amie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Forza_milan)
That sucks big time! The only thing i can do in the kitchen is make lemonade and a decent cup of coffee :p: and eating out al d time wil b 2 expensive! Du get any food deals with places nearby ?
What do you mean, places nearby? The campus isn't in city centre, it's on top of a hill just in the city outskirts and all that's near it are fields, a golf course and some houses! The bus takes about 5 or 10 minutes to get into town but to be honest, it's much easier to stay on campus to eat unless it's a special occasion or something.

The places on campus aren't that expensive really, but I wouldn't eat there all the time because it would really add up. Just learn to cook a few things, it's not difficult and it's much cheaper!
Forza_Milan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by amie)
What do you mean, places nearby? The campus isn't in city centre, it's on top of a hill just in the city outskirts and all that's near it are fields, a golf course and some houses! The bus takes about 5 or 10 minutes to get into town but to be honest, it's much easier to stay on campus to eat unless it's a special occasion or something.

The places on campus aren't that expensive really, but I wouldn't eat there all the time because it would really add up. Just learn to cook a few things, it's not difficult and it's much cheaper!
Oh dint know was on a hill! How do u manage d food most days?
amie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In semester 1, I just stuck with toast, soup and ready meals, haha. Except on Mondays when you can get a curry and a pint for £3.50 and Tuesdays when you can get a Mexican for £2.50, both at the Parade Bar. Actually now I think about it, Parade has food deals like that every day of the week.

Since semester 2 started though, my friends have made me actually cook for myself and it's a lot better. Nothing complicated, just stir-fries and curries and stuff using sauces from a jar! We sometimes cook for one another as well, and all eat together so that's nice.

For buying food, we generally shop on tesco.com and get it delivered to campus, or just pop into Sainsbury's in town. Sometimes I get a few little bit likes bread and milk and that from Fresh, the little shop on campus, but it's more expensive than shops in town so I try to avoid that.
G_H_G
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think there's a mini supermarket on campus, but I've heard that it can be expensive... How true is that? Failing that, I'm sure you could get your shopping online from Tesco/Sainsburys.
amie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by G_H_G)
I think there's a mini supermarket on campus, but I've heard that it can be expensive... How true is that? Failing that, I'm sure you could get your shopping online from Tesco/Sainsburys.
Very true. And I'd hardly call it a mini-supermarket! It's more like a corner-shop, sort of a mini Co-Op. Actually, once I went in there with my friend only for us to discover that they didn't even have any orange squash! What's that about?!

Online shopping is definitely the way forward.
ciderpeter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The on campus shop is ridiculously overpriced too... Much more expensive than Sainsburys etc... if you goto a supermarket it will cost you 1.40 to get the bus to and from the uni, so do it online with 2 others and it costs £5 to have it delivered - the more of you there are the bigger the savings...

Play around with food, you get some awesome and not so awesome results, my sardine curry, and tuna in pepper sauce are two examples. Its not fun when you run out of food either, my last meal before i came home consisted of rice, a stock cube and some mustard.
Jack0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you can cook you can eat for free. I used to cook for 5 - 10 people on my floor everynight (they called me masterchef) and I usually charged £1.50 so I made a profit in most cases.
tanusha-tomsk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
^ Wow that's a great idea! You are serious right?

I was planning to cook for everyone for a thank you because I like cooking and being thanked :rolleyes: Although I wouldn't do it very often as it would hurt mu budget
Jack0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
^ Yeah I am serious. The only problem with it is you need a lot of ingredients and you never have much fridge space. You can use other peoples ingredients but then you have to drop your price. People love cooks - reminds them of home and saves them the effort of opening a jar of Lloyd Grossman.
Forza_Milan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Id be ready to pay dat..im hopeless at cooking.. hope we find a 'masterchef' aswel..
Justintabib
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'd be ready to pay too! COOKING is just not my thing!

i guess it's better to put it as an advertisement:
masterchef required....
Forza_Milan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Does any accomodation have their own pool tables and other facilities like a seperate football pitch?
ciderpeter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Theres the odd big patch of grass out behind Westwood, we mess around out there, use the bike shed as posts etc...

Marlborough/Salisbury and Eastwood are all next to one of the football pitches and the STV so there is lots of facilities there...

The whole lot backs onto the golf course, which is ideal for football, rugby, golf etc, lots of wide open space...
Forza_Milan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ciderpeter)
Theres the odd big patch of grass out behind Westwood, we mess around out there, use the bike shed as posts etc...

Marlborough/Salisbury and Eastwood are all next to one of the football pitches and the STV so there is lots of facilities there...

The whole lot backs onto the golf course, which is ideal for football, rugby, golf etc, lots of wide open space...
What about the "ARSE" football leagues? Is it like an official thing run by the uni and are the matches played on the main pitch in the university? How many teams are involved?
ciderpeter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Think this year there was about 40+ teams... Its arranged by some resident tutors - you basically goto a meeting etc where they do a draw etc... You then get the email addresses and phone numbers of other captains in your group and its up to you to arrange the games, then email them in.... You can play on grass or astro, they dont mind! Its also only 7 a side.
Forza_Milan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Think this year there was about 40+ teams... Its arranged by some resident tutors - you basically goto a meeting etc where they do a draw etc... You then get the email addresses and phone numbers of other captains in your group and its up to you to arrange the games, then email them in.... You can play on grass or astro, they dont mind! Its also only 7 a side.
WOW - 40 teams! thats like two leagues .. and we dont even have control of which division we'l be in since its only for a yr. PPl playing in the teams where we mite be next yr may have got us relegated to the second division! But this league sounds damn interesting.. cant wait!
ciderpeter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It was 5 or 6 leagues this season i think - groups of 7 ish.... Everybody plays everybody once,

Then the top 16 teams or maybe the top 32 teams went through to the second group stage - again 4 groups i think where everyone plays everyone, then quarter finals, semi finals, final!

My team got to the second group stage.

Kind of like a champions league format!
Forza_Milan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It was 5 or 6 leagues this season i think - groups of 7 ish.... Everybody plays everybody once,

Then the top 16 teams or maybe the top 32 teams went through to the second group stage - again 4 groups i think where everyone plays everyone, then quarter finals, semi finals, final!

My team got to the second group stage.

Kind of like a champions league format!
OH my God! ur making me horny about this thing now.. This is FANtastic! Yea its like the old format..but,home and away matches too? Is there any song they play before every match like the champions league? It can be so very motivating!
Well done man :yy: wat position du play?
ciderpeter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well there isnt a song played because they arent exactly big matches It is just 14 lads/lasses hiring an astro pitch for an hour...

Just one game between the two teams... no legs to it...

I am a dirty right back. Our team was probably the most ill disciplined in the league... but hey, there are no referees!
Forza_Milan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well there isnt a song played because they arent exactly big matches It is just 14 lads/lasses hiring an astro pitch for an hour...

Just one game between the two teams... no legs to it...

I am a dirty right back. Our team was probably the most ill disciplined in the league... but hey, there are no referees!
WAT??! no referees! dat SUX! il be rammed.. hav heard brits play the roughest football!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 5 February 2020, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Feb '20
  • University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 1 April 2020, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 1 Apr '20
  • University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 10 June 2020, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 10 Jun '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

14.02%
12.38%
12.5%
17.99%
23.25%
19.86%

Watched Threads