Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Surely Coldplay are just... you know... soft full stop? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Awww. I remember when I was.. about 13 and loved them. Yellow was (is!!!) sooo good.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say coldplay fit better into the suggested category than indie really. I wouldn't call Feeder 'indie' either. Bands like Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Be Your Own Pet would be a good description of indie. Maximo Park who are better known also fit more into indie. A good example of an indie/techno overlap would be something like Supersystem.

I liked Yellow a little when I was younger (probably about 13 as well) but it wasn't the most amazing song I'd ever heard. And now look at Coldplay with all their obsessive fans... it's crazy.

(Original post by Draig)
    Bands like Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Be Your Own Pet would be a good description of indie. Maximo Park who are better known also fit more into indie.
    Aren't they all on pretty major record labels though?

ReputationRep:
    I guess "indie" has become more of a particular sound/image rather than a band literally being on an independent label.

Might as well just label them 'NME bands' then, it'd make more sense if that's what it's about. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Even if they are all on bigger labels, Maximo Park is the biggest name in that little list. Still, they have the indie style. It gets ridiculous when you can't call a band a certain genre just because of success, they still sound the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n u c l e a r b u d d h a)
    Might as well just label them 'NME bands' then, it'd make more sense if that's what it's about. :p:
    Not ALL indie bands become flavour of the month then dissappear... I think.

ReputationRep:
    Nah cos bands like Modest Mouse, Broken Social Scene were never touted by NME (if they were I missed it) but they fit MY description :p:

(Original post by Draig)
    Even if they are all on bigger labels, Maximo Park is the biggest name in that little list. Still, they have the indie style. It gets ridiculous when you can't call a band a certain genre just because of success, they still sound the same.
    But the indie label wasn't meant to be about sound, it was meant to be about artists releasing stuff without the help of major labels. That's where I got confused.

(Original post by Syntax)
    Nah cos bands like Modest Mouse, Broken Social Scene were never touted by NME (if they were I missed it) but they fit MY description :p:
    Oh, they were. Perhaps not front cover material but they were.

ReputationRep:
    *******s. Well that just shows that I never saw more than the front cover of an NME mag *proud*

That's quite an achievement. :p: I actually buy it occasionally but only for the free CDs.

ReputationRep:
    That's quite an achievement. :p: I actually buy it occasionally but only for the free CDs.
    Thaaat's what they all say :p:

It's true in my case. Really. It is. Please believe me.

Har.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syntax)
    Gah I'm appalled at the mere notion of Coldplay being "indie"

Anyways, yeah wikipedia is cool, and websites like allmusic.com list artist pages with their genre defined.. like:

Coldplay = Rock, then subgenres = alt pop/rock and brit pop.
    And The Kooks = indie rock, apparently.

coldplay are indie rock...
    why are people so rude about the answers people give? i merely said the Kooks as alternative in my opinion and everyone slates me for it saying they dont even count in any genre...its just like Ok so thats your small minded opinion!! for gods sake, does my head in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by so_this_is_sam)
    coldplay are indie rock...
    why are people so rude about the answers people give? i merely said the Kooks as alternative in my opinion and everyone slates me for it saying they dont even count in any genre...its just like Ok so thats your small minded opinion!! for gods sake, does my head in!
    Okay.. you think Coldplay are definitely indie rock. I and others think differently. We're just discussing which artists fall into certain categories - no need to start taking it personally. And whose opinion is "small minded" - yours or ours? I would hazard a guess at the former

ReputationRep:
    hey im honestly not trying to be rude at all, i was trying to defend the Kooks cos u and someone else said they dont make a genre at all. im not their biggest fan either, but just saying how theres some overlap here and the way you phrased your reply just seemed quite dismissive. in my opinion, coldplay are indie rock, but perhaps people will disagree here?

ReputationRep:
    Awrighty, my apologies for being dismissive :tee:

And I actually quite like The Kooks, while also being well aware that they're fairly.. commercial

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.