Order in which to learn further maths at home Watch

Keynesian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JJMS)
SO im basically learning further maths at home( and if i'm okay with it then additional too), and was wondering if anyone would change the order i was thinking of learning it in. My order was:
c1,c2,d1,s1,m1,fp1,c3,fp2,c4,fp3 ,s2,m2,
is that alright, also is there any other combination people would find less challenging or maybe more interesting. Preferably interesting even if more challenging.
Edexcel btw
What exam board are you using?
Damask-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in the midst of doing Edexcel further maths and the order in which we learned the modules is:
C1, C2, S1. (Sept-Jan L6.)
C3, C4, M1, D1. (Jan-June L6.)
FP1, M2, S2. (Sept-Jan U6.)
FP2, FP3, choice of M3 or S3 (Jan-June U6.) We take an extra module so if we screw up something like FP3 which we won't have a chance to resit then it hopefully won't make a huge impact.

It's nice doing FP1 after C3 and 4 because you can use the differentiation from those modules that you won't know from C2. (Parametric)
I think you do need C4 for FP2 because of all the integrals you don't know until then.
lizz-ie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JJMS)
Are you doing this at home r in college?
Some of it at home, some of it at sixth form
red_robyn
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey, I'm learning Maths A level at college and doing further maths at home. I think the best thing to do if you know you're doing both at home is to do all your core ones first (including FP1 and FP2/FP3) and then group the others together, i.e. do M1, then M2, then M3 because it will be much easier doing all the mechanics in one go as you need to know everything from M1 to do M2 and material from C1 - C3. Not sure about M3 (not doing it) but I'd guess it's pretty much the same situation. Then you could maybe try the statistics and if you don't like it just carry on with more mechanics. With regards to D1 you could probably do it whenever - you don't really need anything from any other module as its all new stuff and fairly straightforward once you get the hang of it. Personally my favourite modules are the Statistics, Core and Further modules. Decision gets boring pretty quickly (imo) and I find mechanics, without doubt to be the hardest, although this is probably becuase I don't do physics and my maths teacher (the only one at college) says she only did the material from M1 and failed so she's not much help :P
I know this isn't really part of your question but www.examsolutions.co.uk is a great website with tutorials on how to do all the material from Edexcel maths units C1-C4, M1-M2, S1-S2 and FP1-FP2.
JJMS
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by red_robyn)
Hey, I'm learning Maths A level at college and doing further maths at home. I think the best thing to do if you know you're doing both at home is to do all your core ones first (including FP1 and FP2/FP3) and then group the others together, i.e. do M1, then M2, then M3 because it will be much easier doing all the mechanics in one go as you need to know everything from M1 to do M2 and material from C1 - C3. Not sure about M3 (not doing it) but I'd guess it's pretty much the same situation. Then you could maybe try the statistics and if you don't like it just carry on with more mechanics. With regards to D1 you could probably do it whenever - you don't really need anything from any other module as its all new stuff and fairly straightforward once you get the hang of it. Personally my favourite modules are the Statistics, Core and Further modules. Decision gets boring pretty quickly (imo) and I find mechanics, without doubt to be the hardest, although this is probably becuase I don't do physics and my maths teacher (the only one at college) says she only did the material from M1 and failed so she's not much help :P
I know this isn't really part of your question but www.examsolutions.co.uk is a great website with tutorials on how to do all the material from Edexcel maths units C1-C4, M1-M2, S1-S2 and FP1-FP2.
Thanks, yeah i love that website aha, i'll probably do it that way tbh, it sounds the most logical, grouping all the pure and applied modules
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads