Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

QUB re-consideration thread- August 2013 Watch

• View Poll Results: To all those NOT holding medicine offers elsewhere, What are your interview rankings?
    375-385
    50.00%
    385-395
    25.00%
    395-405
    0%
    405-415
    12.50%
    415-425
    0%
    425-435
    0%
    435-445
    0%
    445-455
    0%
    455-465
    0%
    465-475
    12.50%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jc8994)
    Hey there

Im ranked 382 i think. Realisticly what are my chances of getting in in August?
    Thanks.
    There have always been a few places available in the past years for re-consideration in August. I would be surprised if there aren't any this year. That is highly unlikely.

There were 25-30 available last year and I think between 7-10 in the previous years.

Considering all this and the fact that there are only 6 people ahead of you means that in my view you have a good chance in August =)

Let's see if any above you will answer the poll. It might give us a clearer picture. Not sure how responsive the members are to the poll though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enicidem)
    You have to email [email protected]

It took me forever to find the email too!
    Just out of curiosity how long did it take for them to get back to you regarding your rank/feedback? I emailed them on the wednesday before good friday and still havnt heard back. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MasterZee)
    Just out of curiosity how long did it take for them to get back to you regarding your rank/feedback? I emailed them on the wednesday before good friday and still havnt heard back. Thanks
    It should normally take a week. Did you quote the ID in your email? Have you tried calling them?

ReputationRep:
    If you have not called them. Try calling them and remind them of your email, it might quicken things up a bit.

I did that once when I did not get a reply from them and it worked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goluck)
    It should normally take a week. Did you quote the ID in your email? Have you tried calling them?
    Yeah i quoted my ID, course, name as well and stated that i want feedback! Ill.ring em today and see what they say. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Evening all! Im a first year at QUB who was in this situation last year!

I was initially 33 on the waiting list, then it was revised once all the med schools had given out offers and all of those who had (medicine) offers from elsewhere were removed. (It was also my understanding that the waiting list places were only offered to NI students, but I may be wrong there). I moved up to about 13th on the revised waiting list.

Im not sure what stage UCAS is at at the minute (ie whether all the other medical schools have given out offers yet) so it might be worthwhile for someone to ask whether there will be a revised list or not.

I know that in 2010, 17 people got in off the waiting list, 2011, 10 and 2013 was approximately 25 I believe!

Hope that's helpful guys! Any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Tom

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbag1)

I was initially 33 on the waiting list, then it was revised once all the med schools had given out offers and all of those who had (medicine) offers from elsewhere were removed. (It was also my understanding that the waiting list places were only offered to NI students, but I may be wrong there). I moved up to about 13th on the revised waiting list.

Im not sure what stage UCAS is at at the minute (ie whether all the other medical schools have given out offers yet) so it might be worthwhile for someone to ask whether there will be a revised list or not.

I know that in 2010, 17 people got in off the waiting list, 2011, 10 and 2013 was approximately 25 I believe!

Tom

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks a lot for this. That will surely be helpful for those anxiously waiting.

That's interesting as you were 33 off it means you would have been on 398 initially. I am trying to calculate and if I am right it was at least until 411(in the initial list) to be re-considered and given an offer last year.

ReputationRep:
    I got a reply from Queen's for a request I had made ages ago on the number of places that opened up in August last year.

Apparently 33 places came available last year. Even more than I first thought!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awilson008)
    I got a reply from Queen's for a request I had made ages ago on the number of places that opened up in August last year.

That's a good sign then. Let's hope it's about the same this year.
    It might mean that the highest rank given an offer is at least 421 last year if I am right.

ReputationRep:

Wow! Had heard it was much more than previous years, but hasn't realised it was a many as that.

Another thing I should mention. Of the last 3 years, Aug 2011 will be the anomaly due to the uncertainty surrounding fees at the time in NI. No one in their right mind would have deferred entry as their gap year could well have cost them £6,000 a year!
    So yeah, I'd say its safe to assume that somewhere around 17-20 is normal. I get the impression last year was very high (perhaps due to CCEA exams - Biology and Maths had notably difficult papers; or perhaps somehow due to first year of MMI)

Tom

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I emailed the same day asking and had to call a few times to let them know I exist! lol they did say that due to the high number of applicants, it would take a while to get through everyone and reply! Saying that they did give me my ranking a few days later! So don't worry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbag1)

Tom

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This gives me hope Do they tell us what number we are on the new waiting list beforehand? I haven't had the heart to email them back after my ranking at the moment.. they did say to let them know my grades once I get them back but :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goluck)
    Being on waiting list at 2 schools is a stressful situation for you.

But never lose hope!

It really depends on the number of places available and the status of people above you.
    I have created a poll above which if answered could give us a slightly better picture of your chances. I am not sure how far it will help though.

Its immensely nerve wracking! I hate uncertainty but what can one do *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enicidem)
    This gives me hope Do they tell us what number we are on the new waiting list beforehand? I haven't had the heart to email them back after my ranking at the moment.. they did say to let them know my grades once I get them back but :afraid:
    You gotta keep asking. But try not to be annoying! I would reply and thank them very much for their quick answer, then ask if there will be a revised waiting list once everyone has formed their choices

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone asked for/received revised rankings after the deadline for firming offers? From what I can remember from last year, it was then that they revised the list.

----

Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbag1)
    Has anyone asked for/received revised rankings after the deadline for firming offers? From what I can remember from last year, it was then that they revised the list.

----

Tom
    No, but I was actually wondering about this. Does it actually happen? I'm just getting my hopes up more and more for August.

I would email them about it but I don't want to start annoying them saying I emailed them about 3 times after getting my rejection lol.

ReputationRep:
    Ps. guys, if we happen to receive an offer, how will admissions inform us? Will they call us or our parents, or will they just email us?

(this probably seems like a silly question, apologies)

ReputationRep:
    No, but I was actually wondering about this. Does it actually happen? I'm just getting my hopes up more and more for August.

I would email them about it but I don't want to start annoying them saying I emailed them about 3 times after getting my rejection lol.
    Nah don't worry about that, drop them a wee email! As long as you are apologetic and say something like "really sorry to bother you again, but I was just wondering if there have been any updates to the waiting list?" They honestly won't mind, it's their job :lol:

----

Tom

ReputationRep:
    Emailed admissions about the supposed 'revised list'. Thinking there wasn't any point now lol.

"Dear Mr Wilson

Thank you for your email. We only return to assess the waiting list as vacancies become available and, in any case, there are still some applicants who have a later reply deadline, since they did not receive decisions from all their university choices by 31 March.

Unfortunately, it is still not possible to predict whether or not you are likely to obtain a place this year, since much will depend on applicants’ results.

Yours sincerely

Admissions and Access Service"

ReputationRep:
    Emailed admissions about the supposed 'revised list'. Thinking there wasn't any point now lol.

"Dear Mr Wilson

Thank you for your email. We only return to assess the waiting list as vacancies become available and, in any case, there are still some applicants who have a later reply deadline, since they did not receive decisions from all their university choices by 31 March.

Unfortunately, it is still not possible to predict whether or not you are likely to obtain a place this year, since much will depend on applicants’ results.

Yours sincerely

Admissions and Access Service"
    Hmm... I don't really see their point here... Yes they won't know the number of spaces till results day. But we knew that. What we want to know is how many people ahead of you have been offered places elsewhere, thus voiding their claim to a waiting list spot.

Of course it's dependent upon results. But you can still make reasonable assumptions based on stats from previous years.

----

Tom

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.