Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have an S3, and keep it in a wallet-style case. Can't text one handed, and my hands are pretty massive. The upside is, if it falls out of my pocket I instantly notice, because it's so bulky, as opposed to my iPod which is in constant danger of being left on a bus or in a classroom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    I buy my phones from AliExpress.

It's a bit like ebay/amazon without the bidding and with multiple sellers. Phone ships from China but they mark it as a gift so little to no import tax
    Clever! I used DHGate. I think I should have looked into this a little more before my purchase.. Oh well haha

I got my phone back in September now and it's worked fine till now. Especially since at the time i'd have had to have paid around £300 more in the UK for a similar spec phone.
    What happened to your phone pre-September..? And what's happened now? Btw what do you do if your phone stops working (like is there anyone to call up or send it to for fixing!) ?

ReputationRep:
    I read a forum once in which the users were complaining because they felt there was a large gap in the market for a top spec device with a smaller design (sub 4 inches etc). Alas, the iPhone is one of the only phones that seems to fit that description. Although the anti-iPhone crew would have a field day explaining why the iPhone (iPhone 5 in particular) is far from top spec compared to other flagship devices from other operating systems.

To answer your question OP, as has been said, it's just the way the market is headed. Bigger = better.
    And that's the truth, the bigger the phone, the higher the spec will be.

If I were to use my imagination, I'd say that the only way phones will start to get smaller is if they get rid of a screen altogether and start using holographic images. Hmm...

(Original post by Indeterminate)
    Unfortunately, people are living in the state of delusion that an S3 (or an S4 soon) is just as good as the (obvious) competing handset, and that they got a bargain.

I'm an iPhone 5 owner, yes, but I'd always want a mobile phone that is mobile.
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrampie)
    Clever! I used DHGate. I think I should have looked into this a little more before my purchase.. Oh well haha

What happened to your phone pre-September..? And what's happened now? Btw what do you do if your phone stops working (like is there anyone to call up or send it to for fixing!) ?
    Oh nothing haha. What i meant was that i purchased my phone in September and have had it work fine since then. It's still working fine now.

Well because you purchased it from China the warranty is in China so if anything goes wrong you have to send it back to them which isn't the best thing in the world. Although if it's a small issue it's nothing that can't be fixed by a local phone store here.

ReputationRep:
    i miss the good old days where we had snake on our phones and could actually text to the extent that a finger slip wouldnt kill us
    nowadays everything is touch screen, except for bbs (trololol they suck) and im not overly a fan

ReputationRep:
    I want a phone on which I can watch movies, play games, and do homework...that's why they're big I guess...the markets targeting me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh nothing haha. What i meant was that i purchased my phone in September and have had it work fine since then. It's still working fine now.

Well because you purchased it from China the warranty is in China so if anything goes wrong you have to send it back to them which isn't the best thing in the world. Although if it's a small issue it's nothing that can't be fixed by a local phone store here.
    Oh okay! Haha excellent!

Ah I see that's interesting. Thanks for all your advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilmissshady)
    I want a phone on which I can watch movies, play games, and do homework...that's why they're big I guess...the markets targeting me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you not use computers then..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    I've noticed that! Some of the phones I saw the Asians using were more like tablets than phones how on earth do they put them in their pockets?!
    "The Asians"? You make it sound like Asia consists of four people wandering around near your house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrampie)
    Do you not use computers then..?
    I can't fit it in my pocket and its not a phone either that's why...iPhone does the job but I'm planning on getting a note now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    "The Asians"? You make it sound like Asia consists of four people wandering around near your house.
    Well done for making my day (or should I say night???) :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Well while the graphics (have I even used the right word? Only one that came to my head!) are getting better, it makes sense to maximise the use of as big a screen as possible without becoming difficult as a handset. Years ago there was nothing to see so space efficiency was more worthwhile.

I have the htc one x and it's not too big (I have little hands fwiw) but I wouldn't want anything too much bigger. eg, I found the samsung note (??) too big... although is that a tablet? :dontknow: I just play with phones until I find one that I like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Oh please. What was said and what you 'inferred' are two very different thing and just because the great m1011 took it as a racial slur doesnt make it so.

ReputationRep:
    They're not just getting bigger, which makes it harder to carry in one's pocket, but because of the super sensitive screens and how light and slim they are, you have to take extra good care with them. About five years ago, you could throw one in your purse or pocket with your keys and other stuff and the thing had 7 lives... it could fall and would survive.

I'm not complaining, I have one and use it quite a lot, but..

ReputationRep:
    Oh please. What was said and what you 'inferred' are two very different thing and just because the great m1011 took it as a racial slur doesnt make it so.
    There you go getting yourself confused again. What was said, is in fact exactly what was said. As quoted, you said "some of the phones I saw the Asians using", that is not up for debate.

For what it's worth I don't think it was a racial slur, just a lack of competence with the English language.

Oh and great? Thanks :loony:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    There you go getting yourself confused again. What was said, is in fact exactly what was said. As quoted, you said "some of the phones I saw the Asians using", that is not up for debate.

For what it's worth I don't think it was a racial slur, just a lack of competence with the English language.

Oh and great? Thanks :loony:
    What are you talking about, what was said was never debated your ability to read and understand was.
    The English stands, there is nothing wrong with it ?
    What are you thanking me for?

ReputationRep:
    I miss flip-phones. The Motorola Razr V3 was brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if phone-size is a cycle and soon they'll start getting smaller again

ReputationRep:
    1) What are you talking about, what was said was never debated your ability to read and understand was.
    2) The English stands, there is nothing wrong with it ?
    3) What are you thanking me for?
    Sigh.. this really didn't need to turn in to a debate, but you make it so easy?

1) I read and understood perfectly what you said. What you may have meant to say is another matter, it's not for me to guess your mind. What you wrote is what I commented on.

2) If you can't understand the error in "some of the phones I saw the Asians using", then you need to return to primary school and restart your English Language education. 'Some Asians' or 'an Asian' or 'a group of Asians' are all valid options in this sentence, but 'the Asians' is not in this context.

3) I tried to make it really easy for you. I really did. See how I said "Oh and great? Thanks", well that was actually a clue that I was thanking you for calling me 'great' in your previous comment. It wasn't really a subtle clue, given that I said exactly what I was thanking you for, but I can see how you got confused. OK I lied, I can't see it.

*Braces self for the 'can't see what?' question...*

ReputationRep:
    Google "Huawei Ascend Mate"
    TY for crushing my hopes and dreams :musicus:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.