Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Leigh)
    Was the leaflet posted or just delivered by hand?.
    It was posted through my letterbox,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Leigh)
    So it's in a conference room or something? Sounds a bit more credible I suppose.
    The ones that I have been to were.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Eitherway, it's not going to be legitimate, is it?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt even bother checking out. i dont mind the stolen part - thats none of my business - although i wouldnt buy something that is obviously stolen - like a TV without its proper box, manual etc. [so if you check out if they give you a manual, proper box, some sort of guarantee.- if the product is already registered, it's definitely stolen]. what i really mind is being sold fakes. now i hate that

ReputationRep:
    Theyll probably rob your house when your out...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova2)
    Theyll probably rob your house when your out...
    And sell it back to you at the sale!

OMG the sale is to try and get you out of the house so they can rob you. And when you call the police you can't say where you were because it was a stolen goods sale!

The perfect crime...

ReputationRep:
    If its something you could try out when you're there, ask to do so, if they refuse you know its going to be broken or not work or something similar.

I'd personally be weary, doesn't sound like a very professional thing to be honest.

Make sure you don't buy things for the sake of it just because they are cheap either! You'll only end up dissapointed when this £45 PSP turns out to be crap!

ReputationRep:
    This IS a con trust me. They won't have any of that. They'll sell some stuff cheap to someone and make everyone else pay and you'll get junk (my mate paid £5 for a pen) and eventually they will sell some crappy cameras or something for like £60. Its a proper con trust me

ReputationRep:
    I think we should send sunny316 along so that he can give us feedback afterwards!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashmufc)
    Just call your crew, taking a minimum of say 20 people, and raid the place.
    :ditto:
    Except for the "raid the place" part :eek: unless you can take them :p:

ReputationRep:
    No ive been to one of these they have like one of each and bascily you pay to get in .. and its first come first served. they have loads of higher then normal price stuff ... so they entice you in with the cheap stuff then flogg you expensive stuff which you think is cheap .. if that makes sense .. ts just a gimmick to get you there. when i went there was one thing that surposedly was sold earlier .. if it was even there in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes they are run by debt collection companies who have gone to shops etc when they have gone bust and taken all the stock. The stock is then sold at these auctions and then the money is used to pay off the debts of the store.

(Original post by parag)

ReputationRep:
    If it was from a debt collection agency then surely they would have an official location for this auction because they do them all the time. This sounds really dodgy and if you only end-up with damaged or stolen goods then call yourself lucky, once you are in the hotel room what happens to you is under the complete control of a group of strangers with no formal address and no comeback. You are not just gambling your money you are gambling your safety as well.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.