Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yeah it does interrupt your social life a fair bit, but it depends how thoroughly you would like to revise. i think i possibly learned too much and went OTT but it got me where i am today

my mate does skiing and other sports and he didnt do that well in his exams, though i am not suggesting a link because i have another mate who travels abroad with his hockey team and he got AAAAC- pretty good!

it does affect your social life because there are three NABS per higher/int 2 and you must pass them to get to sit the end exam. if you fail any of these NABS then you dont get to do the final exam and you fail the course so there is a constant pressure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euan_hmfc)
    Surely school can't affect your social life THAT much. I currently don't go out on school days, mainly due to my location in comparison with friends, but do go out on the weekends and I think this trend will continue next year. Surely?

To be fair I do a hell of a lot of sport during the week which could make things harder.
    What do you want from the highers and what subjects are you doing, then ill let you know what kind of social life you will have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhesi)
    What do you want from the highers and what subjects are you doing, then ill let you know what kind of social life you will have.
    Four highers - Maths, English, Computing and Geography. One Int 2 - PE (which I'm crashing).

I'm probably looking for acceptable results. I'm in no way intelligent enough to get 5 A's or anything like that but if I could get 4 B's and an A in the Int 2 (I imagine getting the A in Int 2 won't be too difficult as PE isn't the hardest of subjects).

Predict my social life, dudeeee!

ReputationRep:
    I would say if you want to achieve that expect a drastic cut back on the social life. Maths, English and geography and computing will take a lot of work. Enjoy them while i piss about in 6th year. 3 WEEKS OF 5TH YEAR LEFT W0000000000 H0000000000 LOL.

1st day of this year my physics teacher came in, didnt even look at the class, turned to the board, started writing and said "Welcome to the worst year of your life". How right he was(for the record my physics teacher is a really cool guy, just having a bad day I think).

Just had to get that off my chest after such a crap day,

Mike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yossarianlives)
    I wish I had gone to my interview for my 6th choice and maybe I too could have had 6 unconditionals. *sigh*..

& you can partay with me!
    yups, and go ice skating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello_its_me_)
    yups, and go ice skating
    I was expecting an exact number of hours I should be revising there Dhesi! You've let me down there!

I know it will be hard but a bit of willpower and belief and you can get anywhere. Except 5 A's, of course!

ReputationRep:
    exactly number of hours, id say 2 a night would stand you in very good stead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhesi)
    exactly number of hours, id say 2 a night would stand you in very good stead.
    Two a night? You having a laugh?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I don't think I have ever done that to this day...

ReputationRep:
    lol I am having a laugh, its hard to estimate as it depends how much your willing to put in. Personally im going for 5 A's(managed it in prelims) in maths english physics chemistry and computing. For that ive probably had at least an hour and a half of homework a night most nights this year so I'd think again before you tell me im having a laugh.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i agree with you dhesi, but i am not naturally clever, i would say i have to work at it.

i know you will hate me for saying this as it will ound so condescending but you really have no idea how hard highers will be. SG is sooooo easy, the moment you are given your first sheets or text book in higher that becomes clear. if you want to keep your head aove the water and ensure you do well you will have to sacrifice approx 2 hours per evening. Obviously some night you will want off but you will prob have to make it up another time.

bear in mind you have those horrid NABS to contend with as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello_its_me_)
    yeah i agree with you dhesi, but i am not naturally clever, i would say i have to work at it.

i know you will hate me for saying this as it will ound so condescending but you really have no idea how hard highers will be. SG is sooooo easy, the moment you are given your first sheets or text book in higher that becomes clear. if you want to keep your head aove the water and ensure you do well you will have to sacrifice approx 2 hours per evening. Obviously some night you will want off but you will prob have to make it up another time.

bear in mind you have those horrid NABS to contend with as well.
    Ye you'll be completely dazed by the highers at first but its natural.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and how all the unit 3 NABs for every subject are in the 2 weeks between easter holidays and exam leave...

Never mind the A/B tests... :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yossarianlives)
    Yeah, and how all the unit 3 NABs for every subject are in the 2 weeks between easter holidays and exam leave...

Never mind the A/B tests... :/
    Aw man tell me about it things are insane at the moment. Ive still got 3 NAB's and 3 A/B exams in one week :eek: . I must be crazy as well cus ive picked AH Chem, AH Physics and a crash in H Human bio.

Mike

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we're doing an AH Chem AB test which is kind of great... AB in AH Physics though next Wednesday and a NAB for each of them..

And then an AB test in H Bio. This is the worst time ever.

& It's project time. ARGH.

ReputationRep:
    i know! i am so stressed right now, my english dissertation is due by tuesday, as is my biology and history stuff. argh! at least i can score the english off (did final touches last night) and my bio is nearly there (again, just finishing touches to do) and history is... getting there! lol!

i think we all may have put the OP off doing any highers at all :p:

ReputationRep:
    looks like everyone is inundated with nabs at the moment, i have 4 this week and an a/b test - not good!

also to the how many hours of studying you should do a night - well currently i am doing 1 and a half hours a night sometimes 2 and i really hope i do well, i am doing that amount as i really did badly in my prelims as i thought if i studied the night before i would be okay - not true!
    I have no appeals to fall back on so i really need to do well so i definately think 2 hours is a good amount to study if you want to do well.

phew - rant over

ReputationRep:
    2 hours is good atm considering your at school for another six.

ReputationRep:
    My graphic communication deadline is wednesday. I have 5 orthographic drawins to pull out of my backside, a 14 page analysis to be written, and one of my pages for my magazine to be finished.

I hate doing 3 project-based advanced highers.

Oh yeah, and that biology AB test tomorrow that I just haven't revised for.

ReputationRep:
    good luck!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.