Favourite Hitchcock films Watch

feenicks89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by belligerent ghoul)
If there was no Hitchcock, then there would have been someone else to revolutionise cinema like he did and they would have been influenced by him/her, just as new directors are influenced by the likes of Francis Ford Coppola, Tarantino etc. It's just natural and inevitable that artists are influenced by their predecessors and it doesn't make them any worse. I'm sure Hitchcock was influenced by earlier film-makers.
Ah yeah true i just said something like that before i saw this
feenicks89
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by danadd9)
feenicks you don't deserve an opinion. Sorry.

Dial M, Notorious, Strangers on a Train and Shadow of a Doubt are all super.
hey come on man thats unfair i gave some pretty valid reasons why other directors deserve more if not just as much respect as alfred hitchcock. I know far more about cinema than you do , your just being a bigot, have a civil debate like the others dont just be ignorant
matthewoingram
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by feenicks89)
Just because people do things first does not give them a right to undermine the ingenious of people who do things later on and were obviously born at a later date and could do just as much if no more. Otherwise youd have everything undermined by everyone who did stuff first you could just aswell say that Hitchcock was influenced by the legendary 'George Melies' who change moving pictures forever but i bet more people admire Hitchcock, the same way i admire Quentin tarintino more
I understand that but you can't say that Hitchcock isn't a massive influence. Not once have I said that Hitchcock is THE best, neither have I undermined the achievements of any other film maker that you have or haven't mentioned. I'm saying that without Hitchcock it's possible that none of these works would have been made and if they were, they almost certainly wouldn't be the same as we know them.

Invention is only part of being influential. The other part is being innovative in the way that you use what you have. Hitchcock did both of these, therefore he's influential. Hitchcock would have been influenced by those before him just as much as people are influenced by other past and contemporary film makers today.
Hugo Rune
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The 39 Steps, Shadow of a Doubt, Rear Window and Marnie are my Hitch favourites of those that I've seen (only about 10 of his filmography).
feenicks89
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by matthewoingram)
I understand that but you can't say that Hitchcock isn't a massive influence. Not once have I said that Hitchcock is THE best, neither have I undermined the achievements of any other film maker that you have or haven't mentioned. I'm saying that without Hitchcock it's possible that none of these works would have been made and if they were, they almost certainly wouldn't be the same as we know them.

Invention is only part of being influential. The other part is being innovative in the way that you use what you have. Hitchcock did both of these, therefore he's influential. Hitchcock would have been influenced by those before him just as much as people are influenced by other past and contemporary film makers today.
touche, but some are more fantastic than others and im just not picking Alfred Hitchcock and seem to be getting stick for it because the 'norm' is to admire the hitch but its all relative i guess . I just dont want people to think that Alfred Hitchcock deserves more appraisal than others great before and after. one day there will be nothing original to give so there is only a limit place for greatness not just reserve for hitchcock
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just because people do things first does not give them a right to undermine the ingenious of people who do things later on
You suggested that Hitchcock, and indeed all film before 1970 was rubbish

You were the only person to be critical

No-one criticised the directors that you mentioned

You seem to think that respect for one director/genre/era automatically belittles all others

I do not agree ... I consider some of Hitchcock's work to be the work of genius ... I feel the same about Spielberg and Scott
matthewoingram
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
touche, but some are more fantastic than others and im just not picking Alfred Hitchcock and seem to be getting stick for it because the 'norm' is to admire the hitch but its all relative i guess . I just dont want people to think that Alfred Hitchcock deserves more appraisal than others great before and after. one day there will be nothing original to give so there is only a limit place for greatness not just reserve for hitchcock
Nah, I can see where you're coming from (my personal favourite director is Danny Boyle) but I think the 'stick' you speak of comes from your decision to post this on a thread called 'Favourite Hitchcock films' - the thread's obviously going to attract Hitchcock fans who are going to defend their viewpoint if someone says something which challenges what they think. To get a better sense of who people most admire, maybe we should start a poll under a new thread?
feenicks89
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by matthewoingram)
Nah, I can see where you're coming from (my personal favourite director is Danny Boyle) but I think the 'stick' you speak of comes from your decision to post this on a thread called 'Favourite Hitchcock films' - the thread's obviously going to attract Hitchcock fans who are going to defend their viewpoint if someone says something which challenges what they think. To get a better sense of who people most admire, maybe we should start a poll under a new thread?
ah i see im new didnt think about that
feenicks89
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TenOfThem)
You suggested that Hitchcock, and indeed all film before 1970 was rubbish

