BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
as they are for RAF which means for pilot around 115 minimum

80/180 rings a bell for a pass.
112/180 is the pass for pilot for the RAF and the RN, 80/180 is the pass mark for the Army.

The RAF & RNs eyesight pass mark is 6/6 with no myopia. The Army's I can tell you if anyone is interested, but not off hand.
RN hopefull
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
how do they test for myopia in the eyes?
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't know which specific test it is, but it is to do with the condition of the lens of your eye.
Romper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by RN hopefull)
how do they test for myopia in the eyes?
Myopia? Short-sightedness that I have in abundance! The usual sort of eye tests that you'd have at an opticians, ie, letters on a chart, can you read the bottom line etc. Does it then appear clearer with lens 1 or lens 2 and so on. It's easy when you're as blind as me, but I guess it gets into more fine detail when it's as close cut as BH's was.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Very fine detail with me. I suppose I'll squint next time
KiwiMagic
Report 13 years ago
Navy allow you up to +/-0.75 astigmatism, the RAF only allow +0.75, however given that the +/- make no difference, in reality the RAF require perfect across the board, whereas the navy do give you some room to move.

In effect, as long as you have 6/6 you're fine for the navy, even if the shape of your eye is slightly out - trust me on this, my housemate went into great detail with Cranwell over being slightly outside RAF limits himself and it generated a lot of paperwork with all sorts of facts and figures!

Oh yeah, one other fact - aptitude scores: for the navy you have to pass pilot and observer, and the navy observer score is higher than the RAF's, I don't exactly know what it is but it is higher than 122 (friend failed with that score - the RAF pass is only 100)
djmm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ahh, a fountain of knowledge! Thanks KM.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (59)
23.79%
My career doesn't need one (33)
13.31%
I'm sick of studying (50)
20.16%
I can't find a course I want to do (6)
2.42%
I don't know enough about them (17)
6.85%