Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    Papa Mama Scholarship.

alvin, you're very fortunate to be able to fall back on that PMS option. What's the progress like on that A*Star scholarship application?

feanor: Ah well, 2 people I know didn't get called up for the 2nd round either. On the other hand, I know someone who's in the final round for the EDB scholarship! What are your other options?
    A loan for most of it and get my parents to take care of the rest. I don't think I really wanted the firefly in the first place. It has a 6 year bond for foreigners.

ReputationRep:
    o_O;;
    haha

i dont mind knogle

Well willa thx soo much for that guide....

but since i'm applying for a TWO year deferraance...i think the chances of getting pooled is slim. It's most likely accept / decline, cause not all colleges will accept 2 years.

Another thing, let's say you apply to the colleges where a lot of pooling occurs. Will the intellectual level of the people at interview be lower, thus allowing the applicant to stand out more (if he/she even stands out)

I by no means want to offend anyone and i HIGHLY doubt this is even true

ReputationRep:
    a reason i'm playing the numbers game is that I live overseas and thus won't have a chance to visit any colleges (going to US for summer).

Btw...does anyone wanan recommend some?

and finally, for the singaporeans

is it possible to take a "loan" for education, as opposed to applying for a scholarship. Since i don't live in singapore, my chances for any scholarship are, close to nada.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just apply to the college you like the most?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silver-rose)
    a reason i'm playing the numbers game is that I live overseas and thus won't have a chance to visit any colleges (going to US for summer).

Btw...does anyone wanan recommend some?

and finally, for the singaporeans

is it possible to take a "loan" for education, as opposed to applying for a scholarship. Since i don't live in singapore, my chances for any scholarship are, close to nada.
    loans are okay. but your parents have to be earning quite a lot to even get enough from the banks. yea.

ReputationRep:
    aired.

first of all my choices are very limited -> i have to apply to one where they will give a 2 year deferrance to NatSci students

2nd, i haven't been to the UK let alone camb. Therefore, as of now, I have no real "preference"

ReputationRep:
    Generally as alvin said, to secure a loan large enough to pay off your tertiary education, your parents need to bbe earning a stable, substantial income. I don't know the specifics, so you should approach your preferred bank for details. I don't know if taking a loan is such a good idea since the interest levied will be paralysing.. and I haven't heard of any student loans per se. There are some grants given to students but only if you take up an arts subject AFAIK.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm taking from a bank in India so that's not applicable to u. But student loans if you have any from DBS etc should have manageable interest rates and also with a good moratorium period. I know HSBC (even in singapore) has an educational loan at 6% interest and has a repayment period of about 10 years. I think its without any collateral. But your parents must have an annual income of more than S$30,000. Only problem is that I don't think they provide an awful lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    I don't know if taking a loan is such a good idea since the interest levied will be paralysing..
    I think its better than a scholarship that will bind you to one place for 6-10 years. A good education pays for itself in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    that's true. yea..you see i'm also considering the US

and ivy skls....their fees are like what? 40k per yeaR? multiply that by 4...

160k (and that's USD -.-, not SGD)

ReputationRep:
    maybe i'll take a loan from my parents (and just pay interest equal to inflation) ahaha...

there's no way i'm using my parent's money for college thou. They earned it...it's theirs, not mine, and i've taken enough

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.