Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rewmck)
    * Cattell III B - 148
    * Culture Fair - 132
    * Ravens Advanced Matrices - 135
    * Ravens Standard Matrices - 131
    * Wechsler Scales - 132

That is the scores you need on the different tests to get in and I think the Cattell III B is the one mensa uses. Well done on your high score by the way OP.
    I think i did the Cattel B test but dont remember if it was Cattel III B:confused:

I want to take the other tests They would be so much fun if there wasn't an invigilator saying "you have 4mins for this test and you have 1min left" and "you have 15seconds remaining...(5seconds later) pens down"

ReputationRep:
    MENSA Singapore uses the Raven's Advanced Matrices test for admission. Not too sure what the score requirement is though.

ReputationRep:
    These things always ask for money - the good tests, anyway. I found an American test online a couple of years ago (it was that long ago?! wow), and it was great fun, and I got a high enough score to get access to a special page saying I was brainy enough (or something...) to pay a small subscription fee of $XYZ so I would get a newsletter and some other stuff and be part of a group with other brainy people who lived on the other side of the world to myself. I sat and thought about it, then realised: 'Hey, wait, I'm going to pay $XYZ for a years worth of newsletters? $XYZ for... newsletters? They must think I'm stupid'
    So yes, I closed the window
    £16 doesn't sound too bad though. How did you get the home test thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    These things always ask for money - the good tests, anyway. I found an American test online a couple of years ago (it was that long ago?! wow), and it was great fun, and I got a high enough score to get access to a special page saying I was brainy enough (or something...) to pay a small subscription fee of $XYZ so I would get a newsletter and some other stuff and be part of a group with other brainy people who lived on the other side of the world to myself. I sat and thought about it, then realised: 'Hey, wait, I'm going to pay $XYZ for a years worth of newsletters? $XYZ for... newsletters? They must think I'm stupid'
    So yes, I closed the window
    £16 doesn't sound too bad though. How did you get the home test thing?
    I don't get any home tests here, but the official MENSA-administered test also costs £16 here.

MENSA are apparently meant to be the smarts, right?

So it surprised me to read their startling assertion, that:

"1 in 50 people have an IQ in the top 2%"

Is membership available for stating the blatantly obvious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)

:rofl:

Nice catch.

Maybe it wasn't the MENSA folks who wrote that.

ReputationRep:
    then they charge you to join mensa... £45 normal, £40 direct debit, £25 if your unwaged (student)

ReputationRep:
    i got 24/30 in the mensa work out and it says i have a good chance of passing the actual test. Is this a way to try and get me to apply for the supervised test (so they get their money) or is it true?

ReputationRep:
    Thats what i did. I got a home test - paid for that to be marked - got invited to supervised test with a special offer of taking a friend for free - paid to get test marked - got result to find out i can join - paid to join too... lots of money but well worth it i think/hope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coss)
    Thats what i did. I got a home test - paid for that to be marked - got invited to supervised test with a special offer of taking a friend for free - paid to get test marked - got result to find out i can join - paid to join too... lots of money but well worth it i think/hope
    what mark you get in the workout?

ReputationRep:
    I did a home test and got 155. Went for a supervised test and got 147. Just too low to join Mensa. Boo hoo! Actually felt quite glad because I did not want to pay out each year to belong to a club!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CS_Mike)
    what mark you get in the workout?
    Can't remember. I have a feeling that it was 24 but not certain

ReputationRep:
    I have my piece of white plastic through. I am now an official member of mensa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
    Shame it cost £XX annually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coss)
    I have my piece of white plastic through. I am now an official member of mensa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
    Shame it cost £XX annually
    Congratulations coss. :gthumb: How much exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Bah, Mensa is for weak fools, real men join the Freemasons.

ReputationRep:
    I was actually very close to applying to MENSA once, I did the home test and everything but then I had a rethink; there is no way I have "super intelligence".. Then I carried on with my life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    Congratulations coss. :gthumb: How much exactly?
    £25 cos i'm unwaged. when i become employed it will go up to £45 so wahooooo for unemployment and being a student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coss)
    £25 cos i'm unwaged. when i become employed it will go up to £45 so wahooooo for unemployment and being a student
    A tad expensive. What benefits do you reap?

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm... A card, i get to join Special Interest groups (SIGs) but only 2 for free. If i join more then i have to pay £5 to keep their costs down. Monthly mag/leaflet. Social meeting if i fancy it. Something to put on my CV... not much but hey ho!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)

I don't get it. Why is that so obvious?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2006
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.