Poll: Are the January 2013 exams harder than previous years?
Yes (66)
51.56%
No (62)
48.44%
spookz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My AS Geography exam was hard because they had change so much of the layout of the exam compared to the previous years
Genesis2703
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The only exam I've done thus far this January was Mechanics 2 for OCR. I'd say the paper was not too bad at all, excluding the last question which was harder than normal for sure. In terms of OCR M2 though I'd say it was harder than June 2012 but easier than Jan 2012 for sure
GCSE-help
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well I've sat Unit 1 edexcel exams for Physics, Chemistry and Maths, and I can safely say that all the tests were on another level to the past papers in terms of difficulty.

Anyone know what the situation is with grade boundaries this year? I know a lot of it depends on how the government are feeling but normally do they depend on how the country did as a whole or are they increasing every year? I've asked this like a dozen times on here and had no answer/assurances so any response would be great. Really nervous about the grade boundaries.

Thanks guys
Apocalyptic Fish
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
After sitting G494 Physics, I'd say so.
FloydRix
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
C1 was a very hard this year.
berryripple
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've only done one so far (Edexcel Government & Politics) and I thought it was a very nice paper.
Rubbaduckzilla
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hard but not extremely hard though. I mean it is alevels..
Llewellyn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is natural to find the paper you sat harder than the previous ones. This is because you feel a lot more pressure in the real exam and you probably aren't thinking straight. It is unlikely that there has been a noticeably large step-up in difficulty.

I've heard that one or two papers are harder this time around, and I've heard that some have been easier also. That's all to be expected really...
GCSE-help
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Llewellyn)
It is natural to find the paper you sat harder than the previous ones. This is because you feel a lot more pressure in the real exam and you probably aren't thinking straight. It is unlikely that there has been a noticeably large step-up in difficulty.

I've heard that one or two papers are harder this time around, and I've heard that some have been easier also. That's all to be expected really...
I agree with you to be honest but I still find it hard to say the physics/chemistry (especially the physics) papers were 'ordinary'. Definitely a little jump in terms of difficulty and a little change in style. Physics exam was so difficult to interpret, and STILL is as everyone ponders over it whilst the past papers were much more understandable.
dendodge
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Edexcel Physics 4 was the easiest exam so far, by quite some margin.

But that's all I've done so far, so it's a very limited sample
Tweek
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
WJEC English Language was much easier this year compared to last.
The texts were so easy to analyse.
pink pineapple
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The two exams I did yesterday seemed fine plus one was a re-take and it seemed easier than when I previously did the exam.
GCSE-help
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DavidH20)
G484 really was a bit out of the blue imo.

I think it's likely that everybody feels like this after every set of exams, though the conspiracy theorist in me is wondering if after the grade inflation comments/harsh marking mini-scandal the exam boards just decided to make the papers tougher so that they could get a less skewed mark distribution, in order to make grading easier...

I think they should tbh - it would make the A and A* grades really mean something...
What do you mean by a less skewed mark distribution? Do they want lesser A grades? How do you think the grade boundaries will be affected by this?
TheRenegade
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tweek)
WJEC English Language was much easier this year compared to last.
The texts were so easy to analyse.
were they, a few others found it easy too.
RunningInHeels
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by letsbehonest)
C1 wasn't super hard to the point where you want to bang your head on the table and give up. It was on par with some of the easier solomon papers but defo top end of edexcel papers.

Can I just say biology unit 1 edexcel was the easiest exam I have ever sat?
C1 wasn't "super hard"? Wow. I am already revising for my resit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MoonsLoveChild
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have noticed examiners are getting more sneaky, especially AQA...
MoonsLoveChild
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by FloydRix)
C1 was a very hard this year.
what exam-board did you do?
senz72
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Possibly but I'm thinking grade boundaries will be higher this year to coincide with Gove's plan's. I wouldn't be surprised if the overall A-level pass rate fell this year.
RunningInHeels
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MoonsLoveChild)
I have noticed examiners are getting more sneaky, especially AQA...
I agree with that. Some questions are so ambiguous. I did PHIL1 and the entire paper was brilliant except for "It is difficult to make sense of the idea of God. Discuss." !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
MoonsLoveChild
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RunningInHeels)
I agree with that. Some questions are so ambiguous. I did PHIL1 and the entire paper was brilliant except for "It is difficult to make sense of the idea of God. Discuss." !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am doing the sciences and some questions are always ambiguous, but even more so now.
and what is worse is they (since June 2012) have been adding some questions from previous units and they must realise that they will be have people sit these exams that have not done these units in almost 2 years, which puts them at a distinct disadvantage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.47%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.23%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
13.29%

Watched Threads