Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Course: English Lit
    Conditions: Unconditional
    Current Location: New Jersey (boarding school) home is Suffolk, England.

ReputationRep:
    Course: Modern History and IR
    Current Location: Va, USA

Oh...earlier I said that my name was Kate but it's actually Megan. This sounds weird, but I always say my name is Kate when I'm new to a website. Anyway, I am really, really excited about next year and I can't wait to meet you all!!

ReputationRep:
    Course: Mathematics with German
    Conditions: AAB
    Current Location: Canterbury, England

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbm1087)
    Oh...earlier I said that my name was Kate but it's actually Megan. This sounds weird, but I always say my name is Kate when I'm new to a website. Anyway, I am really, really excited about next year and I can't wait to meet you all!!
    lol why kate? security reasons?

ReputationRep:
    lol it was just this habit I got in to when I first started going online in the 6th grade. My name really is Megan though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbm1087)
    lol it was just this habit I got in to when I first started going online in the 6th grade. My name really is Megan though
    Makes sense; the amount of personal information people can find with merely the IP address and ISP is astounding!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but then again, every time there's that awkward moment where you're like "just kidding, my name isn't kate. it's meagan" lol

more funny than awkward, actually...

ReputationRep:
    International Relations/ Modern History
    AAA, with A in History
    Sunny Devon, good old SW England!!
    Looking forward to meeting everyone!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Nice to meet you Kate you've got lots of company in the Modern History/IR department, myself and nearly a third of this forum included!

ReputationRep:
    There are about 200 people in the IR lectures so the way it works out, about 1 in 5 people you'll meet in first year are doing IR!

ReputationRep:
    And I heard something of the vast majority of those who take IR in first year are American? That true?

ReputationRep:
    I really wouldn't be surprised if that was true. Art History is a big American subject too, or so I've heard. On Tuesday I was sitting up in the balcony in Buchanan for the IR lecture, right behind two stereotypical American girls - typing the lecture slides on their Macs, drinking Starbucks coffee, not paying the least bit of attention and using sentences generally including "oh my Gaaaawd", "like" and "SO...". I do know a few really nice Americans too, so they're not all bad :p: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StAndrewsIR)
    I really wouldn't be surprised if that was true. Art History is a big American subject too, or so I've heard. On Tuesday I was sitting up in the balcony in Buchanan for the IR lecture, right behind two stereotypical American girls - typing the lecture slides on their Macs, drinking Starbucks coffee, not paying the least bit of attention and using sentences generally including "oh my Gaaaawd", "like" and "SO...". I do know a few really nice Americans too, so they're not all bad :p: .
    Is it common for students to bring laptops into lectures for note-taking?

ReputationRep:
    Not really - I mean, you'll see maybe 4 or 5 people out of 200 typing notes, but I prefer to work on paper in the lecture then type things up and combine them with the original lecture content from WebCT once I get home.

ReputationRep:
    I always type in class/lecture... I'm very surprised that no one uses laptops, at universities in Canada half the students in lectures seemed to use them. I'll certainly be using one.

And ugh, I don't want to make the Americans feel alienated or unwanted at all, but the thought of the stereotypical American girl in front of me in a lecture is nightmarish! If you're not a Starbucks drinking, Gucci sunglasses wearing ditz, then take no offence. If you are, DON'T COME NEAR ME IN LECTURES! :P

ReputationRep:
    Course: International Relations and French
    Current Location:Poland

(Original post by StAndrewsIR)
    using sentences generally including "oh my Gaaaawd", "like" and "SO...".
    lol I visited the US a few times and from what I heard on the spot American girls overuse the word "weird"e.g. It's weird, That was sooooo weird, How weird to.. etc. Just my peculiar observation, though

ReputationRep:
    I drink starbucks and I'm a british pleb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by birkstopher40)
    I always type in class/lecture... I'm very surprised that no one uses laptops, at universities in Canada half the students in lectures seemed to use them. I'll certainly be using one.

And ugh, I don't want to make the Americans feel alienated or unwanted at all, but the thought of the stereotypical American girl in front of me in a lecture is nightmarish! If you're not a Starbucks drinking, Gucci sunglasses wearing ditz, then take no offence. If you are, DON'T COME NEAR ME IN LECTURES! :P
    I'll have to sneak up on you in lectures, put on a horrible impersonation of the american accent, and just annoy the hell out of you. "Like oh my gawd, this lecture is like totally crazay...Wanna get some starbucks later? No? Weirdo! Talk to the hand!"

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Lmao, I think Birkstopher would probably reply on impulse with some sharp and pointy.

Starbucks is for everyone though, you can't include that into the American stereotype anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, to be fair, Starbucks is a universal coffee shop.

And make sure you wear a helmet if you sneak up on me talking like a Valleygirl , Parrotman's right, I probably would attack you out of reflex hehe

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 3, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.