wardah2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by butterflyy)
I was excited at first but after firming my choice today it's getting a bit crazy. I firmed Loughborough and out Kent as my insurance. You?
I'm still waiting on one more reply, but firming Sussex and Brighton as my insurance, so either way I'll be living in Brighton woo
Ahh I think I'll be like that too, I get really worried about everything ha. This excitement of mine is going to fade away very soon.
What are you looking to study?
reggaeiscool
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Firmed Loughborough and Insured Kent. You?
Ah wicked, I'm planning to get into Kent
Charlottie93
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think everyone is going to feel exactly the same, I'm starting uni in September and I'm nervous! I think it's a totally acceptable reaction.

Most uni's create a freshers page so you can meet and talk to new people before you get there, I know Canterbury does that and my friend met all of her future flatmates before she started and they all get on like a house on fire! Alternatively talk to the people on TSR and that way you'll be able to know a few people even if they're not on the same course.
butterflyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Costalo)
I've been a fresher twice now, at two different Universities. I'm a very shy person and I had no trouble whatsoever making friends at both Universities. If you're going to be living at the Uni, it's even easier. Flatmates are instant friends. Even if you don't fit in with those you live with, you'll make friends with students on your course and by joining societies. I had so many friends when I lived at Uni I had to turn some down to go out with others. As the year progesses you'll find the friends that you click with best and you'll have a nice friendship circle. So don't be sad if you don't fit in within the first week, it just takes time.
What 2 unis were those if you don't mind me asking?
Wow that sounds really cool. I'm hoping I will have a similar experience. As long as I get a good group of mates while at uni I'll feel relaxed and enjoy the whole experience
OneDayDoctor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Glad you liked it! What uni are you in?
I'm gonna move out too and live in halls so I think that's what making me nervous because you do hear some crazy things that happens in uni halls.
I'm at Bradford

Most of the time, nothing is happening in halls! There are a few parties now and then, and the odd random object appears but most of the time it's ok Plus, all door lock so you can escape :P

I think at the crazy stuff happening sometimes get a bit over-hyped! Especially at the weekend, get up before 3 and you won't see anyone!

The only weird event of the year so far was the lift collapsing randomly!
butterflyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlottie93)
I think everyone is going to feel exactly the same, I'm starting uni in September and I'm nervous! I think it's a totally acceptable reaction.

Most uni's create a freshers page so you can meet and talk to new people before you get there, I know Canterbury does that and my friend met all of her future flatmates before she started and they all get on like a house on fire! Alternatively talk to the people on TSR and that way you'll be able to know a few people even if they're not on the same course.
What uni are you planning to go to?
Yeah if pages are created and we get a chance to meet and talk to people before we go I'm sure I'll feel more relaxed about it then.
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am currently in my first year and trust me, you have nothing to worry about. the important thing is that you make an effort; as long as you are outgoing and friendly you will find people you get on with. actually, that is making it sound harder than it is; as long as you are not a complete recluse you will manage to make friends.

(Original post by LeBuche)
I'm the same, mainly because i'm living at home I'm worried it's going to be really hard to fit in.
I am living at home as well, and while it does make it harder it is not the end of the world. you just have to make especially hard an effort to get involved. in freshers week I only slept at home twice, I managed to crash at peoples flats who I had gotten talking to. it was much easier than I thought it would be. I am currently an adopted member of a couple of flats, I leave a sleeping bag up there as I crash there so often
Costalo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What 2 unis were those if you don't mind me asking?
Wow that sounds really cool. I'm hoping I will have a similar experience. As long as I get a good group of mates while at uni I'll feel relaxed and enjoy the whole experience
The first Uni I went to was Kent Uni in which I lived in halls and thats where I met most of my friends. I met others from my course and others in other halls above and below my floor. I met friends of friends in halls too who I became close with. I'm now at Birmingham City Uni and lived at home first year. I had to make an effort to make friends via my course and by joining socities etc. I've made a nice group of friends there too. I'm sure you'll find a good circle of friends and have a great time
LeBuche
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Charlottie93)

Think that's the way to try and get involved if you're living at home, I keep telling myself that this is the age of the internet and it'll be easy to meet new people but I always have the nagging thought of 'you aren't in halls you won't fit in'. Sounds silly reading it back but it's true.
LeBuche
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lucaf)
I am currently in my first year and trust me, you have nothing to worry about. the important thing is that you make an effort; as long as you are outgoing and friendly you will find people you get on with. actually, that is making it sound harder than it is; as long as you are not a complete recluse you will manage to make friends.

