Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feeling like a failure as i'm not going to a Russell group university. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annuhlees)
    I feel embarrassed when I tell people that i'm going to Portsmouth in September. I know it's a good university and at the end of the day it is an university so I should feel proud but I really really don't.

I've always been an average student- I got normal year 6 SATs, middle set in school and C's at GCSE. I went to a rough secondary where being 'clever' was seen as a bad thing. I was surrounded by people who set fire to exercise books and where getting kicked out of lessons was a good thing. I never revised for my GCSEs; I attempted to revise for the lessons I enjoyed but I didn't know about the different exam boards and modules so I revised the wrong things. The first time I read the poems for my English exam was in the exam. I ended up getting an A in short course RE (the only reason I got that was because I was get out of lessons and only had a RE revision guide for the day), 7 C's and 4 D's including Maths, additional science, Geography and English Lit. I was really proud of myself as I got my 5 A-C's where as most of my friends got E's- I was the only person to get a C at GCSE science in my class and I was 3rd set out of 6!

I ended up going to my local regional college to study Btec media production. I hated it, my course was full of dumb asses with mental problems or stoners (not all of them, but most!). I decided that it wasn't for me as I thought I could do better. I missed science, I wanted to be changed so I resat my GCSEs in Math, Science and additional science. I came out with an B in science, and C's in the other two. It wasn't brilliant as I wasn't able to study sciences at 6th form but it wasn't bad as I just resat and attempted to home educate myself.

Now, at 6th form i've realised that the reason I done badly before was because of the type of people I surrounded myself with. So I decided to hang out with clever/middle class kids at school. I go to the school orchestra and most of my friends outside of school either are at russell groups or they're going to a russell group.

I wasn't able to do academic a-levels due to my poor GCSE's even tho my mum explained to my head of 6th form that I had a lot of time off due to my fathers death in year 10 and the bad school. I was allowed to do Music, Geography, Psychology and Media.

I was already disadvantaged at A-level music as I didn't take GCSE music as my old school didn't offer it as I was the only student who played an instrument (excluding the odd kid who can play a 4 chord song on guitar). Psychology I got a D at AS (I hate psychology so much as I disagree with the majority of it!) I achieved a B in media and I got the highest in the class in coursework and exam. Then I come to Geography, my new passion in life, I got a D at GCSE and just missed out on a B by a couple of marks in As. I was the only student in As to get a grade as everyone else got U's. The others got A/B at GCSE all got U's because they were machined through GCSE. This is where I wonder what would of I got if I went to this school before A-levels for GCSE. I mean, I should feel proud? I didn't put lots of effort into As, some of the other students put way more effort into extra case studies or done more past papers and got a worse grade than me.

This comes to my final point about me being so ashamed of not going to a Russell Group university as many people within my year seem to be stupid but getting through A-levels/Btec and going to university. Someone in my psychology/media class thought that Glasgow was the capital of Wales and she's going to a Russel group as she's predicted ABB. Another person is going to university who bit into a candle on the joint business/geography trip as he believed it to be edible. Who the hell doesn't know that a candle isn't edible, like a bog standard birthday candle. His argument was that it was on a cake so he thought it would of been edible.

I have this image of being in my accommodation surrounded by fools. No, i'm not the cleverest person in the world but all the real fake and people lacking common sense seems to be going to university.

I've kinda gone on a massive ramble and lost the point I was trying to make but yeah.

When I was younger (about 11-14) my Dad used to take me to Cambridge a few times a year to the music shop. My parents brought me my flute from Ken Stevens so we used to wonder around Cambridge university walking between colleges. I fell in love with the old buildings, the city and everything about it really. I have this image of university being full of intelligent people who know who the prime mister is and understand what is meant by the coalition. An old library full of potential lawyers and doctors. Going to orchestra in the evening and going to the pub afterwards. I know that Portsmouth has an orchestra (one of the reasons I picked that university) but it doesn't have the right feel. I'm so embarrassed that i'm not going to a red brick, I don't have a list of A*'s and my A-levels aren't looking much better either. All I need to get into university is CCDD and i've already got my C in Geography (I just need to get an E in the summer exam) and my coursework/last years grade has made my media exam an B already.

