TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by acidboot3r)
Thanks for that, it was reassuring. The only aspect of student finance I'm worried about is the part where my parents has to fill in the form. I just want their co-operation for that at least.
They do not have to fill in anything

Just tick the box that says you do not want their income taking into account
NaomiASuts
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Prove to him that its employable, go on national jobs websites, or find a leaflet or a book on it. If not, ask your English teacher or someone at your school to talk to him and assure him. Most of all prove to him that its something your really want to do, show him all the books you've read or some essays you've written.
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
And I hope that he comes to terms with it quickly because I want a laptop and I don't have any form of income.
Oh

I had not realised that your "it is my life and my choices" was only after they had funded your tech needs
FloydRix
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Its true, English won't lead you anywhere but teaching
Amanbabbar./
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by chelseafan)
You don't exactly help yourself lol....
Aha i know :')
Amanbabbar./
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by FloydRix)
Its true, English won't lead you anywhere but teaching
LOOL thats not true....
If you have an english degree you can go into:

-Teaching
-Media: Journalism, publishing, tv and radio, etc...
-Influencing: advertising, public relations, retail management
-Helping society: social work, youth work, nursing etc...
-Librarianship
-Civil service
-Administration
-Police/armed forced

It doesn't just provide teaching -_-
acidboot3r
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by TenOfThem)
Oh

I had not realised that your "it is my life and my choices" was only after they had funded your tech needs
That made me laugh.

If I really don't need my parents for student finance and I just tick that box you was talking about, won't the money i get be less or something?
acidboot3r
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Mister Cery)
Student finance should be able to cover a laptop and if not you could just get a job at Uni.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm thinking.
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That made me laugh.

If I really don't need my parents for student finance and I just tick that box you was talking about, won't the money i get be less or something?
If you tick the box you will get the minimum loan, the same as if they earn more than £60k between them

But they cannot stop you from getting this
sammyjade92
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is another one of those 'parents are too controlling' kind of threads. The background is that my parents are old fashioned, traditional nigerians so if know the type you'll understand.

Anyways, the story is that my AS level results weren't so great so I'm having to do resits this year as well as my A2 exams. My parents weren't too pleased about that to say the least, and they've been on my back ever since. My dad's been keeping more of an eye on me, especially when it comes to university. Kind of without his permission (like I ever needed one right?) I chose to do English Literature, and I applied to unis all on my own. I've already received offers and right now I'm just thinking about firms and insurance choices. Of course, when my dad found out he kind of went mad. He practically disowned me when he asked me what I wanted to do and I said English. Things got real quiet between me and him for a bit, and I was thankful for that, I thought I was going to have my way but now suddenly he's like 'You better get As in the end. We are going to phone up unis and see if they will accept you because I am not going to let you go to so and so and do this and that.'

He says that the only way he is going to let me do English is if I make it a joint honours, so if i do English and something more respectable, like Maths or whatever. He just thinks that English is going to lead me nowhere and that the only job you can get is teaching, which is wrong.

I worry that when it comes to things like student finance, he won't be co-operative. I just want to leave home when it's the time but it's not like I have everything I need yet. I still don't have a laptop or anything so in uni I'm guessing I'll have to use the library all the time.

Please, whatever you do, DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO!

At 16 I chose the wrong college course and decided to go back for a year or two. My dad was very anti-education and purposely set it so I couldn't afford to go to college (my travel was £15 a week, I had to pay for all my books, food etc. I paid him £120 a month in rent) to the point where I had to drop college. I'm now the manager of a shop, in a town 40 miles away from my dad, and I'm 20. And all I do is regret the fact I can't go to uni because I don't have the grades to do what I want to do. Don't live in regret like me. Do what makes you happy. At the end of the day you're an adult. And when you're at home in a decade or so with your OH and possibly children, do you really want to regret your decisions at college and uni? :/ ... Now I'm having to pay £2000 to go back to college to study what I want to do. it sucks, but if you're passionate about it, then do it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (53)
25.6%
No (154)
74.4%

Watched Threads