The Student Room Group

Reapplying for UCL

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Катя
Only just saw this, so ignore my reply above.

That's seriously very impressive! Congratulations, and I wish you the best of luck :smile:

Thank you very much, I'll add just a little bit more, this year turned out better for me as I have also received an unconditional from Imperial College London, so I will probably be firming that instead. But I'm really glad that I got my UCL offer this year too, it was an quite the achievement for me considering what happened last year :smile:
Lol i got rejected by ucl and accepted by qmul too (for psychology).

Queen mary is still an amazing university. Who needs ucl anyway? Pssshttttt
Reply 22
Original post by Coral Reafs
If I firm Queen Marys and I end up getting A*A*A*a on august 15th, obviously the uni's someone has firmed will know results in the morning before the students, and may accept/decline according to results.

If I do get those grades, they would accept me, but then how would I drop out(or cancel) the Queen Mary choice if I wanted to re-apply to UCl etc.??

btw, UCL and Imperial do not have clearing/adjustment (mainly because almost everyone who holds an offer meets it, and they oversubscribe due to some people having them as insurance or a small percentage failing to meet the very high necessities of Imperial and in some cases the AAA for UCL).

Very best of luck OP, but to get the grades you really want to get, and get yourself into UCL, you literally need to work your arse off. Absolutely annihilate past papers. Make sure you get 100% in all past papers, especially in Maths papers, because Maths is very systematic. Read through the syllabus for the sciences, and also use different books other than the normal textbooks you use for Maths A-Level. I'm currently using "Core Maths for Advanced Level by L. Bostock" to help me try and get the A*.

I'm saying this out of experience. I got BCC in my AS Levels. Had an Open Day interview at UCL for Chemistry, but I was unsuccessful like you. So I worked my arse off last year and I achieved AABa in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and AS Further Maths.

I'm currently re-taking my Maths, Biology A-Levels as well as taking Further Maths A-Level to get A* for Maths and Further Maths and hopefully get the A for Biology. I re-applied to top universities this year to 4 mathematics schools and one Natural Sciences, and I got 4/5 offers from my universities. I'm currently an offer holder from UCL for Natural Sciences :biggrin: I need to get A*A in any of Maths, FM or Biology.

If your heart is set on getting into UCL, then bloody work your arse off. Honestly, I need to say that to myself because I'm nowhere near as hard-working as I was last year.
Reply 23
Abit late, but I re-applied with my grades, and am holding Unconditionals from UCL (got the offer last november :biggrin: )

Thanks alot to the both of you, the encouragements really helped me get back on my feet :smile:

OMG this was a year ago! Only just saw this aswell! Congrats on your offers!!! What subject will you be doing? And what grades did you achieve by the end of the year?

Ignore my last post haha
Reply 24
Original post by AnharM
Very best of luck OP, but to get the grades you really want to get, and get yourself into UCL, you literally need to work your arse off. Absolutely annihilate past papers. Make sure you get 100% in all past papers, especially in Maths papers, because Maths is very systematic. Read through the syllabus for the sciences, and also use different books other than the normal textbooks you use for Maths A-Level. I'm currently using "Core Maths for Advanced Level by L. Bostock" to help me try and get the A*.

I'm saying this out of experience. I got BCC in my AS Levels. Had an Open Day interview at UCL for Chemistry, but I was unsuccessful like you. So I worked my arse off last year and I achieved AABa in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and AS Further Maths.

I'm currently re-taking my Maths, Biology A-Levels as well as taking Further Maths A-Level to get A* for Maths and Further Maths and hopefully get the A for Biology. I re-applied to top universities this year to 4 mathematics schools and one Natural Sciences, and I got 4/5 offers from my universities. I'm currently an offer holder from UCL for Natural Sciences :biggrin: I need to get A*A in any of Maths, FM or Biology.

If your heart is set on getting into UCL, then bloody work your arse off. Honestly, I need to say that to myself because I'm nowhere near as hard-working as I was last year.

Original post by AnharM
OMG this was a year ago! Only just saw this aswell! Congrats on your offers!!! What subject will you be doing? And what grades did you achieve by the end of the year?

Ignore my last post haha

haha Thanks bud. I got rejected on end on march. Was quite pissed off, i didn't revise until end of April, cos I thought that was it, and I had unconditional from QM.

But I got my A*s and As in the end, and I got in. For maths (edexcel), you don't need to use different books to get an A*. All I did, was do the examples in the book my school gave me, and then did the normal past papers.

I'm holding offers from Imperial College London too, which I think I will firm, as it will be better for me in the long run. But getting that UCL offer last november felt good as hell, as I felt like I've achieved something.