I have no motivation to go to school or do my exams because A) I'm pretty much into university. B) I don't like my subjects except Geography because I wasn't able to pick ones I wanted. C) Even if I got A's in the summer no decent university will accept me next year for physical Geography because of my choice of A-levels. D) I some times find i'm surrounded by baboons. E) I'm not really fond of my university because I find my course wishy washy.

I'm going to stop rambling.

Is anyone else in the same boat?
    Please try to realise that Russell Group universities aren't everything! If it's any consolation - getting an education from Portsmouth University still puts you in the top 1% globally.

There's much more to university than academia and league tables don't really mean much I find.

I went to UCL for 6 months and hated it so I'm going to UEA in September - considerably lower down in the rankings but I think it's a great university.

Also - if you're really that bothered about going to a so-called top university then you could always get a first or upper second at Portsmouth and do a Master's at another university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakaroo94)
    Please try to realise that Russell Group universities aren't everything! If it's any consolation - getting an education from Portsmouth University still puts you in the top 1% globally.

There's much more to university than academia and league tables don't really mean much I find.

I went to UCL for 6 months and hated it so I'm going to UEA in September - considerably lower down in the rankings but I think it's a great university.

Also - if your really that bothered about going to a so-called top university then you could always get a first or upper second at Portsmouth and do a Master's at another university.
    UEA is an amazing university! I really wanted to go there as it's the best university for climate change (or so I believe).

It's not so much that i'm bothered is more that i'm ashamed. I just feel like I haven't achieved anything as every Tom, **** and Harry seems to be going to university. It's just little things like I wanted to go to Liverpool John Moores but my Mum kept on saying University of Liverpool to people and then people would say 'Oh, UofLiverpool is a really good university' etc then I would have to explain to them. I told my Mum a thousand times to stop saying UofLiverpool and her theory was 'Well, it's a university in Liverpool so what's the difference?!' or 'Well, *** doesn't need to know that it's not the real university'. My sister had the same problem as she went to Man Met and my step dad still doesn't count is as a university. It just seems like i'm being knocked and it's getting me down when it really shouldn't.

I'm just being petty as many people who goes to my school wants to go to university but can't as they either don't have the money or they don't have the grades.

UEA will be fun as Norwich has one of the best night life in England, or so i've been told!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not in a Russell Group university and I rather resent the implication that I'm a failure considering that the university I'm at is the best in the UK for my course. Ahhh, uni snobbery is annoying. St Andrews isn't in the Russell Group and I don't think it's a bad uni. :lol: Besides, you could turn things around. My parents met at Portsmouth and my dad ended up at Imperial for his PhD. Portsmouth's a good uni anyway, so you'll be fine

Edit: Also, if you work really hard and get good grades for your A-levels couldn't you go somewhere else through adjustment? I know some people on my course got in through that route.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just being petty as many people who goes to my school wants to go to university but can't as they either don't have the money or they don't have the grades.
    Well, the government will give them the money if they ask, so I guess the answer's grades.

ReputationRep:
    According to the The Times Good University Guide, Portsmouth has been rated the fifth best modern university in the UK and 60 overall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elitemodella)
    You seem quite arrogant and self entitled. How can you call others "baboons"? You may know the capital of Wales and know not a eat a candle () but those people have just as much reason to call you stupid because of your sub par results.
    You feel you didnt get the grades you deserved because you allowed urself to be influenced by others around you, well DEAL WITH IT! You made your bed.
    The only thing you can do is just make the best of your situation and stop whining, dont blame the school you went to, I know plenty of people that went to crap schools and came out with sick results, the bulk of ur education is what you make it.

