Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it too soon for films about 9/11? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think its appauling.

Given that there is ALOT of talk about 9/11, and that there really is no LEGAL proof that 19 arab hijackers commited the crime, we are going to get a film, essentially propaganda, telling us what happened, and reinforcing a potential lie, which is VERY dangerous.

Same goes for 7/7.

Whats more, if American films are anything to go by, when it comes to History and facts in films, they do a really poor job, aka, U-571

ReputationRep:
    i dunno, documentaries are ok. But a film in the same vein as "saving private ryan" was to WW2 but about 9/11 would not be appropriate. You know with blood , etc.

You COULD do it but it would be pretty painfull stuff. WW2 is quite a long time ago now, so we are desensitised from it.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, zakatu 9/11 is still an incredible sensitive area, it's still very real to a lot of people in the world. The fact that we're even having this discussion illustrates that.

ReputationRep:
    Its got nothing to do with sensitivity.

People die every day in Africa for example, and i dont see no Hollywood blockbuster about their situation...

Its disgusting because of the situation, not because of what happened (any loss of life is bad, irrelevant of how many). Its because there is no real truth to 9/11, and yet they claim to be in a position to make a film about it...

Everyone knows how poweful films are. Whats more, people are more likely to take in information from that than say a website or radioshow. That is dangerous because they can essentially weave in the official story (which has no merit) and people will absorb it like sponges. aka, it will be nothing more than Propaganda.

You should also think, why are they making these movies? They were tradgic events, why would anyone want to make it into a film? Because again, they know how powerful movies are to the public, and want to drill in the official story.

ReputationRep:
    Speak for yourself. For me it's about sensitivity, the event is still too real for me to see it on the big screen Hollywood stylie. With regards to Africa it's because people are too desensitised - they're blase about what's going on because it's always been going on. Therefore there is limited public interest in seeing films about Africa.

Drill the official story? I'm confused. Are you saying that it's a conspiracy that the attacks were committed by Islamic extemists? What is it that has no merit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kapster)
    Drill the official story? I'm confused. Are you saying that it's a conspiracy that the attacks were committed by Islamic extemists? What is it that has no merit?
    Yes i am. There is no legal proof that 19 hijackers crashed the planes, their names arent even on the official flight lists! Not to mention, several of them are still alive in the Middle East!

There is no conclusive proof that it was hijackers. CCTV has been confiscated (Pentagon), and the BlackBoxes aswell (one has been released recently, but only has the voice recordings, not flight data).

Whats more, you only actually need to LOOK at the collapses of the twin towers to realise they are exploding. Thats if you even know the official reason they collapsed (the floors supposedly pancaked).

Same goes for 7/7. No conclusive evidence that it was terrorists, no public enquiry, yet, everyone "knows" that it was Al-Queda.

You see? Having a film about 9/11 or 7/7 is dangerous, because the truth is not fully known, and it will reinforce the government theory, which has no solid background, just word of mouth (like Iraq/WMD, for example).

Sorry to digress, but i had to answer the question.

ReputationRep:
    Not if it's anything like Pearl Harbour!

I honestly don't think this film should be made at all, too soon or not too soon. I was truly horrified at the events 5 years ago, but now it feels a little like it's still being used as a way of ending argument, much like many taboo subjects (Holocaust, slavery etc.)
    I felt completely sickened at the thought of that documentary 'The Falling Man', which I just could not being myself to watch, and I think this is even more sickening.
    I think there's a difference between a film about this, and a film about the world wars, or something. I can't explain why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Katie*)
    I felt completely sickened at the thought of that documentary 'The Falling Man', which I just could not being myself to watch, and I think this is even more sickening.
    I watched the Falling Man documentary and it was very, very good (by which I mean sensitively handled and balanced) - hardly comparable to a fictionalized "blockbuster" type treatment of the events of 9/11

ReputationRep:
    I agree that there is an important distinction to be made here between a film and a documentary. The aim of a documentary is to portray a set of facts and investigate them. This is, in itself, if done properly, neutral. In the case of the film the reality of the events will be distorted to promote the author's own ends: in this case, profit. It is this sheer, selfish use of the tragic events which transpired on 9/11 which make the production of the film wrong; now or ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poltroon)
    I agree that there is an important distinction to be made between here between a film a documentary. The aim of a documentary is to portray a set of facts and investigate them. This is, in itself, if done properly, neutral. In the case of the film the reality of the events will be distorted to promote the author's own ends: in this case profit. It is this sheer, selfish use of the tragic events which transpired on 9/11 which make the production of the film wrong.
    :ditto:

very well put

ReputationRep:
    I tried to watch a trailer for this, but had to turn it off because I felt sick. I'm not entirely sure why, but I suppose my gut reaction is that this isn't something I approve of. And in my mind it did seem to be sensationalist.

ReputationRep:
    I gotta agree with Social Suicide. What facts are there? It'll all be conjecture.

I personally wouldnt be interested at all in seeing such a film. Anyway i dont really like war movies, anything to do with mass death, carnage isnt my kind of entertainment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    I gotta agree with Social Suicide. What facts are there? It'll all be conjecture.

I personally wouldnt be interested at all in seeing such a film. Anyway i dont really like war movies, anything to do with mass death, carnage isnt my kind of entertainment.
    Thank you. Glad you see where im coming from.

I don't like war movies either. I cant sit there and watch something, even if it is hollywood, portraying a terrible event whilst i sit back and munch popcorn.

There is no beauty in death.

ReputationRep:
    Much too soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacedonkey)
    I watched the Falling Man documentary and it was very, very good (by which I mean sensitively handled and balanced) - hardly comparable to a fictionalized "blockbuster" type treatment of the events of 9/11
    I still fail to see the point of a documentary like this, though. Please tell me how it entertains/informs?? Maybe it has another function. I am genuinely interested to know why it was thought necessary

(Original post by poltroon)
    In the case of the film the reality of the events will be distorted to promote the author's own ends: in this case, profit. It is this sheer, selfish use of the tragic events which transpired on 9/11 which make the production of the film wrong; now or ever.
    Completely agree.

ReputationRep:
    i wanna know who's making money out of this. pretty bloody disgusting of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Katie*)
    I still fail to see the point of a documentary like this, though. Please tell me how it entertains/informs?? Maybe it has another function. I am genuinely interested to know why it was thought necessary
    It wasn't "entertaining", but it was informative and interesting, I thought. It was interesting to examine the media response to 9/11 for a start: the falling man picture was printed on 9/12 and it caused such an uproar it was never printed again (in the press). The documentary also followed attempts to identify the falling man - he was initially misidentified, which caused untold upset to the family concerned. Interestingly, other relatives of people who had fallen (or jumped) had varying responses to it, ranging from denial, horror and shame through to one man (whose wife he identified in one of the falling people pictures) who felt somehow reassured by the thought that his wife had exercised a final choice to jump rather than burn in the building - he spoke extremely movingly about this. Finally, there was an interesting section talking about the imagery that has become associated with 9/11 and the fact that the falling man image has become almost taboo. For some people, that picture captures the essence of the appalling event in a way that the (subsequently much used) heroic images of firefighters etc does not.

So I maintain that the falling man documentary was a worthwhile exercise (whereas the blockbuster treatment of flight 93 or whatever it's called is not).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddylad)
    Oh well if it's an 'ode to America' movie then I'd rather not watch it:rolleyes:
    So a constant reminder of one defeat is ok, but not one of another?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.