Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, she's been through a lot, cut her some slack. At 19 you should be helping and supporting her if you're still at home, not finding reasons to cut her down further.

(Original post by pikaboo)
    Jesus, she's been through a lot, cut her some slack. At 19 you should be helping and supporting her if you're still at home, not finding reasons to cut her down further.
    Thanks for your reply.

I am That is why I am on here.
    She has been through a lot, yes. I totally understand and I always do my bit around the house without question.

Equally her and my Father have been playing a game of tug-of-war. She will talk badly about him and he does exactly the same. It has been a "how can you not see he is lying" game for 19 years now. So it isn't as if I haven't gone through anything.

Thanks for your input all the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for your reply.

I am That is why I am on here.
    She has been through a lot, yes. I totally understand and I always do my bit around the house without question.

Equally her and my Father have been playing a game of tug-of-war. She will talk badly about him and he does exactly the same. It has been a "how can you not see he is lying" game for 19 years now. So it isn't as if I haven't gone through anything.

Thanks for your input all the same.
    I've gone through the same. You'll just have to suck it up as a life experience until she gets over it. Yes, it will take years, but hopefully it will bring you closer together eventually. Now we're both independent (well, I've moved away but still help her out from time to time) and love each other all the more for it.

I've gone through the same. You'll just have to suck it up as a life experience until she gets over it. Yes, it will take years, but hopefully it will bring you closer together eventually. Now we're both independent (well, I've moved away but still help her out from time to time) and love each other all the more for it.

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    It's never as bad as you think, OP your Mum clearly loves you or she wouldn't keep you in the house, plus it sounds like she's trying to re-connect with you. She probably misses her little girl. Try to have fun with her when you can.

It's never as bad as you think, OP your Mum clearly loves you or she wouldn't keep you in the house, plus it sounds like she's trying to re-connect with you. She probably misses her little girl. Try to have fun with her when you can.

I've tried to ask if we can go places, but she will say she is busy or the weather is bad but I can keep trying I guess.

ReputationRep:
    She sounds depressed and lonely. Maybe try surprising her with something she likes doing to cheer her up a bit? I think you should probably bring someone to talk to her a bit about how she's feeling or maybe you should explain to her how you feel and ask her why she's changed so much.
    Then again, it could just be the menopausal thing. Either way, good luck

(Original post by Rosaknows)
    She sounds depressed and lonely. Maybe try surprising her with something she likes doing to cheer her up a bit? I think you should probably bring someone to talk to her a bit about how she's feeling or maybe you should explain to her how you feel and ask her why she's changed so much.
    Then again, it could just be the menopausal thing. Either way, good luck
    Thank you. That sounds like a good idea I know how she is and I think it's best I leave her to do it in her own time. I've mentioned it before politely and she took offence because she is "fine and has no problems"

Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    Just sit down and talk to her, explain the situation and how you feel. Tell it how it is, maybe she might listen. Just my opinion

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. That sounds like a good idea I know how she is and I think it's best I leave her to do it in her own time. I've mentioned it before politely and she took offence because she is "fine and has no problems"

Thanks a lot
    Any time, I hope your mum gets around to solving the problem.

(Original post by Season One)
    Just sit down and talk to her, explain the situation and how you feel. Tell it how it is, maybe she might listen. Just my opinion
    I may have to do that one day, but it'll have to be in the near future and closer to when I move out, just in case

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your input. But take it easy, she is still my Mum :rolleyes:
    You asked for input and I gave my 2 pence. I don't think she's off her rocker she just sounds depressed. I know, I suffer on and off with depression.

(Original post by sabian92)
    You asked for input and I gave my 2 pence. I don't think she's off her rocker she just sounds depressed. I know, I suffer on and off with depression.
    Yeah I get that I was talking about the "To be honest she just sounds like a miserable cow" bit.

Could have been worded a lot better than that. So you should understand why I said what I did.

Thank you anyway.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.