Anywayzz w/e its ur life.
    There was 140 in my year at my secondary, of which only 13 of us have gone to university/are going to university. I know i've made my bed and i've got to lay in it but i'm 18. I wish someone would of told me the difference between a Btec and A-levels, I wish someone would of told me about RG and normal universities. I've always wanted to go to university but at 15 I didn't realise the importance of gcses. I thought all I needed was 5 A-c's so I could go to college to get my Btec then do whatever. I quit school a few months before GCSEs because I had my 5 A-c's and that my mum thought it was best me staying away. I've got a permanent scar on my hand where some people burnt it, I was threatened with a knife in year 7, I deliberately pretended I couldn't speak French and didn't do any work 'because I didn't understand' for a whole year so I could do extra PE with my friends. I had private lessons as kid and I can speak conversationally. I really wish I didn't play dumb, I really wish I took my science ISA seriously, I wish I spoke to my Geography teacher and asked how to revise and what I should of done. I was bored sitting in class learning about things I could do when I was ten. We spent 3 months doing the same thing in maths 'What is X' 4x-2=14. The first lesson I could do that in my head so I didn't bother doing the questions then I got blamed for cheating as I just wrote the answers as I didn't work it out properly. Seriously, like, wtf.

This thread has really helped me as i've realised how well i've done, and how I don't care that people look down on me. I call some people baboons because some of the people in my year are. My friend said to me 'I wished I applied to a party university but my parents wouldn't allow me'. Don't get me wrong; I love to party and drink but i'm not going to university for that. I can stay in Peterborough and get wasted. University to me is a little light at the end of tunnel that will allow me to get a good job and have some amazing experiences on the way.

I'm not a snob- i'm far from it but as some other TSR member said on this forum that Portsmouth is a second class education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Well, the government will give them the money if they ask, so I guess the answer's grades.
    My best mate isn't going to university as he's parents just earn too much and he's got 4 younger sisters. His parents can't afford to give him any money as his youngest sister is 6 and growing. It's a shame as they're a really nice family and his parents really wants him to go. He can't even work in the summer as he has to baby sit as his parents can't afford child care and his other sisters aren't mature enough to babysit the youngest one.

Also, it's surprising the amount of parents who would prefer to have a huge house and nice car than give their kids an education. Luckily, my mum is the exact opposite when it comes to education

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEarlMarshal)
    According to the The Times Good University Guide, Portsmouth has been rated the fifth best modern university in the UK and 60 overall
    I know! It's a good university but it seems to have this bad stigma like, if it's not a RG it doesn't matter. I know it's more me having the problem than anyone else having the problem with me. My Geography teacher went to Portsmouth and loved it so i'm sure i'll love it too :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, it's pretty bad to blame everyone except yourself for your grades, it'll probably help you in later life in interviews and such if you take accountability for your mistakes.

I went to a crap school too (ofsted put us on special measures for quite a while) so I do understand the atmosphere you described. You hit the nail on your head with your description of it being seen as bad to be clever and it being cool to be sent out of class. And the exercise books being set on fire reminded me of having my desk set on fire in a science lesson But I still managed to ignore the idiots and come out with a As and A*s at GCSE, as many people do in these situations, despite having to put up with being called a "swot" and "geek" and all that rubbish, so I don't believe you couldn't have managed to get your head down too. In a way it makes you a stronger person and motivates you to do well to get away from people like that.

Having said that, you've worked hard to get better AS results and Portsmouth is actually a pretty good uni compared to some so don't be too discouraged. If you're not happy with it though, maybe take a year out/find a way of doing the A-levels you actually wanted to do at a different college or through self study and reapply somewhere you'll be happier/prouder of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    I'm not in a Russell Group university and I rather resent the implication that I'm a failure considering that the university I'm at is the best in the UK for my course. Ahhh, uni snobbery is annoying. St Andrews isn't in the Russell Group and I don't think it's a bad uni. :lol: Besides, you could turn things around. My parents met at Portsmouth and my dad ended up at Imperial for his PhD. Portsmouth's a good uni anyway, so you'll be fine

Edit: Also, if you work really hard and get good grades for your A-levels couldn't you go somewhere else through adjustment? I know some people on my course got in through that route.

