Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dschingis)
    No I didn't know that. I didn't know that, as a taxpayer, I was paying for my own student education.
    Yes, because you will over the course of 3 years recontribute 250k.....

Ahh some ross noble humour, he's a funny man, in every sense of the word.

Also - to Howie 'bums' and 'hobos' are both americanisations.

ReputationRep:
    i'll be willing to bet that the proportion if income tax that goes to higher education, after social security, health, law and order etc.. that you've paid in your life so far, doesn't come close to what you cost your local authorty whilst at university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iago)
    I'm not accusing you or any of us of being sponges, which is a derogatory term. I'm merely pointing out that students take a lot from society, more overall than tramps do. Will they give it back later? Some, perhaps most. But that's not the issue...while we're students we're in no position to go around condemning people for 'sponging off of society'. Since beggars get most of their money from charity and not the government, and then on top of that they get a pittance anyway, it's hardly fair. I have a right to not have a home and beg for money...neither of those things are in themselves immoral or illegal. It's not your street, boyo. It's everyone's.
    That's the crux of the matter. As you said, most students will - some won't. But let's assume that most students do end up getting a job. Most will move up the career ladder, into higher tax rungs. By the time they die, they will have paid the tax back, and more. So, I'm not sure it's entirely justifiable to call students "sponges" (as you say, it's derogatory). It suggests that students are incapable of repaying the debt - which, in the long term, they're not.

EDIT: I realise you're not calling student sponges per se.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iago)
    Besides, you're a student, which means that you're a slightly more expensive-to-society tramp that just happens to have sponged enough to buy decent clothes.

And yes, I'm joking. But I hardly think a student is the best person to go around deciding on who contributes the most to society and who doesn't.
    Yes, notably I'm in a worse financial position than the tramps - I doubt they have anywhere near the debt I do.

ReputationRep:
    That's the crux of the matter. As you said, most students will - some won't. But let's assume that most students do end up getting a job. Most will move up the career ladder, into higher tax rungs. By the time they die, they will have paid the tax back, and more. So, I'm not sure it's entirely justifiable to call students "sponges" (as you say, it's derogatory). It suggests that students are incapable of repaying the debt - which, in the long term, they're not.
    I agree. I would only ever do so in a joking manner.

Wait...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    Yes, notably I'm in a worse financial position than the tramps - I doubt they have anywhere near the debt I do.
    Hmmm....yes, but financial position isn't measured purely by the amount of money you have or owe. Students generally come from supportive financial backgrounds, have a home to go to, and are obviously far more employable than your average tramp and the end of it all. Also, usually no drug or mental problems. Though I'm sure there are a number of students who have all or some of these problems.

ReputationRep:
    Are tramps not allowd to just "be"?

Why should they contribute to society if they dont want to? If they don't, the least we can do is support them (not just giving them change).

Just because they do nothing and mite make ur day a little bit blue, that is no reason to want to just get rid of them.

"Out of sight, out of mind" is a problem which the Western world has trouble with....hobos, pollution, third world debt etc...

ReputationRep:
    all contributions to tax made in a human's lifetime should be logged and then measured up against the total amnount they've cost the state moderated by some kind of normalising equation which factors in the respective level of prosperity they were born into....

then we'll see who the scroungers are....

ReputationRep:
    The system is skewed anyway. The top/elite get off the most easily, whilst the middle class, the "engine" of society, gets taxed beyond belief.

Contribution to society should not be based upon money, since all money is actually debt anyway... The only real currency on this planet is gold.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't 'scum' rise to the top? Perhaps to skim off the scum you're looking at the wrong level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SocialSuicide)
    Contribution to society should not be based upon money, since all money is actually debt anyway... The only real currency on this planet is gold.
    Not sure I follow that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mudman)
    I AM THE MOSQUITO LORD, LIVING ATOP TRAMP MOUNTAIN!!

Bow down to me, minions, or I shall come round, dragging my huge blood-filled sacks behind me, and my probosterous and...
    OMG OMG ROSS NOBLE FANS UNITE!!!

"I do hope this isn't being reviewed in The Big Issue... "Quite frankly, he mocked the homeless""

Anyway, OP I think you're severely lacking in compassion. The plight of homeless people really breaks my heart and homeless charities are my charities of choice when I ever give money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SocialSuicide)
    Are tramps not allowd to just "be"?

Why should they contribute to society if they dont want to? If they don't, the least we can do is support them (not just giving them change).
    why should they be "supported" if they are not willing to contribute?

ReputationRep:
    you heartless so-and-so, everyone knows the children are our future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dead man's shoes)
    you heartless so-and-so, everyone knows the children are our future
    the children are, but the tramps are not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    OMG OMG ROSS NOBLE FANS UNITE!!!

"I do hope this isn't being reviewed in The Big Issue... "Quite frankly, he mocked the homeless""

Anyway, OP I think you're severely lacking in compassion. The plight of homeless people really breaks my heart and homeless charities are my charities of choice when I ever give money.
    Goddammit I think I gotta start a Society! Anychance you're also a fan of Bill Bailey?

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, it's quite hard for homeless to "contribute to society", epecially since having no fixed abode, they can't claim any kind of benefits - ie. society does not contribute to them. It's a lose-lose circle all around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    Anyway, it's quite hard for homeless to "contribute to society", epecially since having no fixed abode, they can't claim any kind of benefits - ie. society does not contribute to them. It's a lose-lose circle all around.
    bag + sharp stick = litter picking tool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mudman)
    Goddammit I think I gotta start a Society! Anychance you're also a fan of Bill Bailey?
    Very very much so! I love that medieval roadie! :tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    Also...and this is what is often forgetten...the main cause of homelessness is mental disorder. Most homeless people have mental problems of some variety or another which literally prevent them from contributing in the way you and me so easily can. It's not as simple as a case of refusing to contribute in most cases.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.