Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How much cash did you save for uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've meant to be saving since last September putting £100 a month away in an online account so I should have £800 right? Wrong, I did keep putting £100 in but then I'd transfer it back across to my current account to buy clothes and money for going out!! Not good, So I've currently got saved £340 (took £60 out yesterday so I could go to Birmingham and buy my mate a present)

I am selling my car though as I won't need it in the city and won't be able to afford insurance and things so that should add £1000 at least and I'm going to be doing so much overtime at work from June onwards so hopefully I should make another £500 at least on top of that.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt save anything, I had about £200 knocking about in my account before I went to uni (Gone in freshers week) but that money wasn't saved specifically for uni.

Saving to go to uni is definately a good idea- would love to have had some extra cash, but I agree with silence to an extent, no matter how much money you have, its very likely you'll end up spending the majority of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    I should have about £6500 by october saved up! Gonna get £3000 each year from Durham and £2700 from government. Bye bye debt!
    Now this is what I call a 'man with a plan'!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    I should have about £6500 by october saved up! Gonna get £3000 each year from Durham and £2700 from government. Bye bye debt!
    Wow, that is real determination!

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend saving up as much as possible... but just remember, you DON'T HAVE TO SPEND WHAT YOU SAVE... you can - and should -still budget and limit yourself.

ReputationRep:
    i have about £4600 savings in the bank at the moment, and the next 16 months to earn and spend on various things before i go to uni...

i will have about £20000 debt from loans after uni, i would like to be able to half that i suppose. so aiming to save about £10000. probably totally unrealistic with the travelling and volunteering i'm thinking of.

once i start uni, part-time and vacation work will be an option.

uni bursarys are also worth considering as i could get £0 from say plymouth, or £2000 a year from birmingham.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.