David Cameron refuses to face UKIP in tv debates Watch

A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If he wants it limited to parties likely to form government, the Lib Dems have no legitimacy being involved in the next TV debates.
Harry Callahan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The Socktor)
Nowhere near as many as nobody.

Also in response to the OP, I'm pretty sure the PM has more important things to do.
We'll see.
Ace123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Harry Callahan)
We'll see.
Sign this petition to allow UKIP to take part in the 2015 TV election debates:
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/43153
Harry Callahan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ace123)
Done.
InnerTemple
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The trouble with UKIP is that they will lie and stretch the truth at any given opportunity. If you are Nigel Farage and you run around saying things like: 'Over 70% of our laws come from Europe!' or 'Eastern Europeans are causing housing shortages!' or 'the EU means immigrants come here and take all our benefits' then you are bound to get support. The trouble is, it is all nonsense. UKIP relies on the support of the misinformed or the ignorant.

As such, it would be quite hard to debate with them since the idea of a reasoned debate based on facts would go out of the window.

And anyway - dirty tricks aside, they just simply don't deserve to be in the debates. They are not the third party.
izzyryan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
All parties, however extreme, should be given the same chances as the major parties to gain support. We can't just veto the ones we don't like, if they come across as unelectable in the tv debate that's their problem.
tengentoppa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
All parties are populist. Farage is the brightest figure in British politics, and UKIP will get an awful lot of votes next election.
I doubt it.
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
If he wants it limited to parties likely to form government, the Lib Dems have no legitimacy being involved in the next TV debates.
While I agree, even on their current poll ratings the Lib Dems will manage 10-20 seats, enough to be considered a political player in a hung parliament. UKIP on the other hand, on their current poll ratings will be lucky to get 1 or 2 seats, meaning that even on a good day they'll probably be ignored in a hung parliament.
Harry Callahan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tengentoppa)
I doubt it.
We'll see.
The Socktor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We'll see.
People vote for the candidate they can trust.
Harry Callahan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The Socktor)
People vote for the candidate they can trust.
And Labour are trustworthy after the last debacle? We can trust them to **** up the country even more, yes.
The Socktor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
And Labour are trustworthy after the last debacle? We can trust them to **** up the country even more, yes.
Maybe you should have read my original post. :dunce:
marnie1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by InnerTemple)
The trouble with UKIP is that they will lie and stretch the truth at any given opportunity. If you are Nigel Farage and you run around saying things like: 'Over 70% of our laws come from Europe!' or 'Eastern Europeans are causing housing shortages!' or 'the EU means immigrants come here and take all our benefits' then you are bound to get support. The trouble is, it is all nonsense. UKIP relies on the support of the misinformed or the ignorant.

As such, it would be quite hard to debate with them since the idea of a reasoned debate based on facts would go out of the window.

And anyway - dirty tricks aside, they just simply don't deserve to be in the debates. They are not the third party.
I don't see the harm in giving them the chance! they are after all the only party worth their words on providing a referendum on the eu to the british public therefore what they have to say is prominent on this topic. All the other parties are pro eu therefore what would be the opposing argument within this debate? If Cameron really had the balls he would welcome a debate with the "odd people" of UKIP instead of running in the opposite direction- maybe into the arms of obama? as apperantly he also has some words of wisdom on our relationship with the eu. And for you saying they provide misinformed information.. surely even if that were true they sure as hell aren't the worst culprits- Lastly if UKIP isn't the third party, which they are! who in your opinion is? the lib-dems maybe?
Ace123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well done everyone petition is just about to hit 5,000

uktotalgamer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why should the Lib Dems even feature in the next TV debates? They aren't the third party anymore, UKIP are as reflected by the opinion polls. I realise they are in government but the debates should be reflective of the current time, and at the moment the lib dems are nowhere near.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by uktotalgamer)
Why should the Lib Dems even feature in the next TV debates? They aren't the third party anymore, UKIP are as reflected by the opinion polls. I realise they are in government but the debates should be reflective of the current time, and at the moment the lib dems are nowhere near.
Firstly we have FPTP so it is seats which matter the most, secondly none of the last 4 polls have showed Ukip higher than the Liberal Democrats and in the only national thing we have to go on.. the local elections, the Lib Dems came quite a clear third.
uktotalgamer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Firstly we have FPTP so it is seats which matter the most, secondly none of the last 4 polls have showed Ukip higher than the Liberal Democrats and in the only national thing we have to go on.. the local elections, the Lib Dems came quite a clear third.
http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2012/...new-poll-highs

Sorry. Where have you been the past few months?

EDIT: I realise the story is from 2012 but my point still stands. Next election, Lib Dems will be fourth.
the mezzil
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Good.

As a Tory who does not like Ukip's stance on several issues he has done the correct thing for the party.
So basically you realise Dave would get owned.
the mezzil
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by paddyman4)
It would be a joke for him to be involved. If UKIP win more than 10 seats then maybe let them debate next election. As it stands, they have no seats and the joke of a party called the Greens is a bigger party than UKIP.

It would also be embarrassing to hear him answer every question in the same way.

"What do you think our energy policy should be?"
"Well, the problem with Europe..."

"How can we fix the economy?"

"What should we do with education?"

"What is your stance on gay marriage?"
I think not, I will direct you to the UKIP page. All is explained there if you look. http://www.ukip.org/content/ukip-policies
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/

You are referring to the Comres poll last month which put them on 14% however the latest Comres poll now has them at 10%. It's the first point in the link above.

(Original post by uktotalgamer)
http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2012/...new-poll-highs

Sorry. Where have you been the past few months?

EDIT: I realise the story is from 2012 but my point still stands. Next election, Lib Dems will be fourth.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads