Turn on thread page Beta

how much is this car worth roughly watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Don't pay £7500 for an Avensis they loose their value very quickly and are usualy used as taxis.

WHAT Car is flawed because they don't take into account how quickly cars loose value. This why if I had £5000 to spend on a family size car I would probably go for a BMW or Merc because they will cost you a lot less in the long run.

Apart from when they are new age dosn't really affect the value much, condition and the marque is far more important.

I just don't know why you would want to pay £7000 for a car with 60k on the clock when somthing a lot cheaper will be just as good.

Edit £7000 is not bad considering the car was £14k two years ago but it that means it has lost £7000 in two years which is alarming. With cars like that a 5 year old for around £3000 would be better as it hasn't really got any more value to loose but will still provide 5-7 years trouble free motoring.

ReputationRep:
    Trade sale I would forget it unless that's trade price - wouldn't know as I haven't looked at the Avensis market. I do know our spec'ed up Megane was circa 18k new and we bought for 7.7k at 3 years old - extras cost a lot and lose value.

ReputationRep:
    right,
    for about 5-7k, what model merc or bmw culd i get. dont want the merc A140.

is it possible to get something decent for that price?

In my situation wats the best thing to do

ReputationRep:
    http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW...ch_full=SEARCH

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW...ch_full=SEARCH

Theres a few cars there much more deserving of 7k than an avensis.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and both them cars, the mercs and beamers will easily last 25 years so that is another 20 years life left in them.

I am not one to go for this prestigate stuff but if you do really want to spend £7k on a car you will want somthing which will last and keep its value, you want somthing a bit special.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't ever buy a BMW or Mercedes for the sake of it though! Can get so much better for your money, i'll say that even if others will disagree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pghstochaj)
    I wouldn't ever buy a BMW or Mercedes for the sake of it though! Can get so much better for your money, i'll say that even if others will disagree.
    Personaly if I had £7k for a family car I would just spend £4k on a car and have a holiday with the savings.

What can you get for £7k which will hold its value well, seat 5, be cheap to run and be reliable?

Maybe an LS200 but there isn't much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Personaly if I had £7k for a family car I would just spend £4k on a car and have a holiday with the savings.

What can you get for £7k which will hold its value well, seat 5, be cheap to run and be reliable?

Maybe an LS200 but there isn't much.
    But that's the point, depreciation is only one thing, many things can't be quantified. There are a huge number of cars that are cheap to run and reliable, the fact that they may depreciate differently will be offset by a different initial cost.

If I was spending 7k on a car right now I would hope I would also afford another few k for a holiday

But as I say, with 7k I would never look at a 6 year old+ Beemer, if for nothing else other than the awful image that comes with such a thing.

ReputationRep:
    Would would you but for £7k?

I really cannot think what I would have for £7k but it would have to be special.

I would be too scared of spending £7k on somthing like a Mondeo/Vectra because I know in a years life it will be worth £4.5k which means it costs a fortune to run when you look at it like that.

If you intend to keep the car a long time I guess it is not really an issue. My dad spent £5k on a Fiat Punto in 1998 with the intention of keeping it until it needs to to the scrap yard, he would still have that car now if he didn't write it off.

Looking back I think we were stupid spending so much on such a car.

ReputationRep:
    Right now? Most won't agree but a spec'ed up dci Megane like pointed out on here.

Why? Handsfree locking is simply awesome, as are panaramic sunroofs, in dash CD changer, carbon dash, amazing and heated seats, brake assist, traction control etc. the overall feel of the car and so on, all the basics of course inc. 16"+ alloys, 120bhp, 50+mpg and one of the best common rail engines out. But I am biased as that's what I drive at the moment.

It completely depends, there's not a lot between most cars these days up to about 20k, yeah sure you might find a golf is better built in general than a Fiat but both will have electrical failures and the Fiat has a few better features. It's so much of swings and roundabouts it's about finding the perfect match for you.

I am a great sucker for boys toys, hence why I would choose what is listed above, though some people see that as more stuff to go wrong and would avoid it for that reason, maybe also see the Megane as ugly where I see its beauty.

ReputationRep:
    I must admit I really do like the them new Meganes, the back is simply one of the sexiest things I have ever seen, probably even sexier than Kylie's rear end.

I think it is fair to say that the French and Italians design cars for passion where the German's build cars for functionality.

I guess it depends how much you want modern features, I guess the car like the Megane has very good safety features so for £7k it would be a good buy in that sense, especialy if the owner keeps it for a few years.

ReputationRep:
    Yep but others will think it's unreliable and go for a Golf and forget all that functionality. Handsfree locking is even better than the bum i promise you

Thought this does bring up a question; will the second hand car market be dead in 10-15 years? On a modern car if anything goes wrong, people have to go to the dealership, plug it in (approx £80 for main dealer) and "X might be your problem, costs £XXX).

Now in the past with second hand cars, say my Uno, it had a stalling fault (all early SPI fire engines did; vacuum advances are poor on them), a bit of work and we could fix it and replaced it with a second hand part.

In 10 years time our Megane will be gone and will be say £500 on the second hand market, if the handsfree locking breaks the car will be a write off, if a HEADLIGHT BULB (!!!) breaks and the person isn't mechanically minded (which most people aren't) it may well be a write off! If the switch goes on the underfloor cubbyhole (even Meganes have that now, not just scenics) the interior lights stick on, if you don't happen to know it can happen, the car may be a write off! If you damage a tyre pressure sensor - could be a write off.

And so on....the cost of repairs will be so much greater than the value of the car due to the move away from DIY mechanics I can't imagine what it will be like. Either the market will change or it will die.

It will be "If you can afford to run a 10 year old+ car like that you can afford to buy a brand new one with 5 year warranty blah blah blah" and sadly, it will be true!

ReputationRep:
    7k is pretty much the max were looking to spend. and thats only if we see something that we really want.

were looking for car that is cheap to run, reliable and hopefully can use it for over 15 years. we dont usually buy, only when we have to.

so not that worried about how the value will fall in a couple of years.

so were still looking for 1, maybe vectra or a civic? would it be better to get 1 thats quite new, or 1 thats about 4 years old?

if we get 1 of those models we dont wana spend anymore then 4.5 k.

any more suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to keep it for 15 years then depecreciation really isn't an issue.

The older shape Vectras were not good cars, the newer ones are fine, if you get a Civic get a post 2000 one, i.e not the Ronda style one.

A Honda Accord may well be worth considering, the newer ones (i.e not the Rover 600 style ones) are very fine cars and will last for ever.

ReputationRep:
    ive been looking at a few civics, what is the ronda style? the newer shape is the 1 with the bigger lights and slightly taller.

1.4 civic hatchbacks about 2 or 3 years old on autotrader are 5k+.
    is this a good price? to avoid the ronda style should i only look at 1s that are no more than 4 years old?

ReputationRep:
    Ronda's a basicaly a car designed by Rover and Honda.

Rover 400

Honda Civic

Spot the difference

ReputationRep:
    Meh, Civic is better. If only for the engine, looks, image and badge.

Have a look at this one:

VW Passat from autotrader. It's got pretty good spec and average/low mileage.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.