Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

CD player with iPod intergration watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Kenwood aren't bad, but Alpine are better. It depends on which one you get. Go to halfords and see if they've got it there to blast your songs to. Take your own ipod to play the music you'll be listening to, and hear which one sounds best to you.

ReputationRep:
    Kenwood are OK, but for the same price you can get Alpine, and Alpine are better.

When I get my car, hopefully soon! Im gonna use an AUX connection with the Belkin Autokit which connects to the Dock Connecter, creating the amplified sound. I dont wanna control the iPod through the head unit, my cousin has it, and I find it a bit too fiddly for my liking, I prefer the iPod controls, and the Belkin Auto Kit will allow me to do that. I dont think having the iPod always on charge is that bad, apparently its better than if being fully discharged.

ReputationRep:
    If your current CD player has an aux out for a CD changer etc then you can just buy the cable and play it as an aux input.

I have the alpine CDA 9855R + iPod box, gorgeous, but would prefer to be able to scroll through quicker like using the click wheel.

ReputationRep:
    Current CD player is just a stock one that comes in a '96 Saxo - doubt it has any special adapters :p:

(Original post by uzi123)
    I dont wanna control the iPod through the head unit, my cousin has it, and I find it a bit too fiddly for my liking
    hmm thats a good point actually. Is it possible to use the iPod still or can it only be done through the headunit?

Kenwood are OK, but for the same price you can get Alpine, and Alpine are better.
    Can you help me find an Alpine one for about £150 with an iPod adapter (not AUX) ? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well i just bought the Alpine one in my first post for £200 from Halfords including fitting in 12 days time. Thing is, my dad said my speakers probably wouldnt be able to cope with it :/ Any truth behind that? Ive just got the speakers that came in the car and the output of this Cd player is 50W x 4.

ReputationRep:
    Will cope so long as you don't run it at full bass setting at high volumes forever, but it won't sound very good.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like i'll be buying some new speakers soon then :/

Alpine good for them too?

ReputationRep:
    My knowledge of speakers is limited; there are people on here that know better than me. However, I think I would be safe to say that Alpine would be fine, though maybe you can get better value of money with other makes I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    .... anymore suggestions? :confused:

Are you hopign to hook up an Amp and/or Sub?

You'll need more Pre-outs than one if so. How old is tha car too? THere is a chance you might need an adapter to plug in your stereo. I'd personaly buy this This.
    Two pre-outs for later upgrading, and Sony are mint. Kenwood are past their priem, don't go there. Alpine are OK I guess.

Also, I have the aboe Sony, without the iPod adapter, I usually just leave my ipod on random, and listen to it from that.

ReputationRep:
    Speakers...

Really big personal choice! As a confessed audiophile (I am a sound engineer, done gigs for bands like RBF, The Levellers, Subways and lots more!), I woul buy the absolute best i can afford, usually the more expensive the speakers the better they are.

But what is 'better' well this is really hard to define, but you should look for a full range of frequencies without clipping (i.e. distortion) of the frequencies, a good tone (this cannot be explained, your brain tells you if it is a good tone!) and the speaker reproduces the sound faithfully and makes you feel like you are hearing it live, as if the band is right in front of you and you are getting your own personal showing. Thats what a speaker and good hifi set up should do.

Unfortunately you will NEVER get this in a car, so don't even try (mainly because of the whole tin can effect and therefore reverberation and resonance is just too high) but, you can do your best to minimise the tin can effect by buying quality. You have made a good choice buying Alpine, i would buy Alpine However, for speakers companies like JL Audio are good, but you will find the small companies selling speakers for over £100 will be the best. It really depends on how big your budget is, but just buy the best you can afford, JBL are a good budget speaker, don't get Xplod by Sony, they clip frequencies really easily and IMO sound tinny, Bose are good, basically you need to test out every speaker in a big Halfords and see which one you like. If you find one you like, go away from it for 30 minutes then listen to it again and the other ones you like, this should give you a fresh idea.

If you amp your speakers (using the 4V Pre Outs on the back of the Alpine HU) then again, buy the most expensive Amp you can afford, but if you have to make a choice, by an Amp over speakers as speakers can easily be upgraded. It is really hard to say what to get, because sound is such a personal choice, you know when it sounds right but you have no idea why usually (thats my job, lol!)!

I have never actually put an audio system in my car, but as i say, i design audio systems and implement for big bands so i kinda know what i am on about! But i have no direct experience with cars as such.

I hope this gives you some ideas!

Graham

ReputationRep:
    You'll need more Pre-outs than one if so. How old is tha car too? THere is a chance you might need an adapter to plug in your stereo. I'd personaly buy this This.
    Two pre-outs for later upgrading, and Sony are mint. Kenwood are past their priem, don't go there. Alpine are OK I guess.
    Only ok? :rolleyes:

and no i wont be using amps/subs.

anyway, if you had read the thread you would see that i have already bought the Alpine that i linked to in my first post and it gets fitted on wednesday

thanks for the advice gbduo. ive got to admit im no audiophile (i cant tell the difference between varying mp3 qualitys and everyone says ipod headphones are crap but they sound fine to me ) so if my current speakers will work then i expect i will keep them lol! but if they wont work then i wont have much choice :p:

ReputationRep:
    Lol, don't use MP3, its the spawn of SATAN! lol!

iPod headphones are crap, they let the sound out and have no bass. My preferred choice is the Sony MDR-EX71 or something. They are about £25 but they actually go inside your ear, so you get better bass and range and best of all, the person sitting next to you cannot hear what you are hearing!

One thing that Sony are good at is Walkman equipment!

Graham

ReputationRep:
    I own MDR-EX71, great except they managed to design them so that when you walk they make a noise due to the movement of air - like having badly designed roof bars on your car.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, but they are the best out on the market, unless you want to spend £100 on ear phones, which with my record of losing them i don't want to do!

Altho, i don't tend to get that very much, that movement of air, have you tried changing the plastic insert thingies, making sure you get an air tight seal in your ear? I did have it and i know what you mean, i changed the plug things to a smaller size and no longer get it!!

Graham

ReputationRep:
    I'll give it a try, I have used them for about 6 months. They fit very nicely but when walking with them at a pace (I walk quickly) especially, they make a kind of whirring noise. It's not interference etc. it's simply wind noise. Never had it on any other headphones in my life.

Still good headphones though. ALso, the rubber used is too soft, so in two places my wire has come through so will need taping up. Think that mainly happens when they get tangled up as they always do magically.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god tell me about it! My earphones are currently in a perfect circle, a perfect tangle! How!!???

Still amazing quality sound out of them tho, especially if you hook them up to a high quality file/piece of recording!

Graham

ReputationRep:
    I am a fan of OEM equipment, it may not be the best but there's something nice about looking at your dash as it is meant to be...

ReputationRep:
    Yep, security is another important thing. I hate face offs I loved my Laguna headunit - steering controls, not bad sounds and just looked boring to criminals.

My current headunit is a very very good Becker unit - one of the best headunits money can buy. But it looks as dull as a £50 unit so hopefully nobody will ever bother with it..

ReputationRep:
    Me too, thats VW for you.

I don't like having mp3s in my car; all my music is on CDs so wouldn't want to reburn anything etc. I don't like having different formats as my hifi only plays CDs. But i am boring and traditional in that way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 14, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.