Is it possible for women not to tell you that you're not good looking but you are...? Watch

cleverslacker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Id and Ego seek)
Your title contains too many negations for my blood level
He's basically asking:
Is it possible for a person to be handsome, and not be told so very often.
nthepachuco
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Movember)
so why were you making up statistics which you knew were wrong?
I didnt make it up, its something i heard and thought would cheer op up a bit
newts2k
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by cleverslacker)
He's basically asking:
Is it possible for a person to be handsome, and not be told so very often.
better way of putting it, lol
Movember
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nthepachuco)
I didnt make it up, its something i heard and thought would cheer op up a bit
you heard statistics which were made up and were gullible enough to believe them, then post them here trying to pass them off as the truth. that's worse than making up the statistics in the first place.
newts2k
Rep:
?
(Original post by 9MmBulletz)
Damn you must go after girls with big noses!
who is that in your sig photo, she fine, haha
Albino
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I dont get it, what would you like to happen lol? girls coming over to you left right and center telling you how hot you are 24/7..?
newts2k
Rep:
?
(Original post by Albino)
I dont get it, what would you like to happen lol? girls coming over to you left right and center telling you how hot you are 24/7..?
well every guy would like that,lol. No but I mean do good looking men tend to get told quite a lot by girls? Guessing they do
rlw31
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by miser)
looks don't tend to be the deciding factor in deciding whether a woman finds a man attractive, this is because of the other judgements that had to be made in the evolutionary environment to determine whether a given man was a safe bet for raising offspring with. I would estimate that looks only account for 20% of attraction from women's perspective; the rest you can make up for with attractive behaviours and status.
ha ha ha ha ha ha

ha
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rlw31)
ha ha ha ha ha ha

ha
It has been studied. For example, see: http://www.livescience.com/7483-beau...ctive-men.html
rlw31
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by miser)
It has been studied. For example, see: http://www.livescience.com/7483-beau...ctive-men.html
And where in that article does it say or imply that
looks don't tend to be the deciding factor in deciding whether a woman finds a man attractive
?

All it does is say that other factors are important when it comes to looking for husbands. It says the opposite is true for the beginnings or a relationship
showing that absolute beauty is important in the earliest stages of couple-hood
It merely mentions
Physical attractiveness of husbands is not as important to women
So it's not as important to women as it is to men (looking for wives), that doesn't mean it's not important or that it could be applied to women who aren't actively looking for a husbands.

Did you even read it?
miser
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rlw31)
And where in that article does it say or imply that ?

All it does is say that other factors are important when it comes to looking for husbands. It says the opposite is true for the beginnings or a relationship

It merely mentions So it's not as important to women as it is to men (looking for wives), that doesn't mean it's not important or that it could be applied to women who aren't actively looking for a husbands.

Did you even read it?
I thought it would say more than it did. I've gone and got some more information on it.

Looks are certainly not the deciding factor. This was best illustrated I found by one of the data analyses done on OkCupid, which says:
This is where things get interesting. The first surprise that jumps out in this graph is how harsh women are in their assessment of men’s looks. According to women’s perspectives, 80% of men fall on the ugly side of the physical attractiveness spectrum. This is way out of line with a reality where nearly every human trait is distributed normally. Clearly, women have a skewed entitlement complex much larger than men’s in how they judge the attractiveness of the opposite sex.

Yet look around you and you’ll see much more than 20% of men either hooking up or in relationships of varying strength with women. How can this be if women think 80% of men are ugly? Well, it can only be if women don’t put as much emphasis on men’s looks. And the second line in the above graph is evidence that men’s looks simply aren’t as important to women as women’s looks are to men. Women’s message distribution more accurately reflects their ranking of men’s looks than does men’s message distribution reflect their ranking of women’s looks.

That is, women may be saying one thing — men are mostly ugly — but they are doing the opposite — sending messages to lots of ugly men.
Source: http://heartiste.wordpress.com/2011/...t-their-looks/

In terms of academic study, this is from a US university:
Men place greater emphasis on a woman’s physical features. Women place greater emphasis on the resource and status features. We are not dramatically different in what we find attractive, but we do differ in terms of their relative importance.
Source: http://www-student.unl.edu/cis/psyc3...sn16-tp05.html

The second does not corroborate that looks are not the deciding factor, but the relative importance is great enough to show up prominently in the OkCupid article, which is based on an enormous data sampling. (They have a lot of great analyses which are worth reading if you're interested in psychology.)

