Badges: 11
Report 13 years ago
Surely Coldplay are just... you know... soft full stop? :p:
Syntax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Awww. I remember when I was.. about 13 and loved them. Yellow was (is!!!) sooo good.
Draig
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'd say coldplay fit better into the suggested category than indie really. I wouldn't call Feeder 'indie' either. Bands like Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Be Your Own Pet would be a good description of indie. Maximo Park who are better known also fit more into indie. A good example of an indie/techno overlap would be something like Supersystem.
=nuke=
Report 13 years ago
I liked Yellow a little when I was younger (probably about 13 as well) but it wasn't the most amazing song I'd ever heard. And now look at Coldplay with all their obsessive fans... it's crazy.
=nuke=
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Draig)
Bands like Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Be Your Own Pet would be a good description of indie. Maximo Park who are better known also fit more into indie.
Aren't they all on pretty major record labels though?
Syntax
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I guess "indie" has become more of a particular sound/image rather than a band literally being on an independent label.
=nuke=
Report 13 years ago
Might as well just label them 'NME bands' then, it'd make more sense if that's what it's about. :p:
Draig
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Even if they are all on bigger labels, Maximo Park is the biggest name in that little list. Still, they have the indie style. It gets ridiculous when you can't call a band a certain genre just because of success, they still sound the same.
Damdam
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by n u c l e a r b u d d h a)
Might as well just label them 'NME bands' then, it'd make more sense if that's what it's about. :p:
Not ALL indie bands become flavour of the month then dissappear... I think.
Syntax
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Nah cos bands like Modest Mouse, Broken Social Scene were never touted by NME (if they were I missed it) but they fit MY description :p:
=nuke=
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Draig)
Even if they are all on bigger labels, Maximo Park is the biggest name in that little list. Still, they have the indie style. It gets ridiculous when you can't call a band a certain genre just because of success, they still sound the same.
But the indie label wasn't meant to be about sound, it was meant to be about artists releasing stuff without the help of major labels. That's where I got confused.
=nuke=
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Syntax)
Nah cos bands like Modest Mouse, Broken Social Scene were never touted by NME (if they were I missed it) but they fit MY description :p:
Oh, they were. Perhaps not front cover material but they were.
Syntax
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
*******s. Well that just shows that I never saw more than the front cover of an NME mag *proud*
=nuke=
Report 13 years ago
That's quite an achievement. :p: I actually buy it occasionally but only for the free CDs.
Syntax
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That's quite an achievement. :p: I actually buy it occasionally but only for the free CDs.
Thaaat's what they all say :p:
=nuke=
Report 13 years ago
It's true in my case. Really. It is. Please believe me.

Har.
so_this_is_sam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Syntax)
Gah I'm appalled at the mere notion of Coldplay being "indie"

Anyways, yeah wikipedia is cool, and websites like allmusic.com list artist pages with their genre defined.. like:

Coldplay = Rock, then subgenres = alt pop/rock and brit pop.
And The Kooks = indie rock, apparently.

coldplay are indie rock...
why are people so rude about the answers people give? i merely said the Kooks as alternative in my opinion and everyone slates me for it saying they dont even count in any genre...its just like Ok so thats your small minded opinion!! for gods sake, does my head in!
Syntax
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by so_this_is_sam)
coldplay are indie rock...
why are people so rude about the answers people give? i merely said the Kooks as alternative in my opinion and everyone slates me for it saying they dont even count in any genre...its just like Ok so thats your small minded opinion!! for gods sake, does my head in!
Okay.. you think Coldplay are definitely indie rock. I and others think differently. We're just discussing which artists fall into certain categories - no need to start taking it personally. And whose opinion is "small minded" - yours or ours? I would hazard a guess at the former
so_this_is_sam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hey im honestly not trying to be rude at all, i was trying to defend the Kooks cos u and someone else said they dont make a genre at all. im not their biggest fan either, but just saying how theres some overlap here and the way you phrased your reply just seemed quite dismissive. in my opinion, coldplay are indie rock, but perhaps people will disagree here?
Syntax
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Awrighty, my apologies for being dismissive :tee:

And I actually quite like The Kooks, while also being well aware that they're fairly.. commercial
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (160)
51.78%
No (149)
48.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed