Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFeet)
    Lucky you then, I live in a high risk area
    Shouldn't make the insurance rise to £7000 if the car's only worth £500.

You need to have named drivers on the policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Im not sure, ive not really looked into it myself. Ive got a feeling that direct line might do it. You would have to look on the companies websites to see if they do it. If you get named drivers no claims, then you can only usually use it if you get your own policy with that company. You cant use it if you go elsewhere. Named driver no claims is good, but the only thing is if the company you are with isnt the cheapest around when you come to take out the policy, it can be a bit of a bummer.
    If you are wanting to be a named driver on a policy (e.g. your parents poicy), then make sure you actually are only a named driver. If you go round taking out a policy, but put someone else (e.g. a parent or someone) as the main driver instead of yourself and put yourself just as a named driver, basically to get it cheaper, then its called fronting. Its illegal.
    No I won't be fronting lol, but I've noticed that if I'm a named driver, it's more expensive to insure that if I put my dad as a named driver (don't know why), and a question about named driver NCB, say for example, I am a named driver for 2 years with the same company, and then I take out a policy for myself does that mean I will have 3 years NCB at the end of the year at which I take out my own policy, so if I want to get insured with another company, would I state that I've got 3 years NCB or would I state 1? (sorry for going on and on lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    Shouldn't make the insurance rise to £7000 if the car's only worth £500.

You need to have named drivers on the policy.
    Tried everything, I guess I'm unlucky to live in a high risk area

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFeet)
    I actually think the hassle is worth it because paying out £6-7k for a years insurance is unjustifiable
    £6-7K!?!?!?! what are you trying to insure? A space shuttle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)
    £6-7K!?!?!?! what are you trying to insure? A space shuttle?
    You wanna try getting a quote with my postcode?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFeet)
    You wanna try getting a quote with my postcode?
    Might as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFeet)
    No I won't be fronting lol, but I've noticed that if I'm a named driver, it's more expensive to insure that if I put my dad as a named driver (don't know why), and a question about named driver NCB, say for example, I am a named driver for 2 years with the same company, and then I take out a policy for myself does that mean I will have 3 years NCB at the end of the year at which I take out my own policy, so if I want to get insured with another company, would I state that I've got 3 years NCB or would I state 1? (sorry for going on and on lol)
    Ive also noticed that it can be cheaper to have your own policy than to be a named driver own someone elses policy. Its better to have your own policy though, as you get your own no claims bonus etc and arent restricted to staying with the same company as you would be with getting named drivers no claims bonus.
    With your other question- i believe you would have 3 years no claims bonus at the end of it. Im not 100% sure- you would have to check with the company, but i think it would be 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    Might as well
    OL9 6QB
    If you could get the premiums below £5k for a male driver then let me into your secret lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFeet)
    OL9 6QB
    If you could get the premiums below £5k for a male driver then let me into your secret lol
    One annual payment of:

£3,228.31

Only thing I changed was postcode. and that was with 0 NCB

With 1 years:

One annual payment of:

£2,160.20

Still stupidly expensive but a lot less than £7000 ahha...

ReputationRep:
    One annual payment of:

£3,228.31

Only thing I changed was postcode. and that was with 0 NCB

With 1 years:

One annual payment of:

£2,160.20

Still stupidly expensive but a lot less than £7000 ahha...
    I'm actually prepared to pay £2k tbh, was this quote for a male? And what car did you use?

Oh and which insurer or comparison site did you use?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFeet)
    I'm actually prepared to pay £2k tbh, was this quote for a male? And what car did you use?

Oh and which insurer or comparison site did you use?

Thanks
    Male: Males and females have to have the same quotes now anyway.

Co-op young drivers.

Put mileage at about 2000-3000 per year.

two named drivers (parents) at 6000 per year.

More than 10 minutes early. confident, never drive after 11, no passengers ect...

I put my uni postcode as where the car will be kept because it's cheaper and the car is there roughly half the time.

Car: 1998 Nissan Micra 1 litre.

For my current insurance I used Gogompare because it was actually cheaper than going through Admiral directly.

ReputationRep:
    Male: Males and females have to have the same quotes now anyway.

Co-op young drivers.

Put mileage at about 2000-3000 per year.

two named drivers (parents) at 6000 per year.

More than 10 minutes early. confident, never drive after 11, no passengers ect...

I put my uni postcode as where the car will be kept because it's cheaper and the car is there roughly half the time.