I know! I'm would drop anything to go to St. Andrews in a flash and i'm sure most people would who attend RG. I would also prefer to go to UEA than most other universities as its got the perfect course for me.

I have an unhealthy obsession for old buildings which is my downfall. I love history and pretty buildings :rolleyes: My friend is the exact opposite as she didn't want to go to an old university as she finds them cold and ugly! :L

That's really good about your dad. I'm a massive believer in fate, so i'm sure that Portsmouth will be the making of me. I might even find my future husband

My brother is really high up in a company and is in charge of hiring people; he had no idea what RG were and the difference between universities. He knew that the likes of Oxbridge were the best but after that he had no idea. He went to Nottingham Trent as A) he's company paid and he had to go where they sent him and B) It's the best course in the country.

Honestly, I think it's a personal thing. I just have the image of my Mum down the local shop (I live in a real snobby village) and her saying to a 'friends' mum 'Oh, my youngest is at Portsmouth' and the other mother replying with 'Oh, well, Corinne is at Durham'. I know for a fact that my mum has no idea that Durham is any good but I know for a fact that Corinnes mum will know that she's won that hand. It's like all the girls in the village have been played against each other like pawns. Each mother saying snared comments at each other. Corinnes mum said to me and my mum when I was 10 'Annalise is good at sports but my corinne is an academic, I always wonder why parents bother encouraging their kids on the field...' Just after I had won the charity fun run. It's stupid little things that get to me, it's petty and I shouldn't get caught up in it but I do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slothzilla)
    To be fair, it's pretty bad to blame everyone except yourself for your grades, it'll probably help you in later life in interviews and such if you take accountability for your mistakes.

I went to a crap school too (ofsted put us on special measures for quite a while) so I do understand the atmosphere you described. You hit the nail on your head with your description of it being seen as bad to be clever and it being cool to be sent out of class. And the exercise books being set on fire reminded me of having my desk set on fire in a science lesson But I still managed to ignore the idiots and come out with a As and A*s at GCSE, as many people do in these situations, despite having to put up with being called a "swot" and "geek" and all that rubbish, so I don't believe you couldn't have managed to get your head down too. In a way it makes you a stronger person and motivates you to do well to get away from people like that.

Having said that, you've worked hard to get better AS results and Portsmouth is actually a pretty good uni compared to some so don't be too discouraged. If you're not happy with it though, maybe take a year out/find a way of doing the A-levels you actually wanted to do at a different college or through self study and reapply somewhere you'll be happier/prouder of.
    My old school was closed down last year, it was a sad moment but it's also good.

Oh, I remember trying to set the desk on fire :rolleyes: I'm really proud of my gcses as at the time, and even now, they were good. I couldn't of done better as we didn't do higher, I got the highest in my year 9 SATs but still had to sit foundation maths. At my school you were allowed to do A-levels with C's in that subject. I could of done better at GCSE as I could of got straight C's but I did get the odd D. I was accepted into my old schools 6th form for Physics, Philosophy and Ethics , Geography and Maths but i really really didn't want to go lol. My best friend told me that A-levels were for people who didn't know what to do with life and Btecs were better as they got people jobs.

I'm proud that i'm going to university, I got told in year 10 by my deputy head of year that I wouldn't get a job serving tea and coffee let alone a proper job. She also told me that she was 10x harder on me than the others because she felt that I was clever and a waste. I think I should of listened to teachers back then, they told me that I could achieve whatever I wanted but I had to stop listening to others. I was bullied alot so I stopped going in and tried my hardest to fit in. If I caused trouble I gained friends and I got classed as a legend. Ugh, I wish I could go back and just ignore everyone. I'm hoping to go through adjustment but i've heard that RG don't usually enter?