You were the only person to be critical

No-one criticised the directors that you mentioned

You seem to think that respect for one director/genre/era automatically belittles all others

I do not agree ... I consider some of Hitchcock's work to be the work of genius ... I feel the same about Spielberg and Scott
I never called them 'rubbish' i gave my opinion and that was that i didnt like them and then explained my own preference to fit in with the OP's question
Mr Makaveli
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Throw Momma from the Train

That famous Alfred Hitchcock-Danny Devito movie
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I never called them 'rubbish' i gave my opinion and that was that i didnt like them and then explained my own preference to fit in with the OP's question
My error

you called them boring and filled with atrocious acting
matthewoingram
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
New thread here! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2232630
feenicks89
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My error

you called them boring and filled with atrocious acting
yeah they are bloody boring , anyway i opend a new thread to get on to a different topic - ovarated films of all time care to contribute?
ninth2
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My favourites are The Birds, Psycho, Rebecca and Rear Window. I also really like Marnie, which isn't as popular. It's not a watertight film, there are quite a few problems with it but I still love it! It's really interesting that it was even released back then - it has quite a controversial scene that even today I found surprising! Probably just because I didn't expect it though. Master of suspense and all...
cant_think_of_name
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Fair play cant remember much about Norman Bates though .

Ok modern films to compete with here are my selection of impeccable post 1980's films that are unparalleled now or even ever maybe.

Blade Runner , Gladiator
Mullholland Drive
Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction , Inglorious *******s (Quentin Tarentino)
Last of the Mohicans
A Clockwork Orange (although thats 1971)
Revenge
There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men
Star wars IV,V,VI (A new hope is 1977)

In My opinion these few films are 'perfect' they literally cannot be improved

Love Mulholland Drive. As for Hitchcock...it has to be Psycho doesn't it? So tense!
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
care to contribute?
done
danadd9
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hey come on man thats unfair i gave some pretty valid reasons why other directors deserve more if not just as much respect as alfred hitchcock. I know far more about cinema than you do , your just being a bigot, have a civil debate like the others dont just be ignorant
Man it's so easy to **** with you guys.
My bad.
Pandora.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I watched quite a few Hitchcock films for the first time over Christmas (as well as Rear Window a while ago), so here's my ratings. I find it really hard to pick favourites from such a great group of movies, so I haven't ordered this:

The Lady Vanishes - A terrific film. I felt that it started slowly, but on a rewatch I would value the first 20 minutes or so a lot more. It does have quite a light, humorous tone throughout which might not appeal to some fans, but I'd say it's a good movie to help introduce yourself to Hitchcock's style. Loved it.
Rear Window - The first Hitchcock movie I ever watched, and one of my favourites. Restricting it to a small setting works really well, and you start to be just as interested in what the neighbours get up to as James Stewart does. I highly recommend watching Rear Window as soon as possible.
Rebecca - It's in a different vein to most other Hitchcock films, but the tension is still there. And trust me, when he gets going with building up the atmosphere he doesn't stop! If you haven't got any previous knowledge of the book, you're in for a treat.
The Birds - Another one that takes a while to get going, but once it gets in full swing it'll have you on the edge of your seat. A definite recommendation.
Notorious - I found this a bit hard going at times, but it deserves a rewatch. Great cast.
The 39 Steps - I'll admit I never fully got into this, but then again it's not my preferred genre. Again, it deserves a rewatch at some point. It's down as one of the greats though, so I'm sure you'll love it.

Don't forget to try and spot Hitch's cameos!
TheMagicRat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Rear Window - You're expertly put into the main characters situation. It's like you're living the role with James Stewart.

Strangers on a Train - Not as well known by the wider public as some of his other films which I think is a shame. Excellent use of light throughout.
flowerserpent
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Rear Window

Jimmy Stewart is gorgeous in it

The framing of scenes is superb

Excellent Story

Rope

Just the audacity of the single shot

Together with the tension

North by NorthWest

The fun factor

Who doesn't love Cary

The boy who puts his fingers in his ears
I have now also seen ?Rope? which I absolutely loved because of the philosophical elements to it and the wittiness of Brandon. I agree there is a lot of tension; I swear I was fretting more than Philip that they were going to be caught haha. I think it is my favourite so far

I have seen ?Rear Window? as well now, but I didn't seem to enjoy it as much. I mean the film moved really slowly and then ended so abruptly!! and I swear it never explained why he murdered - or did I miss it? But you are right James Stewart is gorgeous in it

Going to move on to North by Northwest now!! I have high hopes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (73)
23.93%
No (232)
76.07%

Watched Threads