The Student Room Group

Who Pays For Dinner On A Date?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Rooster523
So you'd also be prepared to do all his cooking, cleaning and ironing? Or do you just pick and choose the bits of being 'old fashioned' that suit you?

Totally agreed.
I can't answer the vote because I don't really agree with any of the answers as just one 'rule'.

I never expect the guy to pay for me on a first date. I will always offer to pay my way. I don't understand girls who expect to be paid for. Most of the time, guys seem to pay fully anyway, and not let the girl pay (or it has been in my situation). It's nice, but I definitely wouldn't be put out if he asked me to pay my share!

With my boyfriend and I, sometimes he'll pay fully, and I'll pay the next time. Or if we go for a meal/cinema, one person will pay for each thing. I'll admit, he pays for me more than I pay for him, but he's working full time and I'm a student. I never expect it of him - he's the one that offers.
I prefer to pay my way or go halves but if I asked a guy out for a meal, I'd be prepared to pay for his too. If he doesn't want me to pay for him then I won't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by CodeJack
I'm a guy and I like to pay, I don't really like people spending money on me, kinda makes me feel guilty.

Pay for yourself or pay for the whole thing? Because its paying for the whole thing by your logic should surely make him/her feel guilty??
Reply 24
Original post by Michaelj
Good luck finding a date then. It should be out of generosity from the guy, not a compulsory thing.

I have a date thanks! :tongue:
Original post by Heizenburg
Women: fighting for equality except when it comes to paying for dinner.

Because as we can see, all of the women on this thread are feminists and all of them want to be paid for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
If I invite, then I pay. If I am invited, then I offer.
Can I ask, do all the women on this thread want roses to go with their date or something?! :eek:
Reply 28
Original post by LISSEY
I have a date thanks! :tongue:

And I bet you're gonna choose a 3 course meal for £50 and he's gonna have a small meal for like a tenner...

So that other guy brought up a good point. You said you're old fashioned. So you're willing to do all the cleaning, ironing and cooking? Or are you only old fashioned when the need suits you?
Reply 29
Original post by Sheldor
Because as we can see, all of the women on this thread are feminists and all of them want to be paid for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely it should be the other way round? You don't want any of the negativities of the old society but you'll happily keep the positive ones.
Reply 30
Original post by Scienceisgood
Hey Guys;

Well, I know this may sound odd, but you know how now it is all about equality and stuff, I want to get your views on dates and who pays for the dinner/meal. =P

Do you pay for your share, split it 50/50 or does the guy pay for it all?

It is easiest and fairest for each person to pay for the items that they consume, surely?
Reply 31
Original post by Michaelj
And I bet you're gonna choose a 3 course meal for £50 and he's gonna have a small meal for like a tenner...

So that other guy brought up a good point. You said you're old fashioned. So you're willing to do all the cleaning, ironing and cooking? Or are you only old fashioned when the need suits you?

I pay my way when I'm in a relationship but on a first date I think it's nice for the guy to pay. Yes, I'm great at cooking, cleaning & ironing. :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by ssxx
That is sexist, you know women would not ask a man for dinner and will wait for him.

It's not sexist in the slightest lol. Personally, I initiate conversation about dates a lot of the time, therefore take full responsibility for the bill unless a split is suggested. I'm a female.

If you were right and all women waited for the man to ask them on the date, then the man has every right to not ask them on one.
In all honesty, I didn't think it would be this evenly spread...
I'd offer to pay full price by myself but if she refuses I won't insist. Many girls think that it shows their weakness, and it makes sense. But oh well, I will never get a date.

Edit: full for gull lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Quilt
It's not sexist in the slightest lol. Personally, I initiate conversation about dates a lot of the time, therefore take full responsibility for the bill unless a split is suggested. I'm a female.

If you were right and all women waited for the man to ask them on the date, then the man has every right to not ask them on one.

You are taking advantage of the fact men are biologically prone to make the first move and women are not. You are sexist!
I'd want to pay. It's a power thing...
Reply 37
Original post by JerzyDudek
I'd offer to pay gull price

They're notoriously stingy.

Spoiler

Reply 38
Original post by ssxx
You are taking advantage of the fact men are biologically prone to make the first move and women are not. You are sexist!

No, I'm not lol. If I wanted to go out to dinner, I'd offer to take him out to dinner. If he wanted to go out to dinner, he'd offer to go out to dinner. It's not biology it's hunger.
I'd want to go fifty/fifty, as flattering as it is for a guy to want to pay I'd feel bad.... so I'd pay for his taxi fare, or for our next date or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending