x Turn on thread page Beta

Finding a prom/ball dress with an Asian influence - where to start? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    --

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosalily)
    Ooh yes - I love the stole idea
    And kittennffc, I like about an hour from manchester and I'm going shopping there on thursday, but where's curry mile? :confused:

Get on the road where the Uni is... its called Oxford Road... The curry mile is on that same road except a little further down... where the eye hospital is...

Basically... Oxford Road, where the main uni campus is, is a road that connects Curry Mile to the city centre (where the arndale is etc) So if you're in the city centre where arndale is, you'll need to get to the opposite end of Oxford Road.

Just do an image google search of the curry mile (its quite well known in the UK) and take a look at the pics, so then when you goto Manc you'll recognise it. The area its in is Wilmslow... just ask anybody round there and they'll point you to it

OR do a route planner on the AA website

Sarah

ReputationRep:
    Thanks hapa girl! All your help has been terrific (i'll rep you when I can - i'm all out of rep right now!)

Can I ask, how much did it cost to get a dress tailored?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosalily)
    Thanks hapa girl! All your help has been terrific (i'll rep you when I can - i'm all out of rep right now!)

Can I ask, how much did it cost to get a dress tailored?
    Well I wasn't at school in the UK..just here for uni... I had it done back home (in Bahrain) where its alot cheaper than UK... it cost me about 120 pounds for tailoring including buying the material etc

I don't know how much tailoring costs in the UK though but I heard quite pricey though I could be wrong!

Sarah

ReputationRep:
    Soho road in Birmingham has a range of shops where you can get sari's, salwars and lenghas at all types of prices.

If your looking for a dress with an indian twist to it, i reccommend a shop their called kirans who do really nice dresses.........they can be abit pricy but it depends on what your looking for............Silons also do a good selection as well as Amans........if thats any help?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks the only problem is, I live nowhere near Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    check out the asian shops down green street if you're near london. or even southall, bethnal green and whitechapel. i recently got a dress for my cousins wedding, but mines hot pink so looks very indian, but you can get similar things in...less brighter colours.

ReputationRep:
    I wore an Indian-fabric style dress to my ball last year:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ersball001.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ersball004.jpg

It was from Monsoon - maybe you could still find one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisaG)
    I wore an Indian-fabric style dress to my ball last year:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ersball001.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ersball004.jpg

It was from Monsoon - maybe you could still find one?
    Aww thats so pretty

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.