The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Anti-americanism is something commen in the UK and at my school the teachers openly mock americans infact during this year alone i can think of many times that they have mocked the US.:wink:
My biology teacher actually said, 'stupid f***ing americans wrecking the english language,' and my form tutor stops and mocks anyone who pronounces anything in an american accent.
Akhoza
Anti-americanism is something commen in the UK and at my school the teachers openly mock americans infact during this year alone i can think of many times that they have mocked the US.:wink:
My biology teacher actually said, 'stupid f***ing americans wrecking the english language,' and my form tutor stops and mocks anyone who pronounces anything in an american accent.

Yes. But they have bastardised the English language! I think it's a fair point... and I think our country is better than America.

He have history, tradition, culture... What do they have?
Reply 22
gideon2000uk
Yes. But they have bastardised the English language! I think it's a fair point... and I think our country is better than America.

He have history, tradition, culture... What do they have?

So have the Nigerians, Jamaicans, and Indians. Why not have a go at them? And so have you, as I don't see you speaking Old English...

A better economy, a more dominant culture (in terms of influencing other countries), and a bigger military?
Reply 23
Bismarck
So have the Nigerians, Jamaicans, and Indians. Why not have a go at them?

Because America is the whipping boy du jour.
gideon2000uk
I don't like the culture (they don't have any),

That's obviously not true. There is American food, literature, films, sport, music, accents etc etc. Just as there is in many other places.
Why should we sympathise with the Americans? Every person has certain prejudices associated with their national heritage and goverment. I am not saying that is right but it happens all over the world not just to Americans.
Bismarck
So have the Nigerians, Jamaicans, and Indians. Why not have a go at them? And so have you, as I don't see you speaking Old English...

A better economy, a more dominant culture (in terms of influencing other countries), and a bigger military?

Because American spelling and pronunciation is having an influence on our language.

The American economy is better than ours, but this is counter-acted by a less than adequate social provision and by an in-egalitarian distribution. Their culture is dominant, but that does not imply that it is valuable and the size of thier military is big, which is good, and I appreciate that... but I still think British values, culture, tradtions and hitory make u the better country. What can I say? I'm a patriot.
Will Grimes1
Why should we sympathise with the Americans? Every person has certain prejudices associated with their national heritage and goverment. I am not saying that is right but it happens all over the world not just to Americans.

Yes but to deliberately use someone's nationality against them to make them unwelcome when they've come over to experience your country is low
naivesincerity
That's obviously not true. There is American food, literature, films, sport, music, accents etc etc. Just as there is in many other places.

This is very true. But when you visit America you are struck by a lack of history or tradition and this takes a big bite out of the feeling of culture.
Reply 29
Will Grimes1

So if you don't like gays or emo kids, you're going to come up to the first one you see and tell them off?
gideon2000uk
This is very true. But when you visit America you are struck by a lack of history or tradition and this takes a big bite out of the feeling of culture.

How? They have plenty of history. So their oldest buildings tend to be a few hundred years newer than ours. So what?
I dont think it is unfair to dislike someone because of their goverment we all have to experience prejudice because of our goverment. And America need our sympathy least of all. the majority of people voted for the bush administration therefore the majority of America have the wrong values. America is also trying to take over the world

The Project for the New American Century is a non-profit educational organization dedicated to a few fundamental propositions: that American leadership is good both for America and for the world; and that such leadership requires military strength, diplomatic energy and commitment to moral principle.

This is a real site with people such as Donald Rumsfeld supporting it
http://www.newamericancentury.org/statementofprinciples.htm
Lawz-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4881474.stm

Really is sad that people would abuse people simply based on nationality...

Why is it so VOGUE to be anti-american?

I agree, that's quite a sad tale.

I've never been abused in a different country because of my nationality, and I've travelled a fair bit, and lived abroard when I was younger.

But then again I have never been the sort of person that would appear in a newspaper, or on television, criticizing my host nation.

Maybe my attitude was a factor?
Reply 33
gideon2000uk
Because American spelling and pronunciation is having an influence on our language.

Give over. Seems to me that most Brits have difficulty stringing two words together; they grunt rather than speak. The English language as spoken/written in England is appalling for many reasons including laziness, rotten teachers, and a preference amongst young people for pretending to be Jamaican:rolleyes: I think its a bit unfair to lay the blame for the erosion of the language at the door of the US.
Reply 34
The US has a rich culture which is heavily influential across the globe.
Anyway, where's social whatsit? I wanted to ask you something...
Reply 36
Will Grimes1
the majority of people voted for the bush administration

No. No they didnt.
Reply 37
Bush votes in 2004: 62,040,610.

Barely one FIFTH of all americans.
Lawz-
No. No they didnt.

Although it is possibly safe to say that the majority of people who voted for Bush voted for Bush
naivesincerity
How? They have plenty of history. So their oldest buildings tend to be a few hundred years newer than ours. So what?

I think what is meant by Gideon is that because the UK has been around for a couple of hundred years more than we have more right to assert our culture. But he has a point - America is, by international standards, still a very young country; and that "culture" should only have weight if it's stood the test of time. Basically - respect your elders (UK). And point of origin, come to think of it.

Latest

Trending

Trending