Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    thanks man..am thinking the same thing...like the mileage doesn't really matter sometimes...i would get the most expensive out of all of em..which is certainly the golf

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate...I just been through all this, looking at second hand cars and like what to look for, how to judge etc. I found it too hard so just went and bought a new one as there was not much difference in price tbh. So this whole topic is basically what i was doing/deciding last week!

The Golf is an awesome car, its VW it won't break. But i think the insurance will be a killer (insurers will look at 1.6 and that will ring alarm bells, no matter how slow the car!). Personally i would get the conventional Pug that many young drivers have, it has probably had its first expensive service at 10,000 mile (altho check this!) and its next major service is due at 22,000miles. They are usually around £300 plus parts. If you get it from a dealer, make sure it gets serviced before it leaves the forecourt. Good way to check is to lift the bonnet, take the dip stick out and see what colour the oil is. If it is golden brown then it has been serviced, if it is black then it hasn't.

Graham

ReputationRep:
    Mileage isn't much of an issue anymore. Full service history is much more important on modern cars. (Obviously to an extent.)

ReputationRep:
    Im in the predicament atm .. im not considering a nissan micra tho lol . no offence ..
    iv narrowed it down to the

merc a class,
    peugeot107,
    smart for four,
    smart roadster,
    golf,
    or something a bit 4 x 4 like a toyota rav4 or landrover discovery

hehe only because they are all pritty cars dont know what they drive like

but hmm im stilll undecided oh and im considering a mini tho .. but they are so popular im thinking maybe not ..

so any advice would be muchly apreciated by me as well x

ps. does anyone know which factory makes the cars and ships them out quickest because i want my car asap lol .. i dont want to wait :P

and also can anyone recomend any optional extras .. are they really worth it ?? .. considering sat nav tho lol so i dont get lost

ReputationRep:
    Peugeot 107 isn't even close to any of those other cars.

Golf is a car driven by people who think the car makes up for lack of driving ability.

Smart cars are fun to drive but the automatic gearboxes are annoying IMO. Roadster with manual transmission might be cool though.

New Merc A Class (W169) looks nice and sounds like it's better made than the older model.

A Land Rover Discovery3 would be the pick of the bunch.

Who cares how long the wait for a factory build is? You'll have a nice new car and know it was specially made for you. Plus if you get the Merc, they'll fly you to the factory in Germany to collect it so you can drive it home!

ReputationRep:
    Why would you need to wait for the factory? Just buy it from the dealer, or am i missing something? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    If the car is built to order like a rare colour or has options or a combination of options that not many people get, then they usually order it from the factory and they build it specially for you.

My car was a factory order because I had the base spec + factory fitted alarm system, and nobody ever orders the alarm. Plus I ordered it mid-September during the factory closure period so I had to wait until late October for delivery from Spain.

Was good though because I got the next year's spec - if it had been a stock car then I would have got the old style model. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    because they are made to order .. well if i want optional extras they will be .. thats why i was asking if they are worth it...

kingspharm .. thansk for the advice lol you can tell i know nothing about cars just what looks nice lol. I think i might go for the merc as the landrover may be a bit powerfull and im guessing insurance on the merc would be cheaper maybe ?? .. because if my dads very kindly buying me a brand new car then I think i should at least pick the one which is going to have the cheapest insurance for him to pay. And seems as the Peugeot 107 is a brand enw model i dont really know anyone that has one etc. sooo no1 to ask opinions off etc.
    thanks xxx

ReputationRep:
    I looked at insurance for a Disco, couldn't find a quote under about £2500 (TPFT) on a £1200 vehicle. Nice though the Disco 3 is (would probs be my choice!) you'll be paying several arms and legs to insure it..

ReputationRep:
    hmm i was thinking insurance wise be very expensive .. whats that smaller landrover the freelander or something .. thats cute .. recon that would be cheaper ??

ReputationRep:
    IMO the 107 is a cheap and nasty car. The Merc is definitely the one to go for out of those I think - I was looking at an A180 CDI (diesel) as I do a lot of miles. I need cruise control and dual zone climate control. The list of options you can have is fantastic, but if you get the Avantgarde spec and add the iPod adapter then you should be all set.

Insurance is group 6 to 8 or so, so it's certainly not going to be cheap to insure (might be a few grand) - but when you're paying £15K for the car, then what's a few more.

ReputationRep:
    vw golf...very reliable, good drive, good looks, spacious

ReputationRep:
    IMO the 107 is a cheap and nasty car. The Merc is definitely the one to go for out of those I think - I was looking at an A180 CDI (diesel) as I do a lot of miles. I need cruise control and dual zone climate control. The list of options you can have is fantastic, but if you get the Avantgarde spec and add the iPod adapter then you should be all set.

Insurance is group 6 to 8 or so, so it's certainly not going to be cheap to insure (might be a few grand) - but when you're paying £15K for the car, then what's a few more.
    for bonza car insurance deals .. ill have to phone shelias wheels lol .. or diamond or one of the other crappy sexist all woman ones and get my cheapo insurance then claim claim claim when i keep crashing lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiamaria)
    hmm i was thinking insurance wise be very expensive .. whats that smaller landrover the freelander or something .. thats cute .. recon that would be cheaper ??
    Yeah, the smaller Land Rover is the Freelander (the Defender is the really classic one) but there are a number of issues with it reliability wise (engines mainly, rear screens exploding etc) but I haven't looked too far into it as I can't afford one! They may well be cheaper but not sure about them. Is there any particular reason you want a Land Rover, or just looks? I need to tow so I'm thinking of a Defender but they're pretty basic...

ReputationRep:
    There's a new Freelander - are they just as bad as the old Rover ones? I wouldn't buy one as it's a bit like 'Freeloader' - it's a bit of a crap 4x4 to be honest.

The Discovery3 is nice but from what I can tell, starts at £25K and as said, insurance on a 4x4 will be a killer.

ReputationRep:
    I've found quotes of around £700 on a 90, so you can get 4x4 insurance at a vaguely realistic price, but it's a bit basic if you don't need a 4x4!

ReputationRep:
    curly ben i want a landrover because a)looks pritty b) i can bully my way on the roads c) i like the idea of being higher up d) spacious e) i want a range rover but will settle for second best lol

Ooohhh thats scary about windshields etc. maybe ill have a free think if they are that bad

ReputationRep:
    You're crazy if you think a valid reason to get a big 4x4 is to "bully other road users" at 17 years old!

ReputationRep:
    Land Rovers are great but I've heard a number of bad things about the freebie (Freelander). The Defender is basic, the Range Rover is expensive to buy and insure, Range Rover Sport even more so! The Discovery, especially the 3, are very good vehicles but the insurance may be an issue. As a girl it may be ok though, worth a few minutes to get a quote. Big for a first car though! Most people I know get small cars - sadly not possible for me

ReputationRep:
    i also like the idea of fitting more friends in it lol .. and big is always better
    think ill get something slightly smaller then lol .. make do

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 18, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.