I am living at home as well, and while it does make it harder it is not the end of the world. you just have to make especially hard an effort to get involved. in freshers week I only slept at home twice, I managed to crash at peoples flats who I had gotten talking to. it was much easier than I thought it would be. I am currently an adopted member of a couple of flats, I leave a sleeping bag up there as I crash there so often
I'm good with new people so hopefully i'll be alright, like you say if I put in the effort I should be ok.
butterflyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by lucaf)

I would say I'm friendly and I do make an effort to talk to everyone even in school currently. I'm hoping everything will go well
lucaf
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Think that's the way to try and get involved if you're living at home, I keep telling myself that this is the age of the internet and it'll be easy to meet new people but I always have the nagging thought of 'you aren't in halls you won't fit in'. Sounds silly eading it back but it's true.
thats exactly what I did. got myself invited to a flat party the week before freshers through the facebook group to make sure I knew a few people when freshers started. people don't seem to have a problem with me not living in halls, and in freshers week in particular it is easy to strike up conversation with anybody because everybody is in the same boat

I'm good with new people so hopefully i'll be alright, like you say if I put in the effort I should be ok.
yeah you should be fine. how long a commute is it to your uni? because it is important to make sure you go to as many social events at uni as possible, people have a tendency to forget you exist if they don't see you for a few days because you have been at home
butterflyy
Rep:
?
Think that's the way to try and get involved if you're living at home, I keep telling myself that this is the age of the internet and it'll be easy to meet new people but I always have the nagging thought of 'you aren't in halls you won't fit in'. Sounds silly eading it back but it's true.
i'm going to be living in halls so i'm hoping the people with me are friendly. yep just gonna wait till the summer and look out for uni pages
butterflyy
Rep:
?
Reading everyones comments has made me feel slightly better now
LeBuche
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lucaf)
thats exactly what I did. got myself invited to a flat party the week before freshers through the facebook group to make sure I knew a few people when freshers started. people don't seem to have a problem with me not living in halls, and in freshers week in particular it is easy to strike up conversation with anybody because everybody is in the same boat

yeah you should be fine. how long a commute is it to your uni? because it is important to make sure you go to as many social events at uni as possible, people have a tendency to forget you exist if they don't see you for a few days because you have been at home
I'm within easy reach (20 minute bus ride) of both my choices and have relatives living near Northumbria. It shouldn't be too bad just need to make a bit more of an effort.
LeBuche
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i'm going to be living in halls so i'm hoping the people with me are friendly. yep just gonna wait till the summer and look out for uni pages
Which uni are you going too? My cousin is like best friends with two people she met on Facebook before she went so it's a good plan. Even if you don't end up being 'best friends' at least you know someone and can get yourself out there.
butterflyy
Rep:
?
Which uni are you going too? My cousin is like best friends with two people she met on Facebook before she went so it's a good plan. Even if you don't end up being 'best friends' at least you know someone and can get yourself out there.
I put down Loughborough as my firm choice so hoping to go there. you?
LeeForShort
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've got another year to go. But I don't feel as if there is a need to be nervous or scared in any way. From I've read from previous threads is that it's an opportunity your never going to forget. Imagine that your not the only one that is going to be nervous there are other people put there that are feeling the way that you do.
Gallifreyan95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Truth be told, I am worried.
I still have very few 'friends' among the people I have been going to school with for 6 nearly 7 years!

But, with any luck, I'll find some like-minded people at either Lincoln, Glamorgan, Northumbria, (if i get the grades) or Chester, Keele (if they give me an offer).
LeBuche
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I put down Loughborough as my firm choice so hoping to go there. you?
Northumbria or Sunderland. Can't decide haha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (16)
7.02%
They might tell the bully (24)
10.53%
I don't think they'd understand (39)
17.11%
It might lead to more bullying (80)
35.09%
There's nothing they could do (69)
30.26%

Watched Threads