Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ever feel like you want to do more and more A levels? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What makes it even worse is when all your subject teachers are trying to convince you to carry on their subject as well! I remember when I was in year 11 teachers were constantly making comments like "you could do really well in this at A-level, and it's a really good subject and will be the most useful thing you ever do in your life!!!" That just makes it about a million times harder to choose lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Bex~)
    What makes it even worse is when all your subject teachers are trying to convince you to carry on their subject as well! I remember when I was in year 11 teachers were constantly making comments like "you could do really well in this at A-level, and it's a really good subject and will be the most useful thing you ever do in your life!!!" That just makes it about a million times harder to choose lol.
    Oh, tell me about it! My teachers were constantly badgering me to take their subjects... and it's usually for something I really don't want to do, like Music or English Lit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    I'm in year 11 too, and I had such trouble deciding on A level subjects (as some of you probably know!) because I wanted to do so many. If there wasn't a restriction, I'd have wanted to take Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, German, Spanish and History!
    Then end up addicted to caffeine and never sleep.... like me!

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by ~Bex~
    The worst comment I find is 'You'd really enjoy the course' especially when its from a teacher that you like, its so hard then to turn around and think 'No I don't want to do that subject' because you end up thinking...'Well I really like it now and she knows me well, so she might be right and what if I don't do it, will I then regret it?' I had that problem when I was choosing between English Lit and Biology!

I was told I'd enjoy the English Lit course whilst my Biology teacher kept going 'You're doing it at A level, aren't you?'. I eventually choose Biology and then dropped it at AS but I got my year 11 Biology teacher as my form tutor for 6th form and she recently told me I was a traitor for dropping Biology at AS!

ReputationRep:
    lol. I had a similar problem with music. I enjoy music and did surprisingly well at GCSE (I was sure I'd be lucky to scrape a C!) and my teacher kept telling me to do it for A level because it's very respected because you need talent to do it, but at the end of the day I didn't want to study it further. I still love music, but doing it at school made me like it less, because it took the fun out of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smiley :))
    ...Sometimes I feel like I want to study a lot more A levels than what I'm doing at the moment.

...Anyone who is an "all rounder" and chose science subjects because the prospects are (supposedly) better but wishes they had done some art subjects?
    The IB (International Baccalaureate) would have suited you.

I had the option of either A-Level or the IB, but since I didn't want to drop some of the art subjects, I went with the IB and chose Maths/Bio/Chem at "Higher Level" and English/Latin/History at "Standard Level" and the workload is manageable.

ReputationRep:
    wish i had done classical civ A level instead of maybe french AS..I loved french but I didn't really work at it and I'm stronger in essay subjects than languages if that makes sense! I loved sciences but there's too many equations and stuff and maths is my biggest weakness so I didn't do it cos I knew I wouldn't get a good grade as I could in another subject

ReputationRep:
    If nothing was blacklisted, in retropsect I would have taken Media Studies, loved it at GCSE, a lot of creative liscense and all of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Bex~)
    Yeah it really does doesn't it, but im stupid and go telling teachers that i am going to take their subject and then change my mind, i have told my geography, RS, History, Politics, Chemistry and Physics teachers that i will probably take their subject and in some cases that i will for definate, oops! Oh well, some one has to be let down and I keep changing my mind.

My geography teacher started jumping up and down and shouted get in there! when i told him i was going to take it so i think i will be taking geography!lol!

I think i have decided on my final choices now though:
    History
    Chemistry
    Geography
    Politics

Thats if my timetable lets me, if not i will bring in my other choices (along with biology which i am now considering taking but this time, i'll tell no one lol!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollie)
    Yeah it really does doesn't it, but im stupid and go telling teachers that i am going to take their subject and then change my mind, i have told my geography, RS, History, Politics, Chemistry and Physics teachers that i will probably take their subject and in some cases that i will for definate, oops! Oh well, some one has to be let down and I keep changing my mind.

My geography teacher started jumping up and down and shouted get in there! when i told him i was going to take it so i think i will be taking geography!lol!

