Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ulster watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Why do some Ulster people seem to feel so entitled to deride 'English *******s'?
    Is there any rationality behind it whatsoever? How are we to have handled the situation any better than we have done? What are we to do in their eyes? Shouldn't they be blaming each other?
    "english *******s"? We already blame each other - hence all the fighting going on.....

Only time I say "english *******s" is when I'm taking the piss out of my boyfriend who is English lol! Some die hard Catholics may say that when talking about the past, but I haven't heard anyone just come out and say it :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Very pertinent question. I guess I'm thinking of NIrish from when I was in Scotland. But that would be a selective sample I guess, of people who had chosen to go to Scotland, which might say things about their sentiments towards it.

Maybe just people running their mouths to look hard :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarts_n_Vicars)
    Maybe just people running their mouths to look hard :rolleyes:
    Maybe....

ReputationRep:
    Plus in Scotland they may have thought they were in good company to have a pop at the English...I'm sure if they'd been at UCL they wouldn't have been so vocal in their distaste for the English specifically :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I still don't really get any of the anti-Englishness in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I still don't really get any of the anti-Englishness in Scotland.
    You mightn't understand it - but you're going to have to accept it.

ReputationRep:
    Why??

ReputationRep:
    Why??
    Because those are peoples thoughts and opinions and people can be extremely stubborn.

ReputationRep:
    True....

ReputationRep:
    True....
    and an awful lot of Northern Irish are very stubborn.....

ReputationRep:
    Remember that there are English people who hate the Irish, the Scots, the Welsh...

Again, you might not understand it, but it happens, and there's very little you can do about it. And as it swings both ways, you can't really single out a minority of the people of Northern Ireland for it.

It's more 'why do some people hate other people?'. The original post is far too specific..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    Remember that there are English people who hate the Irish, the Scots, the Welsh...
    Much rarer IMO

ReputationRep:
    Haha, not at all...

I know so many English people who hate other home nations. And Welsh people who hate the English, and Scots who hate the English... They all do it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Waddell)
    Northern Ireland has much more of a Scottish heritage than an English heritage.
    not strictly accurate. it was a fairly good mix of both

ReputationRep:
    Very pertinent question. I guess I'm thinking of NIrish from when I was in Scotland. But that would be a selective sample I guess, of people who had chosen to go to Scotland, which might say things about their sentiments towards it.
    what you on about?

im from NI and go to uni in scotland. i didnt pick the uni because its in scotland. i went because it was the best choice. my others being coventry and places on the south coast.

ReputationRep:
    Where in Scotland?

ReputationRep:
    Where in Scotland?
    embra

ReputationRep:
    never heard of it....

ReputationRep:
    never heard of it....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embra

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embra
    Oh, that's where I was...kind of miss it, although It was a pain at the time

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.