Looks grab a woman's initial interest, definitely, but they don't keep her - for this, an attractive personality is key.
SyOnGuitar
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by newts2k)
My gosh, that is seriously such a silly question. Why would it be impossible to be "good looking" but not be told frequently so? Why do you care so much? As long as you think you're good looking, then that's fine right?

You aren't what you are just because people say so o_O.
PostgradMatt
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have a big nose too. Take pride in it, its a stand out feature and one that you were given its yours!
newts2k
Rep:
?
(Original post by SyOnGuitar)
My gosh, that is seriously such a silly question. Why would it be impossible to be "good looking" but not be told frequently so? Why do you care so much? As long as you think you're good looking, then that's fine right?

You aren't what you are just because people say so o_O.
I dont think I am good looking tbh but cheers for the response, you're right
newts2k
Rep:
?
(Original post by miser)
Looks don't tend to be the deciding factor in deciding whether a woman finds a man attractive, this is because of the other judgements that had to be made in the evolutionary environment to determine whether a given man was a safe bet for raising offspring with. I would estimate that looks only account for 20% of attraction from women's perspective; the rest you can make up for with attractive behaviours and status.
I think thats rubbish, obv you need a good, deep personality generally to maintain a relationship but your looks will determine whether a women gives you a chance because they can be picky like that
miser
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by newts2k)
I think thats rubbish, obv you need a good, deep personality generally to maintain a relationship but your looks will determine whether a women gives you a chance because they can be picky like that
I don't disagree that looks help, but they're by no means essential. (Essentials would be height, status, behaviour, hygeine, etc.)
EffieFlowers
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I quite like a strong, Greek nose, it's more masculine that a little button nose.

You sound fine :sexface:....except for your confidence.
rlw31
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by miser)
I thought it would say more than it did. I've gone and got some more information on it.

Looks are certainly not the deciding factor. This was best illustrated I found by one of the data analyses done on OkCupid, which says:

Source: http://heartiste.wordpress.com/2011/...t-their-looks/
Did you look at the blog post that the article was based on? That article makes out that people have been asked to rate people purely on looks and that women send messages to guys they've rated as 'ugly'.

Yet those 0-5 ratings are based on the whole profile, it doesn't give any indication as to how women rate the physical appearance of men's profiles or vice versa.

How do we know that they didn't send messages to physically attractive guys whose profiles were given a low rating (or were deemed ugly according to that article) because their interests weren't compatible with most?

Even if the ratings were completely based physical appearance, those results would still be skewed thanks to OKCupid's policy of screening search results, so that those with lower rated profiles can't view the profiles of those consistently rated higher.

http://consumerist.com/2010/06/15/ok...s-ugly-freaks/
Michaelj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rlw31)
x]
Look. Nobody is denying that looks are important. However, if that hot guy was a shy stalker creep with a weird personality then chances are you'll look for someone else. An average guy with confidence and a decent personality would prob have better luck than that weird, good looking guy.

If you deny that confidence in itself is attractive, then I dismiss your posts as you're prob a 15 yr old school girl who has plans on having babies with a druggie job seeker.
rlw31
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Michaelj)
Look. Nobody is denying that looks are important. However, if that hot guy was a shy stalker creep with a weird personality then chances are you'll look for someone else. An average guy with confidence and a decent personality would prob have better luck than that weird, good looking guy.

If you deny that confidence in itself is attractive, then I dismiss your posts as you're prob a 15 yr old school girl who has plans on having babies with a druggie job seeker.
And the hot guy with the decent personality will do better than the average guy with thy decent personality, what's the deciding factor there?

It's just another user harping about what makes a good 'mate' and how much "other judgements that had to be made in the evolutionary environment to determine whether a given man was a safe bet for raising offspring with" as if anybody gives a **** about that stuff nowadays.

I mean, really, a physically attractive guy, oh wait, I'm not sure if he'd be a good bet at raising offspring, I definitely won't be dating him, I'd never want to get in his pants :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (112)
17.75%
It's just nice to be back! (172)
27.26%
Not great so far... (225)
35.66%
I want to drop out! (122)
19.33%

Watched Threads