The Student Room Group

He's older than me...Opinions?

Scroll to see replies

There's a lot of people on here saying that it's weird due to different stages in life etc. However, following on from my previous post, I did have concerns about this when we first got together. But he's no more ready for marriage and babies than I am, and if he was, he certainly wouldn't waste time staying with me - we have both discussed this, and it simply isn't an issue. We ARE both the same level of maturity, despite those who have said stuff along the lines of 'you think you're really mature when you're 18 but you're not', otherwise we wouldn't have been together for as long as we have. If someone saw us together, they would not notice the age gap, just as myself and our friends forget about the age gap most of the time - a lot of my friends are in there mid twenties too, I even have a few in there thirties. Age IS just a number, what is important is the core values that you hold, interests, maturity and a similar outlook on life and the relationship - and this goes for friendship too. I genuinely think it's one of those things that you don't understand until you fall for someone older than you, or have close friends older than you - you find that age really is irrelevant if those key things remain. There is no reason not to try it... if it doesn't work, at least you'll know.
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous
So I've recently started seeing a guy, just casually, that I was friends with beforehand. He is 26 and I'm 18. If you knew someone who was doing that what would you think if they told you? (Okay you can hate on me but just looking for opinions and whether you think it would be different in certain situations?).

And before anyone asks or says, he's not a creep/paedo, we just decided to have some fun, I'm fairly experienced and he pushes my buttons.

i think an eight year gap is a tad bit too big (for me personally), however (generally speaking), males tend to become mature later on compared to females. so as long as youre both at the same maturity level then its all good:cool:
If it's something casual then why are you even worried about what people will say?

I disagree with the idea that you going to university inevitably means that it won't last. I've been with my boyfriend for two years (when we met, I was 17 and he was 29) and now I'm at university and see no reason why we shouldn't continue happily together.

As for what people will say, the majority of people I told were surprised at first and, although they didn't say anything explicitly, I got the impression that they were thinking either "she's being naive and is going to get hurt" or "Wow, he must be a paedo/creep". Without fail, this stopped as soon as they met him and realised what a nice, normal guy he is and how well suited we are to each other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending