Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    There's a difference between artificially increasing the number of women in certain fields by introducing quotas or hiring people specifically because they are female, and encouraging more women to go into that field.

I'm against gender quotas or hiring someone because of their gender (except perhaps in cases where it really is relevant). But I don't see the problem with industries taking steps to encourage more women to work in that field. And of course vice versa in jobs where women dominate.

In the software development industry I think there's probably a lot of potential talent that's being completely untapped. Not sure you could ever really expect to have a 50:50 gender ratio in computer programming, but I bet there are plenty more women out there who have the raw natural ability for it. But because of the culture around it, people assume that it's a guys thing, for most of them it probably doesn't even cross their mind to go into it. So I think it's actually in the industry's interest to encourage more women into it.

I don't really know much about film making, but I'm sure the same would apply there.
    I agree.
    But do you know what? Isnt it funny the way there is never a clamour for quotas in Laying concrete flags for the council, or digging ditches or laying tarmac or sweeping the streets or any of the other dozens of dangerous, dirty, cold, outdoor jobs done 99% by men yet the vast majority of women of working age would be more than capable of doing them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.