B524 - Labour Reform Bill 2013 (Second Reading) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mechie)
I've just noticed your sig saying that you go to Stirling... we should totally have an MHoC meet :awesome:

What do you mean "these people"? Could you sound anymore snobbish? These people are you, these people are me, these people are the vast majority of people!
Unions. Maybe so. No, only about 20% of the labour force partakes in union membership (granted it used to be much higher).

As i said in another post, i'm all for them recommending ideas to government like any other group and collective bargaining is not a bad thing however allowing people to strike without reproach means that vile beings like Scargill and Crow can rape the taxpayer and cause big problems.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Given that current union laws seem adequate, and considering the fact that union membership is falling, I'm not sure there's any massive need to introduce this or much public support in favour of this legislation.
Matthew_Lowson
Badges: 17
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JPKC)
1. (2) limits the amount of temporary workers a firm is able to employ; hiring temps has become far more widespread in the UK in recent years. It's a sort of loophole that allows businesses to operate with a fragmented workforce, offering jobs with substandard conditions and fewer rights.
Thanks for that, that makes sense

Not sure if I agree with lifting all restrictions on trade unions though? I agree with the principle entirely but if you're going to have a union then it should conform to certain standards and rules, just as unions request for their workers.
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Unions. Maybe so. No, only about 20% of the labour force partakes in union membership (granted it used to be much higher).

As i said in another post, i'm all for them recommending ideas to government like any other group and collective bargaining is not a bad thing however allowing people to strike without reproach means that vile beings like Scargill and Crow can rape the taxpayer and cause big problems.
There are thousands of words in the English language and yet you felt 'rape' appropriate there? Using the word so frivolously somewhat trivialises the very serious meaning behind it, let alone being quite insensitive to the victims.

And have you ever thought to ask why union membership's declining? It doesn't take a Vulcan to work out the trend began with the introduction of Thatcher's viciously anti-worker labour laws - statutory regulation that made it practically impossible for unions to effectively organise in the private sector (leading to the real-terms decline, since the 1980s, of income for those in low-paid work).

(Original post by Birchington)
Given that current union laws seem adequate, and considering the fact that union membership is falling, I'm not sure there's any massive need to introduce this or much public support in favour of this legislation.
As above. And I remember you wanting to ban trade unions at some point last term; is that the official TSR Lib Dem line now that you're leader?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Morgsie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh christ, if this Bill passes the nwere back to the 1970s where the Unions will hold the country to ransom
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Morgsie)
Oh christ, if this Bill passes the nwere back to the 1970s where the Unions will hold the country to ransom
Just think of the cost of travelling by train after this Morgsie.
Morgsie
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Just think of the cost of travelling by train after this Morgsie.
:rofl:

It will ground the network to a halt by giving that man loads of power.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JPKC)
There are thousands of words in the English language and yet you felt 'rape' appropriate there? Using the word so frivolously somewhat trivialises the very serious meaning behind it, let alone being quite insensitive to the victims.

And have you ever thought to ask why union membership's declining? It doesn't take a Vulcan to work out the trend began with the introduction of Thatcher's viciously anti-worker labour laws - statutory regulation that made it practically impossible for unions to effectively organise in the private sector (leading to the real-terms decline, since the 1980s, of income for those in low-paid work).

As above. And I remember you wanting to ban trade unions at some point last term; is that the official TSR Lib Dem line now that you're leader?

Posted from TSR Mobile
As a metaphor it is entirely appropriate given that the public sector is much more heavily unionized.

Good. Now lets move on from the past, this won't enable a trade surplus or any other thing we lost in the 1980's so lets move on.

If you are referring to his support of my bill that did not seek to destroy unions, it simply restricted membership, donations to the Labour Party via unions and stopped striking.
Matthew_Lowson
Report 6 years ago
:rofl:

It will ground the network to a halt by giving that man loads of power.
Fat_Controller_TTTE_1.jpg

What about if they put this man in charge
Morgsie
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Matthew_Lowson)

What role though because The Railways are completely different than the ones on Sodor? I was thinking a Manager like Sir Richard Branson.

I was referring to Bob Crow
Matthew_Lowson
Report 6 years ago
What role though because The Railways are completely different than the ones on Sodor? I was thinking a Manager like Sir Richard Branson.

I was referring to Bob Crow
But if he can manage to run a railway for god knows how long surely he could manage a railway on the mainland
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
RoryS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Matthew_Lowson)

:laugh:
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
This is in cessation.
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
This has gone to a Third Reading.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads