The Student Room Group

Is it immoral to be fat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by py0alb
Its definitely immoral to waste food.

Do you blame Western waste for African poverty?
Original post by canyouhelpme
there is not a 100x surplus of food to feed the world, that is lies. There simply isn't enough to go around yet us westerners ignore the cries of the hungry and stuff ourselves

Haha, you're either a troll or just plain stupid.
Original post by superafc100
I don't think its entirley fair to state that there is ample food in say... Africa. The country lies in an unfortunate geographical location in terms of its ability to produce food. Droughts are common, pests such as locust cause frquent food shortages and the climate is certainly not conducive to agriculture.

If not a question of morality then certainly one of empathy and ethics. Perhaps we could all stand to gain by allowing the missfortunes of others to affect our own lives. e.i. On principal not eating such vast quantities because of the famine elswhere.

I didn't say there was ample food in Africa, I said there is ample food in the World. Which brings us back to the earlier point; the problem is not lack of food in the world, but lack of access to food (or farming equipment I suppose) in various places. In any case, famine is a political issue, much more so than it is an agricultural one. Or is it a coincidence that the countries that have been hit by famine in recent years, are ones wrought in political turmoil and civil war?
Reply 23
I wouldn't say it's immoral, but certainly it's amoral. Being fat isn't really the moral issue - the problem you touch on is the participation in a system which excludes these people that need help. We could all vote to marginally lower our quality of life in order to vastly improve the quality of life of groups of people who are in need, but for most people, this decision would be out of the question. It seems ludicrous to me to have enough money to really make a difference to the lives of people who are suffering and not doing it - but we live in a society with a mentality that we deserve what we've earnt.
Reply 24
Original post by chefdave
Do you blame Western waste for African poverty?

Western trade agreements are probably the root cause. It's almost impossible for Africa to compete in the market place due to treaties like the EU CAP.
Original post by Jimbo1234
It is immoral, just as how vegetarians who choose not to eat meat for ethical reasons are immoral...and that is not mentioning the poor moral choices it takes to become fat eg. lack of self control etc.

U wot m8? How on earth is that immoral?
Reply 26
Original post by Keckers
Western trade agreements are probably the root cause. It's almost impossible for Africa to compete in the market place due to treaties like the EU CAP.

Come off it Keckers, I blame the EU for a lot of things but I struggle to see how it's responsible for African impoverishment. The U.S manages ok and she's located outside the EU... If there's domestic demand producers have all the incentive they need to begin growing, what happens elsewhere has little bearing on the supply/demand dynamic. As a poster above me mentioned it's most likely to do with internal politics and regimes that aren't conducive to trade. If the EU disbanded tomorrow 3rd world poverty would still be rife.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
You don't think of obesity as being a problem vis-a-vis starvation in, e.g., Africa in terms of food. Think of it in terms of money.

Anyone who buys, let's say, a £250,000 Ferrari, could, with the same amount of money, feed hundreds of children a year. Let's call him the Ferrari guy.

There's another guy, the fat guy, who gets, let's say, 1000kcal of excess food per day. That would be something like 2 double cheeseburgers and a small fries from McDonald's per day. I don't know exactly how that would cost but let's say it costs £4. £4x365=£1460 per year. Not exactly keeping anyone alive. Not even a small child.

Now, using your own arguments, who's more immoral?

And this only a very small example. Imagine how many things we buy that we don't really need. It doesn't have to be about food.
Original post by Jimbo1234
It is immoral, just as how vegetarians who choose not to eat meat for ethical reasons are immoral...and that is not mentioning the poor moral choices it takes to become fat eg. lack of self control etc.

Do you realise that if we were all vegetarian that there would be a lot of food left over because we wouldn't be feeding a substantial amount of food we grow to the animals being bred for meat, which results in a loss of energy (as it always does when we go up the food chain) or using land that could grow crops for rearing animals on?
It wouldn't solve the current problem, because the main problem is lack of access to food rather than lack of food, but if there was a lack of food then vegetarianism would be the moral choice and eating meat would be the immoral one.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by minimarshmallow
Do you realise that if we were all vegetarian that there would be a lot of food left over because we wouldn't be feeding a substantial amount of food we grow to the animals being bred for meat, which results in a loss of energy (as it always does when we go up the food chain) or using land that could grow crops for rearing animals on?
It wouldn't solve the current problem, because the main problem is lack of access to food rather than lack of food, but if there was a lack of food then vegetarianism would be the moral choice and eating meat would be the immoral one.

one cannot survive on chips alone. It isn't healthy.
one cannot survive on chips alone. It isn't healthy.

Yeah, potatoes are the only things vegetarians eat...

Funny how I'm perfectly healthy after 9 years.
Also, the Williams sisters and Bob Harper (trainer from The Biggest Loser) would like a word with you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Manouil
You don't think of obesity as being a problem vis-a-vis starvation in, e.g., Africa in terms of food. Think of it in terms of money.

Anyone who buys, let's say, a £250,000 Ferrari, could, with the same amount of money, feed hundreds of children a year. Let's call him the Ferrari guy.

There's another guy, the fat guy, who gets, let's say, 1000kcal of excess food per day. That would be something like 2 double cheeseburgers and a small fries from McDonald's per day. I don't know exactly how that would cost but let's say it costs £4. £4x365=£1460 per year. Not exactly keeping anyone alive. Not even a small child.

Now, using your own arguments, who's more immoral?

And this only a very small example. Imagine how many things we buy that we don't really need. It doesn't have to be about food.

it's not a question of money it's a question of food. Why should one eat more when there are starving people?
Non-fat people: Yes, it's immoral
Fat people: No, it's not immoral
Reply 33
Yeah, potatoes are the only things vegetarians eat...

Funny how I'm perfectly healthy after 9 years.
Also, the Williams sisters and Bob Harper (trainer from The Biggest Loser) would like a word with you.

where do you get your vitamin B from? We can't just eat plants.
Reply 34

More nonsense from the liberal-left :wink:

According to the National Diet and Nutrition Survey just 5% of the population or 3 million people classify themselves as vegetarian, so this means the other 95% must eat meat. Are we suffering horrendous food shortages due to prevalence of these selfish carnivors? Nope. In fact we grow so much food that we're able to waste mountains of it without consequence and we enjoy an 'obesity epidemic' to boot!

Western meat eating is responsible for 3rd world hunger......I think I've heard it all now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by TooEasy123
Non-fat people: Yes, it's immoral
Fat people: No, it's not immoral

this sums it up!
where do you get your vitamin B from? We can't just eat plants.

B6: green vegetables, eggs, some breakfast cereals and grains
B12: milk, cheese, eggs, some breakfast cereals
B3: eggs, wheat flower
Pantothenic acid: broccoli, tomatoes, potatoes, wholegrains
B2: rice, mushrooms, milk
B1: peas, wholegrain breads, some breakfast cereals
Folic acid: broccoli, sprouts, peas, asparagus, chickpeas
More nonsense from the liberal-left :wink:

According to the National Diet and Nutrition Survey just 5% of the population or 3 million people classify themselves as vegetarian, so this means the other 95% must eat meat. Are we suffering horrendous food shortages due to prevalence of these selfish carnivors? Nope. In fact we grow so much food that we're able to waste mountains of it without consequence and we enjoy an 'obesity epidemic' to boot!

Western meat eating is responsible for 3rd world hunger......I think I've heard it all now.

Did you read in the second paragraph where I said it wouldn't solve the current problem?
I was simply arguing that it isn't immoral to not eat meat, which is what the poster I quoted said.
Reply 38
B6: green vegetables, eggs, some breakfast cereals and grains
B12: milk, cheese, eggs, some breakfast cereals
B3: eggs, wheat flower
Pantothenic acid: broccoli, tomatoes, potatoes, wholegrains
B2: rice, mushrooms, milk
B1: peas, wholegrain breads, some breakfast cereals
Folic acid: broccoli, sprouts, peas, asparagus, chickpeas

but then you need animals for the milk, eggs and cheese.
but then you need animals for the milk, eggs and cheese.

Yeah, but dairy animals are not the same animals as meat animals.

If God didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Aww bless. I don't believe in God.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending