The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

supercat
I'm like you - shy and teetotal. Not the stereotypical student! But according to a BBC survey 1 in 4 students don't actually drink alcohol. There will always be people like you. You just have to find them :biggrin: And I agree, I don't like what alcohol can do to people and it freaks me out, but that shouldn't stop me from going to bars or pubs, or even clubs (that particular venture is probably what's worrying me most!) because I'm sure if I'm there with decent people I'll have a good time.

Good luck with applying!

You have got to be sh*tt*ng me... I don't know of any students who don't drink.
Reply 21
During fresher's week everybody will be uber friendly. You will find your circle of friends as things settle down.
Reply 22
supercat
But according to a BBC survey 1 in 4 students don't actually drink alcohol.

hahaha, someone at the BBC clearly made a mistake there. A very big mistake.
I'd be surprised if it's 1 in 40, never mind 1 in 4.

12 people on my floor in halls, and I'm the only one who doesn't drink. If you then include the people upstairs on the 1st and 2nd floors, that number goes from 1 in 12 to 1 in 36. I also have friends outside my own halls, shockingly, and they all drink, as do all their flatmates so I'm now thinking that out of everyone I know I must be the only one in at least 80+ who doesn't drink.

that survey is bs, basically.
Reply 23
Here it is. Don't know how true it is, but there you go.

Basically anon, it'll be fine. And students generally go to clubs' student nights, so it'll be the same atmosphere as the campus clubs I would have thought.
Reply 24
supercat
Here it is. Don't know how true it is, but there you go.

Basically anon, it'll be fine. And students generally go to clubs' student nights, so it'll be the same atmosphere as the campus clubs I would have thought.

Does that apply to not specifically clubs' student nights too?
Thanks for the support. Rep coming your way!
don't set your heart on cambridge!
Reply 26
Anonymous
don't set your heart on cambridge!

Why?
Don't have friends in uni, I have colleagues.
Reply 28
Phoenix CG
Don't have friends in uni, I have colleagues.

Do you mean lecturers or other students or both?^o?
Reply 29
Dont worry about not being a drinking or clubbing kind of person, I dont think it has to matter. I go out a fair bit but most of the friends Ive made at uni are on my course, or are interested in the same things as me- I mean Id be friendly with them even if we didnt go out

I think it also depends on what type of course your doing- if you spend a lot of time together with your classmates its easy to make friends there, if your only in six hours a week or something in a class of 300 people itl be tougher
Reply 30
Anonymous
Hopefully Cambridge! But I'm in the Lower Sixth atm so haven't applied or been around anywhere etc plus I still have a year to go before Uni:redface: . I'm still worried nonetheless.

Well if you're in Lower Sixth, you shouldn't be drinking anyway :wink:

A lot of people mature during sixth form, and you'll find you actually make so many friends with people you never really knew before. By the end of next year, the chances are that you'll have become a bit more social and confident, and you'll be able to really look forward to going to university.
Reply 31
What's with people not drinking?
Why? How old are you, 96?
Reply 32
Anonymous
Thanks for that^^.:yy: I'll be taking you up on your offer though maybe in a few months time if you don't mind? I take it you are at Cambridge then?

Alcohol worries me because I don't drink it as I don't like how it tastes. Also I don't like what it can do to ppl.

Perhaps the taste of alcohol will be something that you will grow to like. There are lots of drinks that actually taste nothing like anything alcoholic at all, and you'd believe them to be nothing more than lemonade. Alcohol, in moderation, is nothing really to be worried about and it just relaxes you helps you to become a bit more confident! Still, there's no pressure to drink and nobody will force you or think any worse of you.
Elements
Do you mean lecturers or other students or both?^o?

Both.
Reply 34
red_roadkill
What's with people not drinking?
Why? How old are you, 96?

"what's with people drinking? why?"
...is what I think.

People can do whatever they like, what's your problem? There's no need for the sarcastic comments.
Reply 35
Anonymous
Thanks!:smile: I've just got to find those ppl first! Though I don't like bars and pubs.:-S I don't really dance but when I do I'm kind of like this :elefant: and to trance/dance music too. Mind you, I only do that on my own as I don't really feel comfortable otherwise. Are there any types of clubs anywhere playing that type of music with that type of dancing?

Cambridge is rubbish for clubbing, there's 3 'decent' clubs which are all very small and all they play is cheesy music. Don't worry, you get used to it. There is a club on the outskirts which has trance/dance all kinds of stuff which might be worth looking in to but it's very expensive. If you're looking for more diversity in clubs/people etc. you might not be so happy at Cambridge- the town is very very very tiny, kinda like a village with a uni stuffed in it.
I felt the same on my first day last September. You sound very similar to me, but for the first lecture I sat with a guy and stuck with him for the day and by the end of the day I felt like I knew quite a few people. Its not easy at first, but it gets much easier. I was with a group of 4 other people from my course group for the first couple weeks but then got to know the rest of the people in my group as time went on. We had quite a lot of group tasks early on and then comparing things with other groups so you get to know everyone. Even the most confident of people will feel some anxiety on the first day but it does get better. Im still in first year and I get along better with people from Uni than I did with friends at home :biggrin:
Reply 37
Making friends can be hard but try & find some way of meeting ppl more like u, clubs etc. But also be patient. I made a big group of 'friends' from halls at the start & had some great times first term altho I found it hard to get to know some of them that well but they weren't really like me. Was hurt by some of the girls at the start of this term & 1 of the guys messed me around. Now the girls leave me out quite a lot. It got me down but I gradually became really close to another girl on my corridor & now go out with her bout twice a wk. I'm still working on meeting more good friends but i'm just basically chatting to friends of friends hoping the friendships will develop. Basically wot i'm saying is don't think cos u haven't made friends straight away thats it & sit in ur room. There's prob other ppl out there looking for a friend like u. You've just got 2 find them!
Reply 38
Anonymous
Hi! Like alot of ppl I'm very worried about when I go to Uni and how it will be like etc. One of the things I'm worried about is socially: how I'll meet new ppl for friends. Is there almost no chance that I'll be able to make friends as I am shy, not a party person or socialite, don't drink any alcohol at all and don't smoke etc? Do most ppl go to the SU or bars, clubs and pubs for alot of the time. And isn't there alot of booze at Fresher's Week etc?

I don't drink alcohol, I don't smoke and I HATE bars/pubs although I find clubbing okay.
I was fine. True, alot of the social scene is based around getting drunk.. but seriously there are sooooooooooooooooo many other things to do and I'm pretty happy at uni. You're bound to meet people who are like you, seriously. I was scared like you were but it was really good in the end. Freshers week isn't as boozey as people make out... well it wasn't for me anyway.

Sarah

Latest