I am doing Chemistry at university.
Reply 25
Original post by Secretnerd123

I know right, I'm going to Imperial now I think :P

Well done to you though!! :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by Coffeetime
I just read your story. Haha. Congrats on the offer. It makes me, a mature and international student feel that there's hope. Although I'm not applying to UCL..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad I was able to give you a bit of hope and encouragement :smile:

Where are you applying to? and for what subject?

I guess I just missed the borderline age for mature applicants. Although I will be 21 during my first year, but when I start in October I will still be 20 :tongue:

Isn't 21+ considered as mature? Are you near enough that age?
I know right, I'm going to Imperial now I think :P

Well done to you though!! :biggrin:

Thank you and likewise :smile:
Reply 28
haha Thanks bud. I got rejected on end on march. Was quite pissed off, i didn't revise until end of April, cos I thought that was it, and I had unconditional from QM.

But I got my A*s and As in the end, and I got in. For maths (edexcel), you don't need to use different books to get an A*. All I did, was do the examples in the book my school gave me, and then did the normal past papers.

I'm holding offers from Imperial College London too, which I think I will firm, as it will be better for me in the long run. But getting that UCL offer last november felt good as hell, as I felt like I've achieved something.

I am doing Chemistry at university.

BOO! IMPERIAL BOO! LOOOL

So what actual grades did you achieve by the end of the year? A*AAa? Or A*A*A*a? Seriously, I'm very stunned how you got your A-Levels up from BCC to A*'s and A's.

I guess some people get the A*'s by just using the textbook, but to obviously make sure you're not missing a single question you don't know, I think people should use different books to help them.

What UMS did you get for each of your maths modules?
Reply 29
Original post by AnharM
BOO! IMPERIAL BOO! LOOOL

So what actual grades did you achieve by the end of the year? A*AAa? Or A*A*A*a? Seriously, I'm very stunned how you got your A-Levels up from BCC to A*'s and A's.

I guess some people get the A*'s by just using the textbook, but to obviously make sure you're not missing a single question you don't know, I think people should use different books to help them.

What UMS did you get for each of your maths modules?

i got 100s in c3 c4 fp1 m1 m2 s2. i got higih 80s for c1 c2, and 60 in s1.

I got over 90s in all my A2 modules.

Well you read the first post, I had extenuating circumstances. OTher than that I don't find exams very difficult - when I am emotionally stable ofcourse :biggrin:

da*** is wrong with imperial??!?

where you holding your other offers from? and which one have u got left?

EDIT: so overall I ended up getting - A*AAabc - took 6AS levels, and 3 A2s.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm glad I was able to give you a bit of hope and encouragement :smile:

Where are you applying to? and for what subject?

I guess I just missed the borderline age for mature applicants. Although I will be 21 during my first year, but when I start in October I will still be 20 :tongue:

Isn't 21+ considered as mature? Are you near enough that age?

I'm applying to Edinburgh, Exeter, Bristol, Cardiff and Reading for Italian. :biggrin: I'm going to be 27 this month, so by the time I get over there I'll be 28! I'm so old!
Reply 31
I'm applying to Edinburgh, Exeter, Bristol, Cardiff and Reading for Italian. :biggrin: I'm going to be 27 this month, so by the time I get over there I'll be 28! I'm so old!

WHOOOO for ur birthday!!!! :party:

all are top and fantastic unis :smile:

haha naw ur still young, atleast your not 30 :biggrin:
WHOOOO for ur birthday!!!! :party:

all are top and fantastic unis :smile:

haha naw ur still young, atleast your not 30 :biggrin:

Haha. Thanks for the encouragement!
Reply 33

S'all Good :cool:

I thought you were obsessed with UCL.
Original post by x__justmyluck

I was. I'm not going to deny that but qmul was my backup and I've always really liked it so after they rejected me, I surprisingly wasn't that sad :smile: x
Reply 36

haha that was jokes :biggrin: !!
x

Gummibaerchen
xxx

Original post by AnharM
Imperial ROCKS! XDD

Hey guys, long time no speak, is everyone where they wanted to end up and at university now?
How are you all doing?

Imperial is fantastic for me :wink:

would love to hear from you all, seeing as you all came through for me :biggrin:
Hey guys, long time no speak, is everyone where they wanted to end up and at university now?
How are you all doing?

would love to hear from you all, seeing as you all came through for me :biggrin:

Hi there!

I'm waiting on four unis to get back to me. My top turned me down. :ashamed: Fingers crossed one of the others comes through. And I changed my course plan, haha.
How are you all doing?

heyy im at qmul now. you? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest