rotund’ frame but I’m not like that. I ended up trying to justify it instead and ended up blabbering.

His comment really hurt me – he didn’t say it in a jokey way either. I get this quite a bit from people, it’s as if I have something wrong with me because I don’t worry about my weight. I know a few of the people who aren’t happy with theirs may take offence to what I’m saying and I’m sorry for that.

I eat as healthily as I can, but am of course partial to the odd pizza and packet of crisps. However I do a lot of exercise (I have to for my job) and the weight stays off. If I stop exercising I put on weight like crazy, so it’s not like I’m one of those ‘fast metabolism’ people and I understand what it’s like to put on weight and not be able to help it – I did after I finished school.

So the bottom line is, what can I say to jerks like this to shut them up, without sinking to their level and offending them.

Thanks
    I think you're being a bit touchy (easy for me to day) about a comment that's bound to come up and sometimes it won't even be with a bad intention.

If this guy is overweight, just tap into that. If he said "as if you would eat that" just say "Why not? I'm not allowed to eat because i'm not huge? You seem to think you're the only one who can stuff your face with crap?"

Thanks rep thought appreciated.

I wouldn't post anon, but people on here know me in person and I'd get grief for this. If I asked my friends I wouldn't get an unbiased answer. It would be along the lines of, 'stop complaining, you're so lucky'.
    Yep, I agree. It's hard to find clothes which fit, and whenever I complain my friends always say: "You're so lucky, I wish I was like that..". It gets really annoying, because sometimes people assume that you don't eat very much or even have an eating disorder, but I eat way more than the average person.

If the person says it again, just look quite surprised and say: "I'm afraid you've got it wrong, I do rather like my food! And surely we're on level terms with that one. "

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Dont give hims some crummy cliched remark you found on the internet about his mum getting carpet burn when he was born. Instead just laugh hysterically really really loudly and keep saying he is so funny and tell everyone what he said, I can guarantee he would hate it.

ReputationRep:
    Next time you're due to be in the same room as him, take a big carton of cream with you, and guzzle it down in a way that 'accidentally' gets his attention. I did this to someone who had a go at me for my body size (a tall skinny male) and my ability to eat anything, and they haven't bothered me since!

Nor have they spoken to me... ah well!

ReputationRep:
    ^ Funny :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Agree with someone earlier that you should just say 'What?' in a confused voice like you don't understand why he thinks that - then that shows you're not conscious of why he thinks you wouldn't.

Or something like 'well not on its own of course, with chocolate cake or strawberries or something like that' just don't even acknowledge that what he said could be perceived as an insult or insinuation (sp?)

ReputationRep:
    So glad I'm not the only person who thinks this. It can be really hurtful. I'm happy with my body but pratts like him just make me feel so helpless - like I can't fight back.

People have made some really good suggestions, thanks.

I would love to know when the hell the whole weight thing started in history though, like there's something wrong with you if you are bigger/smaller than sizes 8 to 14 (or thereabouts, I don't know where the 'socially accepted' standards lie). I bet it came with the advent of the corset! I'll bet if you presented a group of cavemen with a nice voluptuous size 18 woman they wouldn't complain. The same with e size 6 one - easier for them to swing her over their shoulder and take her back to their cave, lol.
    You've hit the nail on the head there

Bah i blame the media :p:

i'm a 14/16....and i'm treated like i'm pathetic. Well sorry guys, but hey at least i have a good body for bearing kids and i could survive quite a while without food

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.