Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Uni friends watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've moved around a lot and done a lot of different stuff, so I've had a hell of a lot of friends and it's seriously difficult to keep in touch with people who don't live near you, so don't worry about it. After uni you might keep in touch with them, maybe meet up with them once or twice but your main friends will probably be people who you can see on a regular basis, people you work with etc.
    If it bothers you that you don't feel a real connection to your flatmates, maybe take up a new activity or something, bc it's more likely you'll be good friends with someone if you have something in common with them.

ReputationRep:
    I've moved around quite a bit since school so there's no-one from primary or secondary I'm still matey with (and weirdly when I go home I never see any of them so can't imagine where they all disappeared to!). I used to write to a couple of them until a few years back when the contact just fizzled out I suppose.

As for uni...I know what you mean. I have some fab friends but my two best friends I knew already, one from 6th form (though we only became friends when we left) and one from work. I think at uni because most people have best friends etc. back home a lot aren't interested in being bosom buddies for life because they already have one.

Can't say I lose any sleep because of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairycakes)
    hey,
    people say that the friends that they meet at uni are the friends they have for life...i'm in second year, and i don't think i've found these people yet, the friends and housemates i have at the moment are nice ppl and we get along, but we're quite different ppl. I know sometimes opposites attract etc, but after a while it gets a bit annoying when they just look at you weirdly when u just told them something you've done or think is really cool. e.g. shopping/going out etc they just don't get excited at the same things i do...
    i guess from this post i'm just looking to see if anyone else is in the same boat, or has every1 found really good friends already?
    xxxx
    The first time I went to college I met some really good friends. Stayed friends with one of them and 10 year later we still hang out most days.

ReputationRep:
    hey,
    people say that the friends that they meet at uni are the friends they have for life...i'm in second year, and i don't think i've found these people yet, the friends and housemates i have at the moment are nice ppl and we get along, but we're quite different ppl. I know sometimes opposites attract etc, but after a while it gets a bit annoying when they just look at you weirdly when u just told them something you've done or think is really cool. e.g. shopping/going out etc they just don't get excited at the same things i do...
    i guess from this post i'm just looking to see if anyone else is in the same boat, or has every1 found really good friends already?
    xxxx
    Who says that? From everyone I know that's finished Uni, it's generally the case that Uni mates are the most fickle of all friends. As somebody else said, people they may not otherwise have anything to do with each other are thrown together in a unrealistic situation for 3 years.

I've been at Uni for 4 years so far and I've made probably ~100 friends that i know to talk to/go out with/have lived with, of those friends approximately 2 or 3 are people I know I'll remain friends with long-term.

I wouldn't worry about it. Most people that I know that finish uni end up in the same sort of scenario as myself (most of my home friends having finished Uni).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.narb.x)
    I met my best mates before Uni.
    Same...my best friends are all at home. Ive only made one better friend at uni (but hes my boyfriend aswell :p: ). People at uni are cool and nice and all but I'll always be closer to my frieds at home.

ReputationRep:
    i'm kinda disappointed...they're just so different to my friends at home
    i feel exactly the same.. i get along fine with people from uni but their not like my friends from home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mangaroo)
    well, in all honesty im tired of putting up with my "friends" anti-social behaviour and have told them face to face that they suck, so many times now that they just generally laugh now, and have moved on to make new friends. Also quite lucky that university will start soon, so im in a bit of limbo for a month of two.
    SAME.... i need new friends...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dead man's shoes)
    though you're still at uni so that seems a bit premature..
    Stop being so pessimistic about other people's friendships.

ReputationRep:
    What really annoys me is when old friends don't understand when you change. If you leave school at 16, theres a hell of a lot of up-growing to be done in the next two years and more on top of that in the next three.

ReputationRep:
    I was disappointed when I got to uni, I thought it'd be an opportunity to make loads of new mates, but it wasn't the case for me. It was actually something that caused me a lot of grief, I really got myself down because it was the first time in my life that I didn't have a close group of friends, I thought I had become socially retarded.

My friends from college are truly amazing, and we spend as much time as we can together during the holidays and such. However, my acquaintances from uni rarely bothered to keep in touch over the summer. I didn't make good friends with people until a few months ago, and things have started to pick up a bit, but I wouldn't say it’s uncommon for people not to find good mates straight away. My best friend dropped out of uni because she felt she had no friends there!

ReputationRep:
    I have lots of friends from home who I still see loads in the holidays and stuff. But I know people from school who haven't kept in touch at all. I love my uni friends and am very sure I'll be friends for life with most of them, but it's also really nice to be friends with people who've know me since I was born, in some cases! My oldest friend and I don't see each other that much anymore beause we're at uni in different parts of the country, but when she got engaged I was one of the first people she phoned! There's always email and texts to keep in touch.

ReputationRep:
    I got in with the wrong people at first, so I don't actually have a proper group of close friends as in a clique or something now. when i went home for short while during the holiday, I just realised how much different it is to hang out with my best friend. i don't think you can really be as close to your new friends at uni as you were to your friends from school that you may have known for 10 years + or so. But that may come yet, as I said, you've only known these people a short while compared to your friends from school.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't made that many good friends at uni. Loads of acquaintances but onlt bout 3ppl I've got any sort of deep friendship & only 1 girl that I'm close to & can chat to like my friends at home. It is hard cos I hardly get 2 c my 2 gd friends from skool & they r doing nursin so have shorter holidays. I hope I will get to meet more good friends & I guess I'm better off at the end having a few good friends I will keep in touch with properly than lots who contact will fizzle out

ReputationRep:
    hey,
    xxxx

Which people are they and where did you hear that? I'm in the 3rd Year of 4, and tbh I've only made one really good mate who I can see myself staying in touch with after I leave. I had very little time for most of the people I lived with in my First year and as a result I ended up with a slightly random bunch last year and that didn't really work either. I did find some mates on my course last year which was cool but they've all gone on placement this year, and I've joined a band and I like the other guys I play with, but the problem with all these people is that they've all got their own established groups of mates from the first year because they did meet people they like and really get on with. Hence, I have no social life as I can't really butt in on these people's social groups, and I really want to take next year off Uni and do a placement because I'm basically sick of it. And I never meet any bloody girls either! :mad:
    Oops, sorry to go on but yes there are others in the same boat. Or worse.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.