Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    Cache is massively important for gaming performance. Why do you think Celerons are so badat games?
    Only up to a point - the 256k onboard the Semprons doesn't make an enormous performance difference to a 512k Athlon. The K7 architecture doesn't need quite so much cache as Intel's chips, which suffer a lot more from a cut in L2 than the competing AMD model.

While I don't own a Sempron personally, I built a machine for my father a while ago with a 2600+ and have found it to be a very good performer for the money; he does a lot of music editing and it holds up very well against the CPU-intensive effects applied to tracks in real-time.

(Original post by dazmanultra)
    On-board memory of the graphics card is largely unimportant compared to the actual GPU itself.
    This is true in a lot of cases, but modern games are starting to need 256 megabytes or even more to run as they're meant to be played. Of course, if high-end games aren't being played then this is irrelevant and 128MB will be fine, but I wouldn't say that it's largely unimportant.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help guys.

(Original post by __WiZaRD__)
    Im an amatuer at this, so please bare with me. Ok so the graphics card has on-board memory, so this means it will use memory of my RAM? But then why does it say the the graphics card has 256MB of memory?
    Anyone?

So a Sempron 3000+ is a good processor for the price right? I just want to make sure i dont get something stupid like a celeron.

Any comments about the graphics card this PC has?

ReputationRep:
    So a Sempron 3000+ is a good processor for the price right? I just want to make sure i dont get something stupid like a celeron.
    While obviously not the fastest processors out there, the Sempron 3000s are pretty nippy. You're limited in terms of upgrade options with that socket, but you will have to spend a fair amount more to get something decent with good future-proofing.

Any comments about the graphics card this PC has?
    It's not a graphics card per se, but instead an integrated solution that's in the chipset of the PC's motherboard. The specification allows for the solution to have dedicated memory, but to save costs most OEMs just have it sharing main system memory (this is referred to as a unified memory architecture). To be honest, performance on it is going to be fairly poor compared to the range of graphics solutions out there at the moment; it'll definitely get you by, but to really get the most out of any modern games it would be best for you to invest in an upgraded video card.

Unfortunately, a number of motherboards with integrated graphics chipsets lack the critical AGP or PCI-Express expansion slots into which you can plug new video cards - is there any way that you can find more information on one slots are available?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitman012)
    This is true in a lot of cases, but modern games are starting to need 256 megabytes or even more to run as they're meant to be played. Of course, if high-end games aren't being played then this is irrelevant and 128MB will be fine, but I wouldn't say that it's largely unimportant.
    Any game that needs to use 256MB of RAM is pushing around a lot of data and is going to need a lot of grunt, thus a 256MB 6200 for example is going to get outclassed by a 128MB FX5900/Radeon 9700...

The Semprons are obviously slower than the equivalently clocked Athlon 64 in games, usually by about 12%. This isnt as huge a gap as the price difference. The Celerons are significantly slower. In fact, the 3100 and higher Semprons are actually faster than 3ghz P4s in games.

As for the Xpress 200 chipset, its not bad for onboard graphics, but I'd highly recommend you invest about £50 more in order to get a discrete graphics card which will offer far better performance. In fact, there were some cheap X800 cards on Overclockers UK...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 16, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.