Car: 1998 Nissan Micra 1 litre.

For my current insurance I used Gogompare because it was actually cheaper than going through Admiral directly.
    Thanks for the tips, I've managed to get it below £4k for the first time ever lol, I know its still a lot of money but at least I'm getting somewhere haha, and coop usually don't even give me a quote for some reason, and what other cars are as cheap to insure as micra?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFeet)
    Thanks for the tips, I've managed to get it below £4k for the first time ever lol, I know its still a lot of money but at least I'm getting somewhere haha, and coop usually don't even give me a quote for some reason, and what other cars are as cheap to insure as micra?
    The old Corsa B 1 litre is usually cheap to insure because they're incredible slow

ReputationRep:
    The old Corsa B 1 litre is usually cheap to insure because they're incredible slow
    Basically any disgusting cars? lol, what car do you drive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFeet)
    I would deffinately stick with the micra as i found they are as cheap as you are going to get car wise. Also try fiat scientos- ive heard they are meant to be cheap to insure- plus they are group 1 insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFeet)
    Basically any disgusting cars? lol, what car do you drive?
    Micra isn't that bad :P Name:  Used_Nissan_Micra_2001_Silver_Hatchback_Petrol_Automatic_for_Sale_in_London_UK.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  58.0 KB

Could also get a Fiat Punto. But you know Fiat... Fix It Again Tomorrow.

I used to drive a Micra but i've got an MG ZR mk2 now.

Could have a look at a Rover 25? Their insurance is pretty cheap but it'll be a 1.4
    My MG ZR literally uses twice as much petrol at the Micra :'(

When I was doing quotes Fiestas were pretty expensive, Pugeots were really expensive and Citoren Saxo's were fairly expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Micra isn't that bad :P Name:  Used_Nissan_Micra_2001_Silver_Hatchback_Petrol_Automatic_for_Sale_in_London_UK.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  58.0 KB

Could also get a Fiat Punto. But you know Fiat... Fix It Again Tomorrow.

I used to drive a Micra but i've got an MG ZR mk2 now.

Could have a look at a Rover 25? Their insurance is pretty cheap but it'll be a 1.4
    My MG ZR literally uses twice as much petrol at the Micra :'(

When I was doing quotes Fiestas were pretty expensive, Pugeots were really expensive and Citoren Saxo's were fairly expensive.
    Managed to get insurance below £3k for a vw polo 1.2, but with one tiny little lie (Car stays parked in a garage), do you think co-operative will find out that I won't be keeping car in a garage? I don't have a garage at home but will they believe me if I say that I leave it in my uncles garage (30 second drive from my house)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFeet)
    Managed to get insurance below £3k for a vw polo 1.2, but with one tiny little lie (Car stays parked in a garage), do you think co-operative will find out that I won't be keeping car in a garage? I don't have a garage at home but will they believe me if I say that I leave it in my uncles garage (30 second drive from my house)
    You should know that co-op put a black box in the car that monitors driving. In the event of a claim they can gain access to the data that shows where the car is. They might invalidate your insurance if the car is nicked but it wasn't parked in a garage. or if someone crashes into the parked car on the street and runs off.

However the side effect of having a black box is that it provides theft tracking.
    So in the event the car is stolen the police can track it down which I pretty awesome.

Oddly saying the car is in garage can push the price up on insurance.
    This is because you can't hotwire cars anymore so the only real way to steal them is to steal the keys (or get a key coded). If the thief gains access to the garage they likely have access to the keys as well.

ReputationRep:
    You should know that co-op put a black box in the car that monitors driving. In the event of a claim they can gain access to the data that shows where the car is. They might invalidate your insurance if the car is nicked but it wasn't parked in a garage. or if someone crashes into the parked car on the street and runs off.

However the side effect of having a black box is that it provides theft tracking.
    So in the event the car is stolen the police can track it down which I pretty awesome.

Oddly saying the car is in garage can push the price up on insurance.
    This is because you can't hotwire cars anymore so the only real way to steal them is to steal the keys (or get a key coded). If the thief gains access to the garage they likely have access to the keys as well.
    If I say the car is parked in a garage then it saves me £700 lol, so basically you're saying that they won't really bother until I decide to make a claim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFeet)
    If I say the car is parked in a garage then it saves me £700 lol, so basically you're saying that they won't really bother until I decide to make a claim?
    *IF not when lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.