Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Am I the only person, who Actively religious people give the creeps? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spunk trumpet)
    http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/index.html

Imagine if these tossers turned up on your local high street :mad:
    As well as that, didn't you know that God Hates Sweden?

ReputationRep:
    Is life a Blur? Come to the Oasis.

Fight truth decay - Brush up your bible every day

Carpenter from Nazareth seeks joiners

Come in for a faith-lift

Seven prayer-less days make one spiritually weak.

Come to church in September and avaoid the Christmas rush!

And the classic: CH**CH What's missing? UR

ReputationRep:
    Im religious and it disturbs me. Im quite capable of keeping my religious thoughts in my head, thanks. Dont need reminding while popping into woolworths.

ReputationRep:
    there was a guy walking around town with a huge cross once on Flora Day, a big local festival that happens once a year

he was trying to talk to people about christianity but all everybody was interested in was getting drunk

nope, I didn't listen to him either

ReputationRep:
    Can I just say....I love this thread. hahahahah Especially the eminem guy...what town is that, i'd seriously pay a visit.

my mate rang me up yesterday just so i could hear some happy clappers saying "HALLELUJAH" in the background. Excellent stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teh_samby)
    There's a guy in the next town who raps, changing the lyrics of Eminem's songs to fit religious stories...that's quite amusing. Other than that, I respect otehr people's religious beliefs but would rather not have it shouted at me while I'm walking around town.
    exactly:dito:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    Can I just say....I love this thread. hahahahah Especially the eminem guy...what town is that, i'd seriously pay a visit.

my mate rang me up yesterday just so i could hear some happy clappers saying "HALLELUJAH" in the background. Excellent stuff.
    Hehe, Eminem guy's in Northampton.

ReputationRep:
    I'm there

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, great thread. I'm a Christian but I loathe it when people attempt to shove religion down your throat, particularly when they tell people who arn't Christian/don't believe in God that they'll go to hell. What I tend to like about Catholicism is that there is more tradition and theology in it as opposed to rhetoric which is what a lot of Protestant Evangelists (particularly in the US) rely on in order to convey their message.
    Rep for LibertineNorth

ReputationRep:
    I'd ban religion, if only I was a dictator.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teh_samby)
    I respect otehr people's religious beliefs but would rather not have it shouted at me while I'm walking around town.
    Why do you respect people's religious beliefs? Why do any of you respect religious beliefs? Would you respect my belief that when raindrops tap on my window, they are in fact messages from Zeus in morse code? No, of course not. This is because my belief has not been documented in a "holy" book, neither has it got a long tradition during which time any oppostion to the belief has resulted in the "heretic" becoming the victim of torture, death or social ostracism. But are those good reasons for belief?

You would not respect my belief that I saw Elvis Presley whilst out shopping yesterday and yet you respect the beliefs of people who say that a man was born of a virgin? (Don't just think "oh that's biologically impossible!", ask yourself why you're quite happy to RESPECT peoples' beliefs on the matter when every fibre in your body should be telling you to laugh at the belief.) You would laugh at me if I told you that a little alien appeared at the end of my bed last night and yet you respect the beliefs of those who say that a guy was dead for three days and then came back to life? Imagine how ridiculed I would be if I began worshipping the Greek gods, but you respect the beliefs of those who say Jesus walked across a lake? If I started holding my beliefs that Elvis is still alive, that a little alien visited, or that the Greek gods are real I expect I would be taken to a mental institution. Yet the most powerful man in the world (the American president) was voted in by a population - 44% of whom believe the world was literally created in 6 days - and says he has a personal relationship with God and we are expected to respect these beliefs?

I say that when we respect these beliefs we are giving them a veneer of authenticity (or potential authenticity) they simply do not deserve. Everything we know about the world tells us that children are not born of virgin mothers and yet society is so unwilling to offend by admitting that such a suggestion is utterly ridiculous. I say it's time we stop respecting such rubbish! Rubbish which has, over the course of history, been by far the main reason for conflict and has caused innumerable deaths in every continent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mudman)

And the classic: CH**CH What's missing? UR

^ thats terrible. Very funny... but terrible... lol

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have this same experience - the girls my uni's Christian society seem to be universally hot. So invariably I'll listen to them if they're out looking for converts while entertaining my own filthy, sinful thoughts...

ReputationRep:
    re: evangelicals

If they bother you then ask them why if standing on a hill and waiting for people to choose to come and listen was good enough for Jesus then yisn't it good enough for them?

ReputationRep:
    I can't understand them and so they tend to piss me off.

There was a mob of them in the middle of Sheffield city centre about a month ago. They were all dressed in raindow coloured clothes dancing in a circle clapping their hands (at first I thought it was some civil rights event, or some gay awareness thing or something), and they had some nutter in the middle jumping all over the place, handing anybody who got near the circle a god leaflet.

Very frustrating, but I have to concede that I actually found it quite amusing.

Theres one guy in Sheffield who is there pretty much every day and he just walks up and down the city centre carrying a huge advert on his head with something like 'jesus died for you, now worship!' or something to the same tune scrawled across it.
    Very, very confusing.

I can't really see the benefit to the Church that acting like a bunch of baboons in the city centre is going to have, if anything it is a deterrent.

Still, i'm probably far more polite than I should be. I usually just pass them off with a brief 'no thanks', when really I should probably stop for a chat. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    Theres one guy in Sheffield who is there pretty much every day and he just walks up and down the city centre carrying a huge advert on his head with something like 'jesus died for you, now worship!' or something to the same tune scrawled across it.
    Very, very confusing.
    There was one in Glasgow (I think he might be dead/incapacitated now) that used to walk around with a huge board telling youngster how they were going to hell for engaging in pre-marital sex.

ReputationRep:
    They don't disturb me. If anything, they amuse me. I prefer beating them down with cold logic. What does disturb me very deeply are those who are so deeply indoctrinated that they cannot comprehend things like evolution, or arguments against their faith and stuff like that. Antiprocess is a scary thing.

There's a guy in Camden Town, absolutely hilarious. He usually has massive banners that read "Jesus is come amongst us!" and stuff, and he yells at passers by. Last time I saw him he was yelling "Oooh, look at me! I'm the archbishop of Canterbury! Look at me with fancy theology degree! Well that won't get you into heaven!! Bwahahaha!!" Then a woman walked past laughing and shaking her head and he went, "Ooooh! Look at her! She is a mocker and a scoffer! Well, in the Bible, in the Book of Revelation, it says in the End Times there will be mockers and scoffers! Well thank you lady, you just proved my religion correct!"

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I go to a catholic college (It was the only decent college around for miles) and I can't wait to escape it. Seriously, they try to brain wash you and force you to attend religious assemblys and r.e lessons, its scary. I had an open mind before I started this college but they've turned me right off anything remotely religious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Scotto)

I walked through the town square today to see a big group of people, surrounding someone carrying a huge cross and another person one a electronic keyboard with another one on a guitar.

I found it really creepy and it totally unnerved me.

I really dont like it when the religious come out onto the streets, I can cope with it when its kept behind closed doors... but seriously, i find it really weird.
    Totally agree with you. I'm fine with people practising religion in their won homes/places of worship but it doesn't need to affect me and my heathen live in any way. Leave me to sin in peace I say.

Besides as the guy in Big Fish says "it's rude to talk about religion." I mean c'mon parots don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and I have a crazy religious person anecdote to add. Last year this insane man camped out in the gaveyard wearing barbed wire around his head and claiming he was the messiah. I think he was genuinly mad rather than zealous though....

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.