Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Girls? No

Women, yes.
ahq
Badges: 15
Report 6 years ago
I generally go for a 'hi' and an awkwardly raised hand, but that's because I'm shy. :o:
Monstar111
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's normal to handshake people.
Whenever I meet new people I handshake regardless of gender.

For the second time meeting that person I won't handshake unless the situation feels awkward right from the start. Just a judge on character upon seeing people.
However on saying good bye I may shake the guys hand and hug the girl.
Just easier down the line.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jimbo1234
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by iamsuperwoman)
This wonderful guy decided to introduce himself to me today at work (second time now) and tried to give me a handshake. Me being the nervous reck I am rejected him on the two occasions he offered and instead hi5'd him. He also started conversation but once again I ruined it.

Anyway, I hardly get handshakes from guys! What does this mean?
It is called manners.
Hi-fiving someone is very poor manners and not appropriate really for work.
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What a weird question! Handshaking is just a polite thing to do the first time you meet someone. After that it's hugs all the way, unless on subsequent meetings you still don't know then very well at all.
CharlieSChaplin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by iamsuperwoman)
This wonderful guy decided to introduce himself to me today at work (second time now) and tried to give me a handshake. Me being the nervous reck I am rejected him on the two occasions he offered and instead hi5'd him. He also started conversation but once again I ruined it.

Anyway, I hardly get handshakes from guys! What does this mean?
Well you have come off as rude and disrespectful towards your co-worker. In a workplace environment handshakes are common, depending on the way they are done they can make you the more powerful or the weaker one in the working relationship and the way you have done it is not only reject but go for a high five which basically means you are out of the rat race and career wise will be at a disadvantage, especially if you do that to everyone you come across.
Monstar111
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Although a lot of people are saying its rude and such it all depends on the work type. When I was supporting new employees I'd try to make it as relaxed as possible - maybe not high five - potentially joking and "banter" if there's a way for it.
So I wouldn't say you were rude to high five just for some here it seems wrong for their experience and idea of work place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eboracum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I shook hands with Rachel Reeves, shadow chief secretary to the treasury last night, so yes, I do
iamsuperwoman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by CharlieSChaplin)
Well you have come off as rude and disrespectful towards your co-worker. In a workplace environment handshakes are common, depending on the way they are done they can make you the more powerful or the weaker one in the working relationship and the way you have done it is not only reject but go for a high five which basically means you are out of the rat race and career wise will be at a disadvantage, especially if you do that to everyone you come across.
He was a customer.... no a co-worker.
Michaelj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Only the manly girls.
EonBlueApocalypse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I use a handshake to greet anyone new I meet. If it's a male its a firm fairly static handshake, if it's a female it's more gentle with a up and down motion.
HaQ_mAn_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
they must have a hand fetish...
Solid.Snake
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kage)
Haha!!! Okay, in a situation like that, handshakes are best!

Now imagine a high 5!
Haha it would be very awkward!
Especially if they just stand there and look at you like :lolwut:
Solid.Snake
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I find it really embarassing when you stick your hand out to signal a handshake to someone and they either don't notice or ignore you making you look foolish!
Zhy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Girls have lovely, soft hands... I love to smell and suck them if she lets me.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Goody2Shoes-x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Guys handshake me at jobs etc when we meet, but I have known guys to shake my hand when we meet. I just see it as that's what they do and how they've been raised, it's polite.
British-Student
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Outside of the gender thing, greetings change depending on familiarity. E.g., I'd shake the hand of a new work acquaintance or something, but if I met one of my friends at a pub, it's a fistbump or a bro-hug all the way.
IdilSM
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I personally love t when a guy gives you a proper handshake for some reason. I don't really like awkward 'hi's and nod acknowledgments when meeting new people haha
Perseveranze
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nope.

(Original post by ihaventaclue)
HARAAM (forbidden) I TELL YOU!
Yup.
LittleRit
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As a girl i rarely think to offer a handshake...which is pretty rude when I think about it.... But I've never thought of turning one down when i have been offered one, by anyone. And i never thought of it as weird being offered a handshake by a boy/guy/man.

Oh wait, i may have inititated one handshake once when i intoduced myself at the bar infront of customers/punters/patrons/whateveryoucallthem to the landlord i was working for on a relief shift, but I think thats it......
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (83)
68.03%
No I haven't decided yet (23)
18.85%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
13.11%

Watched Threads