ReputationRep:
    Stop placing the blame for your own mistakes on other people, and take some responsibility. You basically pinned getting iffy results on the people around you instead of your own laziness and lack of motivation to do so, and even look down on other people if they're not "clever/ middle class" which I assume you think is synonymous with class and intelligence. I can assure you they're not (and "dumb asses with mental problems" is fairly offensive and snotty of you, FYI.) If you're unhappy with what you've got and believe you can achieve more, own up to your mistakes, take a couple of years out and start over, but don't go chasing after some pretentious dream of going to a rah-filled red brick with naive, snobby teenagers from privileged backgrounds because you think it sounds nice and sophisticated and that's it. There's not even that much of a difference between universities and the students when you get past the ranking.

Your last post only shows that you're in this for the image and what other people think, rather than your heart being in it. You shouldn't give a **** and it's only lowering yourself to their level when you do so. No one cares about university or which one it was once it's done with, so stop focusing on this needless, unrealistic superficial nonsense.

And lastly, going to the orchestra does not make you sophisticated or clever, and neither does going to a red brick. "Surrounded by fools"... stop chasing this naive little fantasy of yours and looking down on anyone else who doesn't share the dream of a ~Russell Group uni~ and sort yourself out. You're in for a very rude awakening otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    My old school was closed down last year, it was a sad moment but it's also good.

Oh, I remember trying to set the desk on fire :rolleyes: I'm really proud of my gcses as at the time, and even now, they were good. I couldn't of done better as we didn't do higher, I got the highest in my year 9 SATs but still had to sit foundation maths. At my school you were allowed to do A-levels with C's in that subject. I could of done better at GCSE as I could of got straight C's but I did get the odd D. I was accepted into my old schools 6th form for Physics, Philosophy and Ethics , Geography and Maths but i really really didn't want to go lol. My best friend told me that A-levels were for people who didn't know what to do with life and Btecs were better as they got people jobs.

I'm proud that i'm going to university, I got told in year 10 by my deputy head of year that I wouldn't get a job serving tea and coffee let alone a proper job. She also told me that she was 10x harder on me than the others because she felt that I was clever and a waste. I think I should of listened to teachers back then, they told me that I could achieve whatever I wanted but I had to stop listening to others. I was bullied alot so I stopped going in and tried my hardest to fit in. If I caused trouble I gained friends and I got classed as a legend. Ugh, I wish I could go back and just ignore everyone. I'm hoping to go through adjustment but i've heard that RG don't usually enter?
    Ouch, ours nearly got shut down so they brought in a new head came and it's actually doing surprisingly well now! My brother and sister go there and it's amazing to hear the difference!

Aha I once had a desk thrown at me Yeah, I undertand that it's difficult in that situation, I'd be lying if I said I didn't mess around and get myself in trouble at school to get myself more friends but I still did the work at home 'cos I've always been a geek at heart xD I guess the fact that you "didn't really want to go" to the place where you could have done the subjects you wanted and the fact you listened to your friend saying that maybe shows you need to be your own person a bit more and look at your future rather than just what your mates say. And yeah I know what you mean, I got called names and such then started smoking weed and became a bit of a chav (stole stuff etc) and stopped doing as much work and suddenly had friends... It was really bad of your teacher to say that though, it's difficult to do well when even your school holds you back :/

I'm not sure, I was under the impression that some do but I'm not an expert, I'm sure someone on tsr is though? It can't hurt to have a look when you get your results or even give it a year so you know what results you got and get chance to think about what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    I recently firmed a russell group uni. Never thought it would be possible for someone like me. I went to a school that's of the lowest quality. Fully lived up to its ***t reputation. Got into a few crowds that weren't good for me. Barely scraped through with 6 gcse's. I tried to take a levels after, but dropped out by the new year. Took some time off and realised i needed to study in order to make something of myself (Being a hood rat only gets you so far ). Despite going to a really bad school, where students like myself did pretty much whatever they wished; i still took full responsibility over everythin' that happened in MY life. From the group of about 14 boys i've been in regular contact with, only 3 are going to uni, so you can imagine the lack of intelligence around me (not saying people who don't attend uni are stupid. People who spend their entire free time 'in the blocks' is what i'm on about). Anyway, so i end up doing a btec course at a college that has an even worse reputation than the school i went to. Despite the college being extremely bad at almost everythin' (even the cafeteria food was bad), i didn't let that get me down. I looked at my very average gcse's and tried my utmost to achieve something i could be proud of, in this chapter of my academic life. Despite all the personal issues i had during my time at this awful college, i still came out with a triple distinction. Every setback i had, i stopped, thought about it and came up with at least two options i could take to put myself in a better position. Never, ever, blame the people around you, or the school you attended for your failures. This is the sign of a weak personality. ALSO, You people are getting me paro! I was hoping to meet a bunch of real, down to earth people at uni. You got me thinking it's going to be full of snobs, just coz it's a russell group university 😑

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations on getting accepted into a Russell Group! I often find that people don't understand what it's like to be sucked down- having no idea what 6th forms want or the difference between btec and A-levels.

I really want to go to university- more than anything in the world. I love Geography, I love the environment- I go to sleep thinking about climate change and how our children will live in a world where many animals will be extinct! I like the sound of becoming an environmental lawyer or working in climate change.

Thanks for the support!
    If you have the passion, then it wont really matter where you go; especially for something like geography ( I do that for A-Level, wooooooop! ), if you get a first-class degree and demonstrate an ability or a genuine talent, it wont really matter where you go. The Russell Group is an arbitrary attempt to maintain the 1st Tier/ 2nd Tier structure which was around with the Poly's etc (The Group has been around for a while, though they've only really sprung to prominence in the last decade). Just do what makes you happy! And ignore other people

ReputationRep:
    Just get the grades and go through clearing....

ReputationRep:
    never compare yourself to anyone else, even if its family or friends, literally do what you want to do. Surround yourself with positive people and avoid negative people. You live once make the most of it, thats what im doing

ReputationRep:
    I got 3B's 8C's in GCSES still got 4 offers from a russel group. Dont give up even if that means retaking a third year or clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    Stop placing the blame for your own mistakes on other people, and take some responsibility. You basically pinned getting iffy results on the people around you instead of your own laziness and lack of motivation to do so, and even look down on other people if they're not "clever/ middle class" which I assume you think is synonymous with class and intelligence. I can assure you they're not (and "dumb asses with mental problems" is fairly offensive and snotty of you, FYI.) If you're unhappy with what you've got and believe you can achieve more, own up to your mistakes, take a couple of years out and start over, but don't go chasing after some pretentious dream of going to a rah-filled red brick with naive, snobby teenagers from privileged backgrounds because you think it sounds nice and sophisticated and that's it. There's not even that much of a difference between universities and the students when you get past the ranking.

Your last post only shows that you're in this for the image and what other people think, rather than your heart being in it. You shouldn't give a **** and it's only lowering yourself to their level when you do so. No one cares about university or which one it was once it's done with, so stop focusing on this needless, unrealistic superficial nonsense.

And lastly, going to the orchestra does not make you sophisticated or clever, and neither does going to a red brick. "Surrounded by fools"... stop chasing this naive little fantasy of yours and looking down on anyone else who doesn't share the dream of a ~Russell Group uni~ and sort yourself out. You're in for a very rude awakening otherwise.
    This! /thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    I'm not in a Russell Group university and I rather resent the implication that I'm a failure
    No, accept it and Loathe yourself

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.