Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hehe it took me until almost the end of last term to ask Alice if she was Ali_04 - to be fair there are FOUR Alice's in our fresher year but only one of them is a geographer - at any rate she left TSR pretty much as soon as she got her offer

ReputationRep:
    Indeedy...and what's the likelihood that there's gonna be another male viola playing musician fresher? Or another female viola playing biologist for that matter - will you be 2nd year? - even more unlikely...

ReputationRep:
    Hehe all very true
    Yes I'll be a 2nd year and Kate's lovely so I'm sure she won't mind you asking if she's me!
    Also you have the advantage of knowing my real name (Boo...) I don't feel very much like asking people... so... are you fatboy? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatboy06)
    Lol we'll take our 'own' freshers week otherwise ...

I've already been pooled (to Jesus) so don't particularly want to risk getting less than AAA!! However, I've done hardly any work over Easter (so much on though )...need to get myself in gear. Will be interesting if we recognise each other (refering to chocolatecheese, Bekaboo and myself) if choc and I both get the grades! Fraid I'm not one for going up to random people and saying 'TSR?' and watch them slowly edge away in a state of total confusion...
    hehe i guess that leaves it all to me then :p:
    how many musicians are there? i hope its just a few so i only have to embarrass myself in front of a few people before i find the real you!

ReputationRep:
    Two musicians usually

ReputationRep:
    In October 2003, I auditioned for the Oxford University Wind Orchestra. I showed up on the day of the auditions with a book of Charlie Parker solos that I'd had for a while, and my saxophone. I just...played through a tune or two, demonstrated that I was reasonably competent, and was accepted. I wasn't amazing, I wouldn't have rated myself at higher than Grade 6 or 7 at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoron)
    Two musicians usually
    then at least i have a 50:50 chance of getting the right person the first time :p: ....(and a 50:50 chance of looking really stupid )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heliotrope)
    ok, so this in some regards isnt the best place to ask as this is about classical music and stuff, but what is the university like for indie music. is it easy to find people interested in doing the whole band thing? is there much of a decent student music scene? also, how divorced are university students from the oxford music scene in general? oxford has soooo many awesome bands, especially if youre into indie rock, math rock, post rock etc, do students tend to spend much time seeing local bands? do student bands tend to play with non student bands much?

damn, im curious today...
    yo yo yo....are you going to oxford? if so, maybe we can get the band thang going....

ReputationRep:
    Yep there'll be 2 musicians and 2 biochemists assuming you all make your grades

ReputationRep:
    well you should have no trouble spotting me as i was the only girl interviewed at Jesus for biochem...but...on second thought, someone else from another college could have got the second place....well you get what i mean...basically if the 1st yr biochemists are a guy and a girl....then...the girls me (*as long as i get the grades of course*)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolatecheese)
    well you should have no trouble spotting me as i was the only girl interviewed at Jesus for biochem...but...on second thought, someone else from another college could have got the second place....well you get what i mean...basically if the 1st yr biochemists are a guy and a girl....then...the girls me (*as long as i get the grades of course*)
    Facebook is the answer to all these "spotting each other" problems!

ReputationRep:
    Ah but see when did you sign up for facebook? Because as I recall I didn't join until about the end of October...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Ah but see when did you sign up for facebook? Because as I recall I didn't join until about the end of October...
    Shocking - in my first year I didn't sign up until Easter because it wasn't big in Oxford until then! (ie no one I knew was using it until Trinity term!)

Well, at least she could find you with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoron)
    Two musicians usually
    Says three here: http://www.jesus.ox.ac.uk/admissions/subjects/music.php

They better be nice!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ah well they may have increased the quota for this year (e.g. they increased to 3 biologists in my year but actually there's only two of us since Ali missed her offer) but in my year there's juts Zac and Ollie and in the 2nd year there's Richard and Ivor. No idea who the 3rd year musicians are!

ReputationRep:
    maybe its some clever tatic for getting more musicians to apply to Jesus by making out that they offer more places than they actually do... sneaky people! :p:

..or..maybe they just decided to increase for real this year cuz Jesus is the bestest!

ReputationRep:
    I remember being shocked and appalled having applied to Jesus because in the prospectus it said they had 5 places to do Biological Science... now most of the colleges who said that meant in each year... No Jesus meant across all 3 years... Let the panic ensue!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    I remember being shocked and appalled having applied to Jesus because in the prospectus it said they had 5 places to do Biological Science... now most of the colleges who said that meant in each year... No Jesus meant across all 3 years... Let the panic ensue!
    shocking! :eek:
    those little blighters at Jesus!...see what i mean!!!

ReputationRep:
    Lol...I have no idea...I know they've got a new tutor - could be to do with it?

Anyhoo I'm up to Jesus for the Open Day on Saturday...should be interesting (for those who don't know why, it's because I applied to a different college and had my Jesus interview at the faculty so never actually visited the place). So hurrah indeed!

ReputationRep:
    Oooo oooo I might meet you!! Sadly I have my babies this weekend so I'm meant to be taking them punting and stuff but you may see me around college anyway - and if you meet a tiny chinese guy called Tom then he's a friend of mine - I shall be looking after his babies too since he's helping out

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.