Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone know how to reduce scarring? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There is a great link [here] for some scar reducing tips.

Vitamin E oil, Bio-oil, and honey are all meant to be really good.
    Take care.

ReputationRep:
    Mix all the suggested creams together. I think that'd work best.

ReputationRep:
    If you get some Dermovate steroid cream from your doctor, and place it over the scars and then stick plasters over the top and leave it for a week, and then repeat, after a few applications you'll start to notice the scars are fading. I have major scarring on my back from an operation, and I am a keloid scarrer meaning my skin heals really aggressively and the scar is red, thick, raised and very obvious. I'm going to have an operation called an excision where they cut the scar out and then treat the skin with steroid injections every five weeks for about six months so that the skin does not heal like that again. I can get it done on the NHS, but it depends on how serious your scars are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pippak)
    Ask your GP. I'm pretty sure one of my mates got prescribed some cream for that. You can also get plaster things that you put on the scars and are supposed to reduce them, though they're very expensive and I don't know if they work.
    Yeah that worked very well for my sister, she had a huge one and it's half the size now.
    It's a see-through slimy plaster type thing you can cut to any size.

ReputationRep:
    100% Aloe Vera Gel - awesome; i had some bad burn scars on my foot from when my hair straighteners fell on them and that made them disappear. And lots of Vitamin E cream.

My mother is a wealth of knowledge!

I didn't find bio oil that good with my s/h scars, it didn't seem to do anything and wasn't worth the money (about a tenner for a small bottle). On the bright side it did smell really nice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairygirl21)
    vitamin E oil is supposed to help.
    i second that

ReputationRep:
    I third vit E oil. I've had a huge wound in my foot that had to be stitched up, and the nurse suggested vit E oil for when its healled over. Now that its healed and i'm using oil on it, it seems to fade abit. Hope it fades enough for summer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.