The Student Room Group

Huff Post today - "Has The NUS Had Its Day?"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by astrojg
NO! NUS is a left wing group. FACT!

Because writing it in capitals makes it true, right?
Original post by anarchism101
Because writing it in capitals makes it true, right?

I assume you hit every branch on the patronisation tree when you were born?

Pretty much nobody denies the NUS is a left wing organisation, just look at the candidates for president each year. Even if they do go on to join Labour that doesn't immediately mark them out as faux-left wing.
Original post by HarveyCanis
I assume you hit every branch on the patronisation tree when you were born?

Pretty much nobody denies the NUS is a left wing organisation, just look at the candidates for president each year. Even if they do go on to join Labour that doesn't immediately mark them out as faux-left wing.

Like I said, like Labour they're left-wing in name only.

Look at the protests a couple of years ago: The NUS were backing a graduate tax ffs. The protesting students (i.e. presumably the left-wing students) almost totally ignored it.
I refuse to have anything to do with them because they're run by communist maniacs. Never been a member, never will be.
Reply 24
Like I said, like Labour they're left-wing in name only.

Look at the protests a couple of years ago: The NUS were backing a graduate tax ffs. The protesting students (i.e. presumably the left-wing students) almost totally ignored it.

Taxes by nature are left wing.
Original post by astrojg
Taxes by nature are left wing.

Care to explain why?
Always seemed like a club for wannabe future politicians/C.V. padders to me who were usually more in the pockets/trust of the universities than as a respectable proponent for student issues.

Edit: Also many lols at the people accusing them of being a left-wing conspiracy or something.

Your view on politics is either naive and boring or you're barely a step above skin-heads.

To the simplistic political world viewers: There's a reason why most successful political parties are centrist.

To the 'skinheads': Just accept your world views are out-dated and simply flat out flawed. try and evolve or move to the Deep South and Stay there.
(edited 11 years ago)
The NUS is an irrelevance and does not represent students. It only exists as a playground for Labour careerists and far-left idiots.
The NUS card seems to be a bit of a scam as well. I've been nowhere that gives discounts to NUS card holders that wouldn't accept my uni card instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Care to explain why?

Taxes general purpose is to redistribute the wealth and for those that are earning more to pay for towards services that everyone uses. Wouldn't you agree this is left wing?
Original post by astrojg
Taxes general purpose is to redistribute the wealth and for those that are earning more to pay for towards services that everyone uses.

I disagree. Taxes have existed for a lot longer than welfare states have and their far more fundamental purpose is to pay for the army, the police and the courts.

On a deeper level you could also say that the purpose of tax is to bind everyone to the powerful - it means people have to carry out most of their economic interaction in a specific currency, and that makes it very easy for those who control that money to control that society.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending