Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, I never get close enough to see what make they are. I may be eaten by their kerazeeeee hairstyles or mutantly large wallets :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posh_git)
    honestly! people!

there's nothing wrong with being a rah...

some rahs posess non-rah-ish personalities you know, but just like to dress smartly!
    I like to dress smartly sometimes, theres a lot more to being a rah than that

ReputationRep:
    but by the sounds of things you guys are predominantly judging ppl on what they wear ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posh_git)
    but by the sounds of things you guys are predominantly judging ppl on what they wear ...
    Sorry but *******s, I've never met a person wearing stereotypically rah-clothing and not been a rah. NEVER.

It's a fact of life - people who AREN'T rahs know what rahs wear and so don't wear that. I would never ever ever ever wear rah clothes (unless for fancy dress) because I know most people would look at me and think I'm a prat (aka rah).

HOWEVER....as I said, some rahs are nice and some aren't. There are generally two types of rahs:

"Academic" rahs - generally the nicer ones, bit quieter and actually accepting of others mostly, very much seem like they could be close relatives of the Royal Family.

"Sporting" rahs - wear a lot of Team Durham stash constantly as well as the stereotypical clothing. Usually gits, think they're the best at everything (probably are unfortunately), but have tiny minds and only think about getting wasted and pulling constantly. Couldn't care less about others, just themselves, and look down on people who aren't rahs.

FACTS OF LIFE. Deal with it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    Sorry but *******s, I've never met a person wearing stereotypically rah-clothing and not been a rah. NEVER.

It's a fact of life - people who AREN'T rahs know what rahs wear and so don't wear that. I would never ever ever ever wear rah clothes (unless for fancy dress) because I know most people would look at me and think I'm a prat (aka rah).

HOWEVER....as I said, some rahs are nice and some aren't. There are generally two types of rahs:

"Academic" rahs - generally the nicer ones, bit quieter and actually accepting of others mostly, very much seem like they could be close relatives of the Royal Family.

"Sporting" rahs - wear a lot of Team Durham stash constantly as well as the stereotypical clothing. Usually gits, think they're the best at everything (probably are unfortunately), but have tiny minds and only think about getting wasted and pulling constantly. Couldn't care less about others, just themselves, and look down on people who aren't rahs.

FACTS OF LIFE. Deal with it :p:
    new debate foe when I run for pres of the dus (as a controversial "peoples candidate" bring the society back down to earth) the house believes anybody wearing thier collar down is lower class scum

ReputationRep:
    I agree, however, despite my very unrahish upbringing and life I do have slight rahish tendencies, like wearing a collar on a rugby shirt up (especially when I'm wearing a hoodie over it) and.......actually that's it.

Oh well.

Edit: woah, cobra, spooky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    Edit: woah, cobra, spooky.
    hehe, well it started as a joke, then it seemed like a fun idea so I'm looking into if I can, just as if i won it'd be so funny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra)
    hehe, well it started as a joke, then it seemed like a fun idea so I'm looking into if I can, just as if i won it'd be so funny
    Dude, I'd vote for you.

Though I'm not a member.

But if I was, I would

DUS sucks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra)
    new debate foe when I run for pres of the dus (as a controversial "peoples candidate" bring the society back down to earth) the house believes anybody wearing thier collar down is lower class scum
    I think there's a facebook society called that.....

ReputationRep:
    My friend is in with the DUS stuff, James Callender, he's some position now I think, you know him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rach:))
    I think there's a facebook society called that.....
    wearing your collar down is for poor people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra)
    wearing your collar down is for poor people?
    Yup there is, and many different versions like "Wearing your collar up is for rich people!" :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timothy)
    My friend is in with the DUS stuff, James Callender, he's some position now I think, you know him?
    I've met him!

I'm a member of the DUS, and a couple of people I know are involved within it but I just keep interested to hear all the backstabbing and silliness that goes on!

As one person quite aptly put it the Union Society(those who are involved that is, not the general membership) is like the Early Learning Centre but with sex.:p:

ReputationRep:
    Ah kewl, he's on my corridor, a really nice guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    .....rich posh types who have a bizarre fashion sense (pink shirt with collar up and a weird brown wool sweatshirt over that, then random brown cords and some brown leather slip-on shoes.
    I have to say at this point that some people (including occasionally myself) may find this 'rah'ther, eclectic 'borrowed-the-wooly-jumper-from-granny' style quite endearing, and on occasions, actually attractive!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    And we also seem to have neglected the other side of the coin. I am not casting aspersions on poor people, but the tendency to wear white garments in a kappa tracksuit style does not really represent an alternative to me. I would rather die than wear a white kappa tracksuit (which I saw the other day). I have to say that the wearing elasticated tracksuit bottoms with long white socks and funny flat trainer things just embarrasses me to be english!

Just a point 4 those of you who want to be one up on rahs. They tend to wear a lot of belts. And....traditionally these were the accessory of the lower classes who could not afford to have braces which traditionally in proper society, should hold up oversized trousers. Belts were the solution of the working classes to hold up ill-fitting trousers. Tres amusant!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickitory)

Just a point 4 those of you who want to be one up on rahs. They tend to wear a lot of belts. And....traditionally these were the accessory of the lower classes who could not afford to have braces which traditionally in proper society, should hold up oversized trousers. Belts were the solution of the working classes to hold up ill-fitting trousers. Tres amusant!!!!
    'Plebian chic'...

ReputationRep:
    What in the name of **** is 'proper society' when it's at home?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickitory)
    And we also seem to have neglected the other side of the coin. I am not casting aspersions on poor people, but the tendency to wear white garments in a kappa tracksuit style does not really represent an alternative to me. I would rather die than wear a white kappa tracksuit (which I saw the other day). I have to say that the wearing elasticated tracksuit bottoms with long white socks and funny flat trainer things just embarrasses me to be english!
    But people who dress like that don't go to University. Yeah they look stupid, but they have a right to - they're in the lower economic sector of the population, you can't blame them for not wearing amazing clothes!

Rahs have loads of money, but still look stupid and go around wearing all the same clothes. They have no variety or individual style :rolleyes: (Don't get me started on their hairsyles either!!!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    But people who dress like that don't go to University. Yeah they look stupid, but they have a right to - they're in the lower economic sector of the population, you can't blame them for not wearing amazing clothes!

Rahs have loads of money, but still look stupid and go around wearing all the same clothes. They have no variety or individual style :rolleyes: (Don't get me started on their hairsyles either!!!!)
    Go on, have a little rant about their hair, you know you want to...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.