I think i have decided on my final choices now though:
    History
    Chemistry
    Geography
    Politics

Thats if my timetable lets me, if not i will bring in my other choices (along with biology which i am now considering taking but this time, i'll tell no one lol!)

At the end of the day lol, this is a time to be selfish and think about yourself. Sure, a teacher might be a little disappointed if you don't take their subject, but they'll get over it and find new students to pester!! This is your future, so you have to pick the subjects you want to do, not the one's your teachers (or friends/family) want you to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Bex~)
    At the end of the day lol, this is a time to be selfish and think about yourself. Sure, a teacher might be a little disappointed if you don't take their subject, but they'll get over it and find new students to pester!! This is your future, so you have to pick the subjects you want to do, not the one's your teachers (or friends/family) want you to do.
    Very true, and that is exactly what i plan to do!

ReputationRep:
    im doing chemistry, biology, french, history, and sociology - a mix of arts and sciences (for AS). Im trying to keep my options open as im a bit of an all rounder - its killin me doin 5 though! Might drop to 3 nxt year (drop chem & biol) - but do u think it will look stupid going from 5 to 3??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ***Annie***)
    im doing chemistry, biology, french, history, and sociology - a mix of arts and sciences (for AS). Im trying to keep my options open as im a bit of an all rounder - its killin me doin 5 though! Might drop to 3 nxt year (drop chem & biol) - but do u think it will look stupid going from 5 to 3??
    Not at all. Most people only take 3 A2s and you'll have a couple of science ASs on top of your 3 art A2s to give you some variety.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have a thing about taking more A Levels, but I'd love to be able to make my AS choices again. Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Geography would be what I'd do apposed to Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssmoose)
    I don't really have a thing about taking more A Levels, but I'd love to be able to make my AS choices again. Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Geography would be what I'd do apposed to Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
    What do you not like about Chemistry and Physics? (I'm considering taking Chem next year)

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry was just dull. A load of facts to learn, non-interactive, difficult concepts to grasp, didn't like the teacher, demotivating. I only did it for AS though. The OCR Salters course must be just about the worst thing ever.

Physics is quite easy, but dull and samey.

ReputationRep:
    I would have loved to have squeezed in Art and Biology... I always loved those subjects, but no time... Plus I'm a little swamped under with 5 (let alone 7!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahjane48)
    I'm in yr 11 now and am still deciding my A levels for definate, but I really feel as though I want to take everything!!!

I think I will take maths, f maths, physics and economics. (and general studies and critical thinking as extra quick things)

But I also want to take chemistry, french, biology and something more fun like sociology/psycology!!!
    I was like that at year 11 too, and took up 5 AS subjects excluding Gen studies. I realised that they were much more demanding than GCSE level and that I could do with more free time, so I decided to drop Media, and swapped History for Maths. I'm glad I had the chance to change my subjects, cos Maths turned out to be enjoyable!

ReputationRep:
    I don't anyone actually wants to take more exams. Explore other subjects, learn about them - sure. But 6,7 AS Levels are pointless - so many exams can only hinder your success in other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I have an impossible choice of about 7 or 8 A-levels that I really really want to do. So far i'm taking Maths, History, German, French/English language/maybe Physics

As you can see, I'm not the most decisive person ever I've had conflicting reports over English lang A-level (NOT the same as eng lit A-level, they are different), and I'm uneasy about taking French as that makes half of my subjects langauges and although I'm good at them and like them, I do like other stuff too. Same with physics, I like sciences but I like other stuff too and don't want to trap myself in a corner where i can only do one thing. Basically, I want to do everything except Art and design subjects!

In fact, I copuld easily pick my GCSEs all over again.. I did History, Drama, French, German but if I picked again I could have easily taken Resistant Materials and Geography. Friends that took Res. Mats. make it look good, and my year 9 teacher said I was good enough to do it at GCSE.

In Year 9 I toyed wth the idea of taking Business Studies as it sounded interesting, but with hindsight (and a friend who took it), it looks a bit of a bummer really. I also cannot take Music because I am not good enough - I enjoy it but do not play an instrument.

Sometomes I just wish i could go off hitchhiking, exploring the world learining stuff as i went along... ah, lifelong learning and all that.

Damn reality. Damn it to hell.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.