Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ella_belle)
    And much faster than 'the college I will be a member of in October if I get three As in my A levels (one being in Chemistry)'

Besides, I'm getting quite sentimentally attached to my...oops...that college. :rolleyes:
    Oh, think that's pretty natural, I mean you have got an offer from the very best and coolest college of all - you can hardly help getting sentimentally attached!

ReputationRep:
    I think most people get somewhat attached to their college. Everyone I know who've received offers from Oxbridge pretty much have. I think it's quite hard not to, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I was visiting New College earlier this March, one of the students I spoke to said that everyone he knew who missed their offers still got in... So there's still hope!

ReputationRep:
    What used to get me was the whole...

Friend: So where are you studying?
    Me: Oxford.
    Friend: What? Oxford Brookes?

...thing Very annoying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)

...thing Very annoying!
    :rofl: Hilarious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnight_tiptoe)
    Whilst I was visiting New College earlier this March, one of the students I spoke to said that everyone he knew who missed their offers still got in... So there's still hope!

hmm.....

ReputationRep:
    Possibly because all the people who didn't make their offers didn't turn up...
    I mean how many people did you even stay in touch with after interview long enough to find out if they had an offer? I did with about 3 and only one got an offer at all

ReputationRep:
    ^ I know, everyone I seemed to make friends with didn't get an offer!

ReputationRep:
    The worst is when you meet Oxbridge rejects: the "where are you going to Uni?" convo gets decidedly sour once you mention Oxford!

And yes, I do say, "Oxford, hopefully". Sometimes I even say "Edinburgh, but hopefully Oxford"!! Dont know why; I suppose I don't want to tempt fate.

Plus, everytime I speak to my Granny, the first thing she says is "Are you sitting at your desk?"!! Bless her, if I make the grades, i'll make sure she can come to Matriculation. Actually, it's quite interesting how important Oxbridge is to the older generations. Mention the Oxford offer at a family party and you get all the great uncles and aunts crowding around! But its also interesting how, when you mention the offer, and the fact that its AAA, they all take in a sharp breath: "3As! I thought they gave out EE offers. Well they obviosuly weren't sure of you". Which is always nice and reassuring to hear. :rolleyes:

Actually, one great uncle even said to my Dad, "What do you think of Wadham; I mean, it's no Christ Church or Merton, is it?" Cheek!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Che!)
    Actually, it's quite interesting how important Oxbridge is to the older generations. Mention the Oxford offer at a family party and you get all the great uncles and aunts crowding around! But its also interesting how, when you mention the offer, and the fact that its AAA, they all take in a sharp breath: "3As! I thought they gave out EE offers. Well they obviosuly weren't sure of you". Which is always nice and reassuring to hear. :rolleyes:

Actually, one great uncle even said to my Dad, "What do you think of Wadham; I mean, it's no Christ Church or Merton, is it?" Cheek!
    Hehe, most of my family are still trying to figure out what a 'college' is... I've had people turning round to me and say 'Lady Margaret Hall? I thought you were going to Oxford'....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)

...thing Very annoying!
    I've had even worse than that - old accquaintance of my Dad's was at a dinner party with us, I was talking to the wife.
    Wife: So where are you going to university?
    Me: Oxford, if I get the grades.
    Wife: Oh, that's good! So is our daughter Laura; she's going to do Drama.
    Me: Erm, I don't think that Oxford does drama... Which college is she going to?
    Wife: I forget the name now.....Oh yes. Brookes College.

Grr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    I've had even worse than that - old accquaintance of my Dad's was at a dinner party with us, I was talking to the wife.
    Wife: So where are you going to university?
    Me: Oxford, if I get the grades.
    Wife: Oh, that's good! So is our daughter Laura; she's going to do Drama.
    Me: Erm, I don't think that Oxford does drama... Which college is she going to?
    Wife: I forget the name now.....Oh yes. Brookes College.

Grr.
    .... oh, the potential embarrasment. Best to stay stumm, i reckon.

ReputationRep:
    honest to god had a dream that i failed to get in last night...fecking awful. if i dont get in and the response from people is anything like that in my dream, im gonna jump off a reasonably high building (scared of heights).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesjay)
    honest to god had a dream that i failed to get in last night...fecking awful. if i dont get in and the response from people is anything like that in my dream, im gonna jump off a reasonably high building (scared of heights).
    Mate, dont worry about it - youll be fine. Just keep working hard and you should get there!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Che!)
    But its also interesting how, when you mention the offer, and the fact that its AAA, they all take in a sharp breath: "3As! I thought they gave out EE offers. Well they obviosuly weren't sure of you". Which is always nice and reassuring to hear. :rolleyes:
    I've also had:

"So what grades are they asking for?"

"AAA"

"Well...never mind, what's your insurance?"

Love it when people have confidence in you.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else also find it annoying when people ask if you have got into oxford too? You're not going to say you are going there if they rejected you are you? In a shop today me and my friends were asked where we were going:
    Me: oxford or cardiff
    Her: oooh oxford! have you had an interview then?
    Me: yes
    Her: did they give you an offer?
    Me: yes
    Her: you must have a good personality then- my firends daughters ex husbands cousin... got rejected with 3 As!!!! they must have really like you!!!
    Me: i guess....
    Her: so do you come from a wealthy family?
    Me (slightly confused) ummm not really
    Her: oh never mind then- you should go there anyway

What has this got to do with it- some people seem to have really strange ideas of what oxford is- like if you dads not a lord that you just wont fit in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redshoes4)
    What has this got to do with it- some people seem to have really strange ideas of what oxford is- like if you dads not a lord that you just wont fit in?
    Yeah some people think that....knob jockeys. You should have slapped that girl.

ReputationRep:
    hehe i find it funny how everyone (ok most people) who find out that im going to oxford .... *gasp* and say gosh thats going to be very expensive for your parents, will you be able to go... and i just tell them straight and say no, thats what a lot of people think...although my dads not a lord, doesn't mean i can't go.... besides its actually the cheapest

and i have also had the "oh, is that the REAL oxford your going to...."

and the most daftest one i've had from a few people has been ...wow i heard you go an offer from oxford....are you going to accept it....
    i stand there thinking "nooo im not going to accept it....i put myself through the whole application process for a bit of fun to see if i could get in, but i don't like it really, so yeah, im gona say no to oxford..." ...but my actual reply is less sarcastic...something along the lines of "HELL YEAH!"

i try and avoid mentioning anything about uni though, in case it leads onto the whole oxford thing...and because i dont want to jinx it and not get in

jamesjay you are not alone...i had one of those nightmares not long ago...
    i thought i had an offer...then oxford said i hadn't i just miss read their letter wrong....that really scared be...i keep checking the acceptance letter....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolatecheese)

and the most daftest one i've had from a few people has been ...wow i heard you go an offer from oxford....are you going to accept it....
    i stand there thinking "nooo im not going to accept it....i put myself through the whole application process for a bit of fun to see if i could get in, but i don't like it really, so yeah, im gona say no to oxford..." ...but my actual reply is less sarcastic...something along the lines of "HELL YEAH!"
    maybe not so daft- i was seriously considering not accepting oxford as i wasnt sure about the course and college- but am prob going now. also why not just apply to see if you could get in, some ppl like a challege. but i do know that one girl in my year has not accepted an offer from oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Not accepting is fair enough redshoes but I think it also depends on the tone of the "are you accepting question?". Rarely is it genuine, because the average person doesnt give a cr*p about your dilemmas (particularly if they feel you may be sympathy-seeking with an oxbridge offer). Generally, its the obnoxious "do you really want to go to a place like that" are you accepting question.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.